How can we help our son to choose what he wants to do at uni?

What about TAFE? Much cheaper way to find out what you might be interested in.
University is a very expensive way to find out that a particular degree or career isn't what floats your boat.
For the record, I never knew what I wanted to do when I left school and I didn't graduate from uni until I was 38. Spending years working in low paying boring jobs is one way to get a bit of motivation I can tell you.

What about TAFE? Much cheaper way to find out what you might be interested in.
University is a very expensive way to find out that a particular degree or career isn't what floats your boat.
For the record, I never knew what I wanted to do when I left school and I didn't graduate from uni until I was 38. Spending years working in low paying boring jobs is one way to get a bit of motivation I can tell you.

Agree with above post. Similar situation to me in fact. Did several accounts jobs until age 28 when I got a job in a law firm as their payroll manager. Seeing what lawyers earned was enough motivation for me to take an interest in university course offerings. First question I asked myself was?"at school, what subjects was I good at? . Maths and business studies. Then my next question was, "how much does my boss, the financial controller, earn"? On observing that it was about 3 times more than I earned and realising my meagre salary wasn't gonna cut it if I wanted all the trappings in life, I decided to enrol in a BComm by distance education at age 30. Graduated with an HD average and CPA program under my belt 8 years later and left that firm as their finance manager 2 years on. Now 50 and working for another firm as their CFO.

Reason I mention this is that, had I done this at age 18 with no real enthusiasm or motivation it would have been an epic fail and I doubt I would have lasted through the first semester, let alone a 6 year part time course. However, because it was something I wanted to do, as opposed to something I was told to do by parents (as many kids are) I kept motivated and finished it. When I was younger I thought I was too dumb to study at uni successfully. My situation taught me that it's not all about intelligence, (although that does help) but more to do with application, desire and hunger.

Good luck .

He's lost, and we don't know what to suggest to him.

I thought those here on Somersoft might have some insight into this little dilemma.

We went through this everytime about this time of year with all our daughters,we went to all the unis in Brisbane to see the placements
and what they offered with each one,,but each ended up at a then small now large Catholic run place on the northside of Brisbane,which ends for the last in line for us early next week at the Graduation Ceremonies in Melbourne,and looking back now in some ways it would have been better for them to take six months off after they finished school and travel the world and see the different sides of life,my opinion for your Son is get a passport and travel the blue highway for six months then come home
and decide ,,what some people call wasting time is sometimes the best investment in life..good luck..

Thanks to all who replied. He has put in his forms for entry to uni. He has chosen some subjects including business. He has time to change his mind, but at least he has the paperwork in. Better to decide NOT to go than wish he had put in the forms when it is too late to get into what he wants.

I cannot imagine him travelling the world at this stage of his young life.

I cannot imagine him travelling the world at this stage of his young life.

I'll send him off to meet up with my 19yr old niece (bit of a good looker and with her head screwed on too) - she's just finished island hopping thru Greece and is now on her way to Italy before heading back to Germany end of October.

Oh the places she's been in the last few months - including a thorough dosing of Turkey (including Gallipoli) and northern Africa ... she just decides where she wants to go next, hops on a bus and joins day tours on arrival.

Last edited:
I'll send him off to meet up with my young 19yr old niece (but of a good looker too) - she's just finished island hopping thru Greece and is now on her way to Italy before heading back to Germany end of October.

Oh the places she's been in the last few months - including a thorough dosing of Turkey (including Gallipoli) and northern Africa ... she just decides where she wants to go next, hops on a bus and joins day tours on arrival.
Or my 20yo daughter who has been travelling Latin America for the last 18 months, by herself- and having a blast.

Mind you, there are some places I'd rather she not have gone. Like a 60km bicycle ride along Death Road yesterday.

Wylie, here are some of the careers I've thought about changing into after being bored with engineering. Could be food for thought for him?

Phyiso - Hands on working with people. Could be sports related if he is into sports? I think there will be a need for physios working with the baby boomers as they age?

Ambulance medic - Fast pace, high stress, rewarding..

Fireman - Ok this one is for the fitness and the sx appeal with the ladies :)

Surveyor - I noticed this was discussed earlier.. agree it is a good career with a mix of indoor/outdoor work.

Dog handler with the police/customs - does he like animals?

Airline host - travel perks :)

Our 17 year old son has a week to put in his choices (six?) for uni. He is unsure what he wants to do at uni, unsure even if he wants to go to uni, but we think he is better served to chose six courses and apply for them so that he has the option.

His issue is that he has no idea what he wants to do. He spoke to a friend recently who is studying law, but is now working full time whilst studying. He said if he had his time again, he would do a business degree because there are so many careers or jobs that would benefit from having a business degree.

He thought that with a business degree, in the first year, there was no need to choose which direction to head, but that one would get a taste of eight different subjects and one would hopefully "click" with one and decide to head in that direction.

The other degree I've heard about is an Arts Degree. I've heard this is the "Clayton Degree" or that it is not worth the paper it is written on. These are not my words, and I have no idea what is involved in an Arts Degree, but it seems to have a stigma of "didn't know what to do at uni... so did an Arts Degree".

I don't want him to decide not to apply, and then in five months decide he made a mistake but I'm not against him getting a job and deciding over the next year or so whether he wants to study.

We've discussed this over the weekend and jobs he has expressed some glimmer of interest in have been architect, town planner. But he really is just plucking things from the air. He also mentioned being a teacher, but again, I think he is just totally lost.

Any wise words, any advice about what he could do as a general "heading in the right direction" sort of degree.

Back in my day, I got a job in a bank, but could just have easily gone into the council, insurance company, state government. I'm guessing those "easy" jobs are not so easy without a degree these days? Do insurance companies, banks and government departments take on school leavers these days? I know they might want graduates, but what about the general back office work, telling as the entry point for these types of employers.

He isn't interested in doing plumbing or electrical apprenticeships. He is an average student, with study he could have been doing much better. He has a quick brain, but he is lazy, and my other concern is having gone through school with minimal work and almost no study, whether uni would be a huge shock to him. He has worked hard this year, but until this year, he coasted through on minimal work.

He's lost, and we don't know what to suggest to him.

I thought those here on Somersoft might have some insight into this little dilemma.

Hi Wylie

Very long thread, not read all comments.

I am in the same situation with my daughter, its been a very stressful year exams etc, she has no idea what she wants to do.

She is taking 1 year off and work part time, earn some money and travel. I think this will clear the head a little and she will have plenty of time to research.

Fees are so costly, I would rather we take our time with the process than make the wrong decision.

MTR

Treat him a trip to NZ?

It's close.

They speak a sub-dialect of proper Australian English.

No snakes.

The spiders are pretty lame compared to Australia.

And save for the occasional tourist who gets crushed by falling ice because they went past the barriers at Franz Josef Glacier, it is actually pretty safe.

If he hates travel it is a 3 hr flight home.

Too easy.

Back