How do I keep the birds off our verandah?

We have a small verandah at the second level of our house and it's seldomly used especially during winter. I had a look at it last weekend and the grills and walls were full of bird poo! I've cleaned it off thoroughly but just after a few days it's starting to build up again. What's the best way to keep the birds out? I was thinking of putting a cd mobile as that's what's recommended to keep the birds out of the veggie garden however I don't like the idea of hanging cds in front of our house. What esle can I do to keep the birds off?

We have a small verandah at the second level of our house and it's seldomly used especially during winter. I had a look at it last weekend and the grills and walls were full of bird poo! I've cleaned it off thoroughly but just after a few days it's starting to build up again. What's the best way to keep the birds out? I was thinking of putting a cd mobile as that's what's recommended to keep the birds out of the veggie garden however I don't like the idea of hanging cds in front of our house. What esle can I do to keep the birds off?

BB GUN. Most bird deterrents dont work but watching one of there mates drop in front of them soon gets the message across. Cats too:eek:

I have heard about putting a rubber snake out as they are supposed to be scared of them, I have not tried this tho.

Also there is a product that a licensed pest controller can apply which will deter them but not kill them.

Just get rid of anywhere they can sit and s*it. Got open rafters in the verandah they can perch on? Line it with something.

Could be easier said than done of course, depends what the structure of your verandah is like.

Fishing line tied a couple of inches above where they sit. String it across where they perch.. It's also not an absolute eye-sore.

Regards
Steve

Thanks to all of the replies. :) The verandah is smallish around 3x2 sqm I think. It has waist-high walls on both sides and grills in front, with roof. I think I'll try both the fish line and the snake. I'll post the results later.

Back