How Do I monitor the quality of my build?

Hoping someone can provide me with some advice or a helpful link.

I'm currently building a home north of Brisbane with Burbank. The build has only started in the last few weeks. My question is, how do I monitor the quality of the build? Do I hire another builder to check the progress of the build at each stage, and report back to me? Or is this something I needn't worry about?

I'm sure it's a simple process, but I'm just unsure as to how it all works. If anyone could spare a second to let me know, it would be very much appreciated.. :)

The builder will have a supervisor looking after the job but regular calls to your point of call to see how things are going. Do regular inspections, ask questions.

If things are all go, were you happy with these guys when getting prices? Do you feel confident with them or is out just a general check to know what they're doing Is correct?

If you don't have building experience you are relying on them to do a quality build, so as long as they have experience are reputable and forthcoming and helpful you should be right. They are covered by warranties and what not these days so as long as you didn't get dodgey bros to build for you it should be good.

Scott should be in soon to give you more info!

I would recommend a progress inspection done.

It is a private inspection that has no affiliation with the company that is building your home.

They do an inspection at slab pre pour stage, frame stage or prior to gyprock- prior to gyprock is better value for money, lock up stage and final hand over. If you are having doubts it would be worthwhile you getting this done so you can sleep at night knowing your house is being built right. It will cost a few hundred dollars per inspection.

Brian is totally correct. As with talking with other SS members that an independent check at each major build milestone can give you that re-assurance.

Unless you are a builder yourself then do you have an idea of what you are looking for?

And if assume there are defects how would you convince your builder they need to fix it unless you know specific BCA code that does not comply.

I would recommend a progress inspection done.

It is a private inspection that has no affiliation with the company that is building your home.

They do an inspection at slab pre pour stage, frame stage or prior to gyprock- prior to gyprock is better value for money, lock up stage and final hand over. If you are having doubts it would be worthwhile you getting this done so you can sleep at night knowing your house is being built right. It will cost a few hundred dollars per inspection.

Brian may I ask who you have used in the past? Recommendations?

Thanks

Thanks very much for the replies.

I live in Sydney, so won't be doing my own inspections.. not that I would have a clue what I'm looking for anyway.

Seems to be all above board at this stage, but just unsure as it's all new to me.

I might have a look into an independent inspector. Any recommendations would be most welcome.

Brian may I ask who you have used in the past? Recommendations?

Thanks

I am an inspector myself. Well in the process of setting up my next business anyway. I also have a carpentry business that does framework for new homes throughout Sydney so I know what to look for when building a house. I have also seen plenty of homes been built from start to finish.

This is very difficult.

By that I mean builders can do very ordinary work (aka poor quality to even my or your standards and we're not builders) but it's not actually deemed defective. Things like ugly or poorly finished flashing, concreting etc.

Worse still, the problems may be hidden and not become apparent for many years. e.g. handfuls of nails left in your gutters, gutters/downpipes blocked with tile pointing material and debris, hidden roof defects etc.

Equally when you're not on site they often make poor decisions when faced with problems - read take the easiest and cheapest way for them e.g. upon survey a neighbour's fence (portion between side of their house and the boundary that prevents access down the side of their house to their backyard) is found to partly encroach your property. No problems your builder builds around it and you end up with part of the neighbour's fence poking through your fence.

You best defence is selecting a builder that will build to your expectations.

Back