How do some agents stay in business??!

After having a not so hot last week (was ill with a nasty virus for a couple of days) I managed to drag myself to one inspection that looked great on paper. The listing agent was less than helpful on the phone however this didn't deter me as I knew the area, the street and the general types of homes in this particular suburb.

When I was inspecting, I asked my usual list of innocuous questions, ranging from "When was the property built?" through to more challenging ones involving easements, access and occupation certificates :D However, it soon became clear that this LISTING agent must have been asleep when she took on these vendors as she clearly knew nothing about the place!

Is the pool salt water or chlorine? I'm not sure
Does it have solar? I'd have to check
When was the extension built and is it approved? You need to check with council... (When I suggested she ask the owners as they may have plans she looked genuinely surprised!)
Does the spa work? I assume so..
Is the carpet a 50/50 mix or pure wool? I don't know
Where's the electricity box? Um... outside I think
etc etc

When I looked up this agents details on the OFT NSW site it didn't surprise me in the least she only just got her certificate of registration 4 mths ago! Not only did she not pay attention in any of her classes (Selling 101 for example) but her lack of knowledge and enthusiasm was simply pathetic. Really, why do some people bother getting into RE if don't get to know the property they're selling on behalf of the poor owners :roll eyes:

She's probably an agent's rep. They get stuck with all the boring tasks :)

She's not but even if she was, that's no excuse and it won't surprise me to see her out of the industry in the next 12 mths. Some people are simply not cut out for selling!

When was the extension built and is it approved? You need to check with council... (When I suggested she ask the owners as they may have plans she looked genuinely surprised!)
etc etc

That's not that bad, I once looked at a place and the real estate agent quoted the wrong block size and current rental income. And she didn't know when the house was built.
She had blue fingernails, that should have been a give away to her level of professionalism.

Just don't get me started on (some) agents.

We went through the experience of helping our son buy a home in Brisbane in May 2010. He chose a suburb that flooded in 1974. We knew it well as hubby's parents lived nearby in 1974 and their house flooded so we were concerned.

We were treated like the village idiots for even raising the subject except for one agent who was well prepared with accurate information.

We stuck to our guns, son bought high and dry and the floods swept through less than 12 months later in January 2011 - I just wish I had kept the cards of the agents who categorically stated that Brisbane would NEVER flood again.
Marg

But would it stop you from purchasing?

The sale is in getting the listing. I think in many circumstances an open home could be just that, leave the front door open - that's it.

That's a little narrow-minded. Are you an oil painting, or a bonds model?

Pinkboy

He wasn't saying that she was unattractive.. just that it was noted that the way she acted when doing here job was at the same "professional" levelas her appearance !

But would it stop you from purchasing?

The sale is in getting the listing. I think in many circumstances an open home could be just that, leave the front door open - that's it.

Not being able to find basic information / getting mocked for asking a question that the REA doesn't know the anser to can have that effect sometimes... Unless the deal is has so much more opportunity, but on average I keep hearing that the deal of a lifetimes comes arounbd every week/2 weeks/month.... so why push whatever you call it uphill for no reason ??

Whilst it can be frustrating dealing with inept, ill-informed and ignorant rea's, there is a bright side. If they are pathetic in their interaction with you as buyer, consider they are likely to be consistently pathetic. This puts most folks off.

If you are patient enough with them and persistent for the information you need, you are likely in a better position as there will be less competition for the product they are marketing. Some folks just give up as they are put off

The inept rea could be an investor's greatest ally if handled correctly. We had one not so long ago who was working more for us than he was for the vednor he was representing. What I've described above works best in current markets. When things are hot, properties tend to sell themselves irrespective of the calibre of the selling agent.

Whilst it can be frustrating dealing with inept, ill-informed and ignorant rea's, there is a bright side. If they are pathetic in their interaction with you as buyer, consider they are likely to be consistently pathetic. This puts most folks off.

