How can this happen in Australia?

Hi All

Listening the ABC radio the other morning interesting story about a homeless woman.

What really got me was Rochelle (interviewee) 59 years old, was married with 2 children and once worked as a teacher. Things fell apart, family and medical issues and she found herself out on the streets.

Apparently she was too embarrassed to tell any family and friends and it was not till after 12 months did she disclose this to a close friend. She slept in her car with her small dog "Sparkle". She also slept in vacant homes.

Finally she got help and now lives in a Homes west house.

I read another story in the paper on Saturday, similar scenario, 58 year old man living in his car, was not long ago he was a Project Manager for a Government Department.

How do these people who seem to be average Joe/Jill end up homeless in Australia? I find this hard to comprehend. I feel very sad for anyone in this situation and living in Australia the lucky country makes it harder to understand how this can happen.

MTR

How do these people who seem to be average Joe/Jill end up homeless in Australia? I find this hard to comprehend. I feel very sad for anyone in this situation and living in Australia the lucky country makes it harder to understand how this can happen.
MTR

i wonder this all the time, centerlink throws dollers at every man and his dog, the less you earn on paper the more money centerlink forks out.

Commonly a degree of mental illness. Here in Qld our (former Labour) government made massive cut backs on mental health spending a few years ago. It seems the various (state and federal) governments look to shift the expense to charities like Vinnies, Salvos etc. In any event a lot of people fall through the cracks.

Mental illness and lack of family support structure could most definitely be a major factor.
Government is always cutting back when it comes to Mental Health, perhaps they don't acknowledge this as a major issue???

You know you need an address to get any benefits.
So if things go badly, you lose your income then your house and don't have family that you can turn to........
Doesn't have to be mental issues.

not necessarily.

I have a relative who lives in a car - he gets an old age pension. They priority processed his pension application because he was homeless.

Jesus said, the poor you always have with you.

God 1st,jesus 2nd if your religious?If we didn't have mythical Jesus and all these religions,the world would be a better place imo.

Why were dinosaurs created well before he made Adam and Eve?

God made the dinosaurs well before He made Adam and Eve. Sometime after this event the whole world became a convulsing and chaotic MESS due to Satan's rebellion and war against God to try and take his throne (Revelation 12:7). These giant animals that children find so fascinating had been killed off before what amounts to a re-creation of all things (Genesis 1, 2). Because of Lucifer's rebellious ways God had to remake the entire world since that it would support his pinnacle of creation - MAN!

Link:http://www.biblestudy.org/question/when-were-dinosaurs-created.html

I'm going to hell if this is correct?But are we in hell now?Or inprisoned by an alien race?

Who knows?

Keep up with your bible then,that should make you feel better.

My Mother is a staunch Catholic.... our standard joke when she is visiting, when offering a glass of wine....
"is the Pope a Catholic"
when she is not around its
"is the Pope a paedophile"... ooops, sorry mum:eek:

Ha ha...i was going to post a image MTR but it appears some don't have a sense of humour :p...I posted an image on another thread and was deleted,so meh.

Sometimes life sucks and the government can't afford to catch everybody. Harsh but reality is harsh sometimes.

But the homelessness issue is nothing compared to others. Try ringing families SA to report child abuse. You will be on hold for over an hour. My record with them is 1.5 hours. Another work mate had to wait 2 hours.

The resources are stretched.

Sometimes life sucks and the government can't afford to catch everybody. Harsh but reality is harsh sometimes.

But the homelessness issue is nothing compared to others. Try ringing families SA to report child abuse. You will be on hold for over an hour. My record with them is 1.5 hours. Another work mate had to wait 2 hours.

The resources are stretched.

Hey Tim86,

The reality is if the gubberment pulled there head in and stop lining there pockets there maybe an end goal for one.

No transparency and these dh's in gubberment should be in gubberment not for the money only.

Question time is ****,NZ gubberment are more sensible.

Ozzie pollies,they will go to hell if there is one or transported to uranus,

Pretty sad all the same on your post.

Pollies don't give a fark.

Attachments

• art_w_dyson_0304-620x349.jpg
    art_w_dyson_0304-620x349.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 75
As already said repeatedly before, primarily a case of a mixture of mental illness, which may only be due to a short term chain of events causing a spiralling problem. It's very difficult to be homeless in Australia if you're physically and mentally healthy, or have been in the system for a long time - the safety net is so strong.

It's very difficult to be homeless in Australia

Farout!

the safety net is so strong.

Ha ha,you reckon?My mate who has never been unemployed,aged 53 and there making him jump through the loops despite his partner dying of cancer last year and his mother a few weeks ago.

Fact:He's enrolled to do a course next week in aged care,yet the numpty's send him letters he should be looking for 4-10 jobs per week.

Does that make sense?

Why would you look for a job if you get one and say hey i can't work as i'm doing a course?

LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Back