How do I take the handle off a garden tap?

OK this may be a stupid question, but I don't know the answer. How do I go about removing the knob on a garden tap so no-one can turn it on?

I live in a new estate, last summer I had a problem with all the landscapers (the ones who do the curbs and park areas and are paid by the main development company out here) using our water to water all the plants. We complained numerous times and it finally stopped (at least mostly stopped) after we threatened to send then the water bill.

Now, just five minutes ago I found them out there again using our water for the curbside plants. I chased them off, but I can see this happening repeatedly just like last year - unless I can stop them using the tap.

You can buy taps with a removable top. Might be worth looking into getting one of these. I have one on a rainwatertank at my old house - the tank is outside the fenced area and I don't like people stealing the water. The removable handle kind of keys into the top of the tap, I keep it on a keyring with the shed keys. They cost less than $20.

I was going to say what RE said, but add that most parks and garden type people would probably carry the "key/handle" with them, as this system is pretty common in parks, public toilets etc.

You maight be able to get someone to make a U shaped bracket to go over the tap and secure with a padlock.:)

Check the bike locks that are put onto the wheels (pushies that is - not motorbikes). They are U shaped and blackish in colour and may be able to be modified or adjusted to suit your requirement.

If you have standard horizontal taps, then these locks could possibly come from underneath and secure the top from being moved or turned.

Just a thought.

g

A few links of chain of the right size to grab the tap handles and a padlock works. Sometimes if the tap is the right size and shape you can get by with just the padlock - the ones with the long arms on them.

...but I don't know the answer. How do I go about removing the knob on a garden tap so no-one can turn it on?

They're called vandal proof taps. You need a key to operate them. Bunnings?

Attachments

• vandalprooftap.jpg
    vandalprooftap.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 240
  • key.jpg
    key.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 367
A length of chain and a padlock may do the trick. Wind the chain tightly around the tap and handle so the handle can't be moved (or the chain shifted) and padlock it.
Marg

I hope you're in a better area than my old house. I had a pump chained and padlocked down - they stole the pump ($500) and the padlocks :rolleyes:

Padlocks are there as a temptation for passing idiots to pick, I swear.

OK this may be a stupid question, but I don't know the answer. How do I go about removing the knob on a garden tap so no-one can turn it on?

I live in a new estate, last summer I had a problem with all the landscapers (the ones who do the curbs and park areas and are paid by the main development company out here) using our water to water all the plants. We complained numerous times and it finally stopped (at least mostly stopped) after we threatened to send then the water bill.

Now, just five minutes ago I found them out there again using our water for the curbside plants. I chased them off, but I can see this happening repeatedly just like last year - unless I can stop them using the tap.
Depending on the way the plumbing is set up,you could always have a plumber install,a service-cut off valve in the internal part of the house that way just shut-down the water supply too that tap,even with the none -handle type taps unless it has a lockable set-up and can't be opened all the others are useless,most water duffers bring their own tools with them unless it's locked,then they just move nextdoor:rolleyes:,,imho willair..

Agree with Propertunity. The only sensible way to go. You will need to replace existing tap with a vandal proof /tamper proof tap (as pic shows) and the keys are available at Bunnings too. Local councils etc use the same taps for the same purpose.:):)

Easiest option by far is the vandal proof tap. Try bunnings, if they don't have them then go to reece or a plumbing shop. People will see that it doesn't have a handle there so they will just move onto the next one.

Other than that, you could pay $$$ to a plumber and get a isolation point put in. But then you will have to turn two taps on to use it! :rolleyes:

bann2.jpg

Here's another type ;)

Fits over a normal tap

I'd go with this. Too easy for them to get a key for vandal proof tap.

Well, actually, I'd buy three metres of chain and a padlock - wrap it every which way around he tap so it looks more like a garden sculpture than a tap, just so the message is clear. Yes, I know I'm an **** :)

do they wear company branded clothes? Take photos of them turning the tap on/fitting up the hose etc. Do it descrete first, then go and do it very obviously and tell them you will be contacting their employer about it.

If you want to go to that trouble and get pictures, contact the police.

They are stealing.

But I think Redwing's idea the best. Just get a huge padlock.
Marg

Back