I agree fully player. When I was buying residential real estate, there was nothing better than getting a plonker of a REA. As a keen Buyer, it gave me a distinct advantage, as most apathetic Buyers simply would wait to be spoon fed by the agent.

If they got angry / frustrated with the answers provided, they'd usually move on to a REA who was 'nice'.

Of course, the fundamental questions that made me primarily interested in the property, things like ;

• Asking Price
  • Land Area
  • Frontage
  • Zoning

all were known straight off the bat. If the deal stacked up after that primary lot (mainly to do with land and $), then you delved deeper to see if it was a screaming bargain or just a good deal with the secondary lot of questions, which centred around the structure. Things like ;

• Number of bedrooms
  • Number of bathrooms
  • Condition of roof
  • Status of kitchen and bathroom

If the property passed all these as well, you were nearly home and hosed.

The questions below, IMO, are not relevant to the purchase decision whatsoever, add no value to the property as a whole, and most could be answered within 10 minutes with a decent walk around.

etc etc

The council question would be done as part of your DD. No point asking the Vendors....unless they volunteer the information, which you would be hard pressed to get them to warrant it to such a degree that it stood up in a court of law. Anything less, like most of the info a REA gives you, which they don't warrant, is useless to you if it is wrong or incomplete.

I'm not, no. But I do dress appropriately when meeting clients.

I just don't see how blue nail polish determines inappropriate dress, or 'unprofessionalism'. it might make her feel comfortable or confident?

I run my own business and meet face to face with clients - do you think my piercings are costing me that $million deal I'm chasing?

Pinkboy

I just don't see how blue nail polish determines inappropriate dress, or 'unprofessionalism'. it might make her feel comfortable or confident?

I run my own business and meet face to face with clients - do you think my piercings are costing me that $million deal I'm chasing?

Pinkboy

Do you think there are ever situations in the work environment where appearance plays is considered by either employees / employers or customers ?

Pinkboy

People are superficial and judge books by their covers (including me). Depending on the industry that you are in, I would say that your piercings might be costing you some money.
Would I go to a GP that had a tattoo on his neck and cheek for example? Probably not.
Might not be the same for you, but it is for me and I know that there are a lot of people out there that share my views on this.

Pinkboy

pinkboy perhaps it would depend on the nature of your business and the expectations of your clients?

time will tell if your presentation helps or hinders or is irrelevant to your business and its success.

When I sold a fully renovated property last year I made a list of all the upgrades, renovations and some minor details of applicanes, warranties etc...

I framed the list and placed it on display in the kitchen along with like a display home sought of.

Listed evrything from new screws in the hinges, insulation in the roof, new pipes under the floor (things the average buyer would overlook during an open).

The agent was happy (less work for them) and I was happy to make sure any potenail buyers had an idea of the amount of work that had been done.

End result - Sold in slowing Melbourne Metro market in 4 days setting a record for a 1970's bult 2 bedroom unit in the suburb....still the highest to :)

The questions below, IMO, are not relevant to the purchase decision whatsoever, add no value to the property as a whole, and most could be answered within 10 minutes with a decent walk around.

I guess if Jacque is looking at the property as a buyers agent, she needs to know these answers for the absent purchaser.

I must admit I have altered my appearance artificially, having a full mouth reconstruction, including 14 teeth extractions, 14 root canals and 28 new crowns :D:D:D!

So I have A-grade pearly whites and a few earrings, not sure I'm scaring off potential clientele. I don't show clients my others though, it might make them a little uncomfortable ;)

But just in case, I won't smile, just like I never used too!

Pinkboy

I must admit I have altered my appearance artificially, having a full mouth reconstruction, including 14 teeth extractions, 14 root canals and 28 new crowns :D:D:D!

So I have A-grade pearly whites and a few earrings, not sure I'm scaring off potential clientele. I don't show clients my others though, it might make them a little uncomfortable ;)

But just in case, I won't smile, just like I never used too!

Pinkboy

Throw up a picture of your IM outfits :p

Back