How did you start?

I have been fumbling around this forum over the last week or two and have become quite addicted. I thought I'd join in by introducing myself through the thread "How did you start"?

Allow me my indulgace as I clamber onto my soapbox!

Bought a house with my fiance in 1987, (Little more than a fibro shack) for $46.5K. Married in 1988. In the same year I changed jobs from working as a kitchen hand to learning how to build home improvements, ( Awnings, carports screen and glass enclosures) originally the idea was to go into the sales side of the business but It was decided that if I were to sell the products I had to know how they went together. 1994 I started my own Home improvement business and I never looked back. Paid the house off in 20 monthes (56 K) in 1996 and also did every improvement imaginable... brick veneered it, two extensions, new kitchen, bathroom ra ra ra.
The Final house payment was gratifying, there was a sense of crossing the finishing line ...... and I was only 31. I floundered for a few monthes and decided that I needed to commit myself to another property as I wasn't saving any money and those weekly payments that I used to make seemed to be just frittered away.

I ended up buying another hardiplank shack across the road from me in the same street. Paid $97 K. Spent another $23 K
doing it up, new kitchen, bathroom, carport, windows etc.
Rented it out for $175.00 per week to excellent tenants. Managed the property myself. No problems. This house was actually paying itself. Everything was looking sweet as........

1998..... Wife wanted to seperate.....

Things wern't looking as sweet anymore....

1999 moved to Umina on NSW central coast, I owned a caravan
there and thought that if I was going to be miserable ,I might as well be miserable by the sea.
My wife got the house I got $50 K. We settled amicably although we actually lost money on our investment property.

2000 Bought an old red brick house with an inground pool for
$220K. I was about to move in then decided that I wasn't going to spend the next ten years doing this one up. So I took to it with a crow bar and rendered it uninhabitable. I removed all the doors, skirting, architraves , demolished the bathroom, pulled up the carpets. I had that many skips that my neighbours must have wondered what was actually left inside the house. After 6 monthes I finally moved in and the inside of the house was complete.... or so I thought.

2002 Using house No 1 I bought another brick veneer home in the same suburb. I was at an auction and the property was passed in. I bought it a few days later for $230K. I improved the house with new a new carport, awnings, fencing and a new paint job. This house also has a rear lane access with a garage.
I partitioned the back yard and kept the garage for my own use and rented out the house to new tennants. I manage the property myself.

2003. Using House 1 & 2 I have just had loan approved on another old red brick house for $325K.
House 1 valued @ $400K
House 2 valued @ $330K
House 3 Valued @ $325K

Being self employed I have used Low doc loans, with a LVR of 80%, sure you pay a premium in interest rates but considering the capital growth of the peninsula recently, I figure it is well worth it. My strategy is buy and hold. Both investments are negatively geared and there is only so many -ve geared properties that one can afford. I would like to investigate +ve
cashflow properties at a later stage, but for the moment I am thinking about capital growth. I have read a number of books and have been bitten by the bug. I think this forum is an invaluable resource.
Things are looking sweet again...............

Angela Anaconda

"Divorce....better at 33 than 53.....!!!!
Andrew Jackson

:)

Jeez, you've got me real confused - are you Andrew or Angela??

Upon re-reading, I think you are Andrew even if the signature seems to belie that.....

Anyway, Andrew, it sounds like you are well on the way, and congratulatons for that - but I'm still interested to hear what the deal is with IP #1
the inside of the house was complete.... or so I thought.
What gives, Andrew? Is this the one you are still living in? Still doing it up? Whatever, it sounds like you are progressing, so well done.

Stay in touch, won't you?

Regards,

Hi Les.........The cat is out of the bag

Yes you are right it is Andrew. My girlfriend's youngest daughter
calls me Angela Anaconda, (something to do with being a big fat snake !!!!!!!)

I had trouble when registering, even with following simple instructions !! So hence both my real name and the signature
appear.

Thanks Les , for being the first to reply to my first post. I was begining to get disapointed that I didn't get any replies and probably would have deleted it ,if I had been able to.

Re house 1: this is the house that i live in.
When I stated the inside was complete or ....so I thought.
I should have elaborated to say I didn't stop there. Being fairly...NO ...Very impusive I closed in the garage to make my office, built a gable carport then built a glass enclosure
12 x 6.00 m and added on another bathroom. There is just landscaping and fences left to do.

I wouldn't mind posting a few pictures in this forum, I have noticed that a number of forumites have included them in their posts. My problem is I don't know how to. I have had this computer for 17 monthes and I've dtill not copied anything to a disc!!!!
So if anyone is interested in giving me a few pointers on how to post a picture, I would really appreciate any advice........beside's the obvious such as do a course or read the manuels !!!!!

Thanks Les

Hi Andrew and WELCOME!!!

You may not have had many replies because your thread was separate to the other 'How did you start' thread. Unfortunately as soon as someone posted in that thread, your's would have quickly fallen down the list.

Thankfully Les has rescued it and brought it back up to the top of the pile :)

Sim has posted a few times on how to attach pictures, have a look at this post and see if it makes any sense!

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=46871#post46871

Ruby :)

G'day AJ,

Thanks for the explanation. You gotta love little girls (well, little people - both kinds - they don't have too many inhibitions, do they ;) ) We can't call you AL (someone else called "Always Learning has grabbed that acronym) - but, thanks to the little girl, you might end up as AA ;) Then again, AJ is probably still vacant.

Anyway, welcome aboard Andrew - sounds to me like you are doing pretty well for a 30something so certainly, don't even think of giving up now.

Re "low doc loans" and "there is only so many -ve geared properties that one can afford" - you will likely find some very useful info on the forum - especially Rolf Latham and Steve Navra - do a search on each of these venerable individuals, and read till your hearts content. There are always "other ways" to move ahead - and I reckon you are now on the best place to find a whole heap of "other ways".

Welcome,

Regards,

Back