How do you determine main or busy road?

I'm interested in a property that sits on carlingford road in Carlingford NSW. Carlingford road itself is a 2 lane each direction type of road and only seems to be busy with normal family car traffic. No truckies will go pass this road

I do understand that a MAIN road affects the value of the property, but how would one determine if its a main or just a mere busy suburb road.

Side question:
Do you guys reckon the place's doable with the following:
- The house itself is positioned right to be back of the 700sqm land and it is mild sloped down from entrance. From my impression, the noise is min.
- 5 mins walk to the local Carlingford westfield shopping mall and another asian mall
- 5 mins drive to Epping train station (non peak hour traffic)
- walk out of the property and a bus stop right at the right hand side

It's still a fairly busy road in my opinion. I'd suggest going there at 8am on a weekday to gauge the busyness. My rule of thumb is to avoid roads that are named after the suburb itself.

Great advice ,Go and check it out .

It is pretty busy during morning and afternoon traffic but quitens down during the day.
Go down the driveway and stand on the front porch and listen.

Hi lovecolt,

The word "Road" is a good hint, although not always the case.

I do however know Carlingford Road and would consider it a main road.
]
When you say "doable" do you mean a good investment? Here is my opinion for what it's worth.

My No.1 Rule: Avoid Main Roads.

Regards JO

Quick one, what if the townhouse (in my case) faces a main road (through a small garden), but the main entrance isn't?

I mean, to get into this property you will have to leave the main road, drive about 50 mtrs and enter the small driveway to the townhouse main door.

I'm concerned about noise, but I checked and when windows are closed, it isolates the noise pretty well.

If there's even the slightest question about it being a main road, then for me, it's a main road. The only ones that aren't in my opinion are the ones that stand out as obviously not main roads.

Also, even some 'non-main' roads are part of bus routes. Check for bus stops. Better yet, just go for cul-de-sacs :) I'm yet to see a bus drive up one of those.

So, i take it that if i have any concern, don't buy it?? Kinda like trust your instint??

I was originally hoping, because of the layout of the property (house right at the back of the 700sqm land), the carlingford road in front might not be too much of a concern....

When buying shoes;) or property: When in doubt, don't.

Go with your gut instincts and good luck with your search.:)

Regards JO

I was originally hoping, because of the layout of the property (house right at the back of the 700sqm land), the carlingford road in front might not be too much of a concern....

If that provides for development opportunity, then the deal might still be worth assessing.

Main roads aren't necessarily a bad thing, IMO. I'd suggest that a lot comes down to your strategy and how you plan to make a profit out of the deal.

What price are you getting the peoperty for?

and also which side of the road does the property sit on is it the parramatta council side or hornsby council side. Reason why I ask this is that a 700sqm is a handy block to have if it is in the parramatta council for future development potential etc. which might increase the value of the property however, if it is in the hornsby council then you need to ensure that the block is atleast 1000sqm before you can even think about any development.

Could be a good buy if it the property is within the parramatta council.

Definitely check the noise, at various times of day and night. But also consider whether its a future development block. Carlingford Rd is definitely a busy road, day and night.
Our first PPOR was on a much less busy road than Carlingford Rd, set back from the road, but we couldn't sleep at night with the noise. If the house is lower than the road, it will be less noisy than if its above the level of the road. Brick walls and trees can reduce noise significantly.
But we got a significant capital gain when we sold, because it was a great development site. So, you should also consider whether thats an opportunity for you to consider.
cheers,
Pen

The property in question, is 700sqm. The building right at the end of the land, but there's a easement right in front of the building. So, the land's effectively divided into 2.

Also, it belongs to Hornsby council.

So, not sure about development potential.....

The property in question, is 700sqm. The building right at the end of the land, but there's a easement right in front of the building. So, the land's effectively divided into 2.

Also, it belongs to Hornsby council.

So, not sure about development potential.....

Woah! Easements are even more toxic for me than main roads. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-footed Polish man.

Woah! Easements are even more toxic for me than main roads. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-footed Polish man.

I'd say thats a big bum steer :p, If you can find a solution to a problem everyone before you has said is too hard :mad: - you've just hit a pot of gold :eek::D

I bought a property that has a large easement down one side, many people had passed on it for the exact reason as above. I found a solution that was backed by my research and went for it. Its now DA'd and worth a whole lot more.

Find properties that require a little more work and you will be rewarded.

I'd say thats a big bum steer :p, If you can find a solution to a problem everyone before you has said is too hard :mad: - you've just hit a pot of gold :eek::D

I bought a property that has a large easement down one side, many people had passed on it for the exact reason as above. I found a solution that was backed by my research and went for it. Its now DA'd and worth a whole lot more.

Find properties that require a little more work and you will be rewarded.

Care to share that research results? :)

Good post Andrew.

I recently saw an example of this.. two vacant inner city blocks side by side. One higher on the hill but with a service running through sold privately for $375k.. weeks later next door sold at auction for $465k. imo, an inferior plot, but sold for $90k more..

Once the land has been developed in accordance with council reg's what difference does it make to the next buyer if there is an easement? It shouldn't need developing for the next 30+ years.

Care to share that research results? :)

predominately looking and confirming what council will or won't allow and doing and redoing numbers to make sure the deal stacks up and it does.

100k increase on 14 months + when built 250k profit form development :D now if I can sort the finance part out to build it would be a huge help?

Back