How do I paint a laundry tub?

Enamel paint is what you need.

My Dad bought a secondhand fridge years ago and painted it up like new with enamel paint. Later on, Mum decided that he should paint the lid of the big chest freezer in the laundry as it was a little rusty. So he unscrews the hinges, takes the lid to the workshop and paints it up real nice. When it was dry he went to screw it back on and was having trouble so he pulled the freezer away from the wall. It was a little wobbly because there was a block of ice stuck to the underside. Further investigation revealed a hole had rusted through the bottom. Anyway Dad acquires another slightly bigger, somewhat newer chest freezer for free (that's another story).

New freezer would not fit in old spot so decides to move cupboard. Now he needs new lino because there wasn't any under cupboard and the old lino was showing it's age anyway. Some floorboards needed replacing under freezer and laundry trough. Trough looks a little old, so it's replaced, new paint and new architraves as well; all because mum wanted the lid of the freezer painted.

I guess it all needed doing and would have only got worse but sometimes you wonder if you should not start some things.

Depending on the damage and how adept you are, spray paint (automotive or specific appiance type) is not bad.

The Y-man

Have painted a couple now with White Knight rust guard hammered finish.
Chose a very dark grey, used a very small detailing roller and small brush for
awkward areas. Make sure its done in cooler period out of sunlight.
Get a great finish with no brush marks and because the paint is thick covers
all imperfections, chips etc. (painted inside as well)
First coat doesn't come up the best but secound looks great (professional).

Yeah sure doesn't look white anymore but most people now have stainless
appliances so not being white is no big deal.

I am looking to paint the laundry metal cabinet and i was wondering which brands of enamel paint you have used? I was also thinking of using
White Knight tub n tile but its too expensive ($79.99 at Bunnings (WA)).

Do you also need to prepare the surface? If so, what do you use?

Attachments

• 5553aed3-45dc-461c-81da-7514d677ddce.jpg
    5553aed3-45dc-461c-81da-7514d677ddce.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 387
white knight tub n tile paint is expensive but its pretty good
i guess it depends if your looking for a quick fix or want it to stay great for years to come.

imo $80 to do something that should last ~10 yrs and will look great is good value for money
im sure you wouldnt use all the stuff either so could do other things with it aswell

how much to buy a new one?

Tano it's not worth spending money on an old tub. I had one in an IP and didn't want to buy a new one so I just sprayed the side with a tin of cheap white spray paint.
Or look on Ebay. They are not that expensive.

Back