How do I get a snake out of my armchair?

Good pick up... but I don't live in Wylie Avenue. It is only a few streets away though. I know it well and I know several people in the street. I had to pick a user name and that was the one I picked. I once fell into a pool in Wylie Avenue at a children's birthday party, fully clothed... was rather funny and amused the kids no end...

And I'd like to know how you tell what is a local cane toad. I don't plan on getting close enough to find out :eek:.

Actually, I do remember now that quite a few years ago I found a big fat cane toad sitting in the dog's water bowl one morning. He took up the whole bowl. Poor dog would have got a big shock if he tried to have a drink.

Dog is a toy poodle. Probably too big for this snake to swallow. He wouldn't know what to do with it, probably bark at it, but he is too smart to take it on (I hope).

Rosie the wonder dog is a miniature poodle cross.

We had a gorgeous blue tongue in a drain pipe in the yard who often used to sun on the path. Rosie would bark at it constantly. Once she got close and was bitten on the flank. It healed up fine but for years she had a circle of much darker furt here.

Sadly the blue tongue was killed by a visiting terrier. Happened in a instant. It picked it up and shook it and quickly killed it. Then sat back very proud with himself.

But for years Rosie was very cautious of the drain pipe and couldn't pass it without a bark or a sniff.

So I guess your poodle might well try and get in close if she is anything like Rosie.

I remember going to a snake show with my kids in Brisbane years ago. I remember the fellow made a comment that 10% of old queenslanders would have a carpet snake in the ceiling space. He said it was a good thing as they not only ate rats and mice but also wouldn't stay if the environment wasn't healthy.

It is a gorgeous snake and I'd be thrilled to share my yard with it.

Lovely animal.

Will be the cheapest form of pest control you have ever had.

My parents have had a few diamond pythons over the years, and they are also encouraged to hang around.

That is a SCRUB Python. A COMPLETELY different species that feeds on larger and different animals than what a Coastal Carpet Python does.

I would bet $1000 that if there was an altercation with wylie's Toy Poodle and this snake, the snake would end off second best and more than likely get killed (whether instantly from a tussle, or after a few days from getting crushed and having failed organs).

I have seen far more dead/injured reptiles from cats/dogs than I have seen the other way around.

A snake isn't going to go for something that much bigger than itself that doesn't even smell like it's usual food source when it has easier prey scooting around the palm trees in the backyard.

No need for hysteria here!

To be honest, my biggest fear is that had I not heard the clatter of the plastic spray bottle, I could so easily have simply walked around the island bench without "looking" for whatever made the noise, and I could have so easily stood on it. I would hate to have crushed it by standing on it. I guess it is unusual for it to be slithering along on my kitchen floor?

Would it normally stay outside?

Good pick up... but I don't live in Wylie Avenue. It is only a few streets away though. I know it well and I know several people in the street. I had to pick a user name and that was the one I picked.
So your name doesn't come from the coyote? ...
And I'd like to know how you tell what is a local cane toad.
... Which is well known for chasing its prey, the toad runner.

That is a SCRUB Python. A COMPLETELY different species that feeds on larger and different animals than what a Coastal Carpet Python does.

I would bet $1000 that if there was an altercation with wylie's Toy Poodle and this snake, the snake would end off second best and more than likely get killed (whether instantly from a tussle, or after a few days from getting crushed and having failed organs).

I have seen far more dead/injured reptiles from cats/dogs than I have seen the other way around.

A snake isn't going to go for something that much bigger than itself that doesn't even smell like it's usual food source when it has easier prey scooting around the palm trees in the backyard.

No need for hysteria here!

O.K. point taken, it's a different snake, but I would still be keeping the dog away. Maybe this one is more relevant? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morelia_spilota_mcdowelli

Cheers

Jen

This was the latest skin we found down by the water tank - that's a normal 30cm ruler next to it ... still haven't seen the naked brown snake yet ... but have seen a few red bellied blacks.

And - WOW - python or poisonous - that would be one scary snake to find in the house late at night!

Attachments

• WP_20131031_001.jpg
    WP_20131031_001.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I remember going to a snake show with my kids in Brisbane years ago. I remember the fellow made a comment that 10% of old queenslanders would have a carpet snake in the ceiling space. He said it was a good thing as they not only ate rats and mice but also wouldn't stay if the environment wasn't healthy

I had a friend house sitting for their mum up at byron bay area, she had something in the roof, pesty (or whatever) came along and saw it was a python and refused to remove it, said it's better to have it, cause it will get rid of all the rodents. She was not impressed. haha. Her mum however didn't mind, so presumably it's still there

Speaking of brown snakes and red bellied

It's a snake eat snake world

We're hoping our red bellies eat the browns

that's the rumour I have been told, plus they are not aggressive. on my parents property, we never kill the red bellies for this reason, although dad hit a large one by accident with the slasher, and it chased him for a long time around the paddock...

EDIT: internet seems to have both views...so not sure if they eat browns in general or not

Back