How do you keep track of all your passwords?

Just wondering how people on here keep track of the multitude of passwords that we all have these days?

I've been using an app for about a decade called 'Password Safe' which is a great little program. It's free (open source), quite simple and uses 256-bit encryption (read very secure). However, it's a bit limited in its features and I'm looking at purchasing an app called 1Password which offers a few more features that I would find useful.
Does anybody use this app or have recommendations of other good password manager apps?

I use lastpass.com, and pay for a subscription. Auto-fills all sorts of forms and logins, cloud-based, also usable on mobile apps and tablets, and accessible anywhere with internet access.

Id use last pass too but anything in the cloud is out of the question for me.

Hence I use the very simple Pastor program which has served me well for quite a few years now.

Trick is to make the master password as long as you can using upper and lower case and numerals etc. Longer the better.

I use my cats name for everything.

I suppose that some sort of secure document, ideally not stored online would be a useful way to index hundreds of usernames and passwords. I'm nervous about encryption after the NSA bragged yesterday that they managed to hack Google's encryption (yes, the US government can read Gmail whenever they want).

Disclaimer: I do not have a cat.

I've got about 180 log in passwords so I use a program but make sure you keep it offline because if it gets hacked then ALL your passwords are taken.

I'm nervous about encryption after the NSA bragged yesterday that they managed to hack Google's encryption (yes, the US government can read Gmail whenever they want).

The NSA have been accessing Gmail for at least 5-6 years so I wouldn't worry about it now.

I use my cats name for everything.

Disclaimer: I do not have a cat.

Be careful with that, the FBI's most wanted hacker used his cat's name for his password and got busted.

http://www.theage.com.au/it-pro/security-it/chewy-123-fbis-mostwanted-cybercriminal-used-cats-name-as-password-20141115-11nan3.html

To this day, Hammond is unsure how agents cracked his encryption program and got what they needed to land him back in prison. But he has one idea: "My password was really weak."

It was his cat.

"Chewy," he said, looking down at his hands. "Chewy 123."

I use a free program called KeePass ,it also has an app for android,been using it for a few years now,never let me down.

There is a keePass mobile program for a USB stick and it is usable on any computer without installing anything on the computer or identifying any of the passwords or information when you use it.

I use lastpass.com, and pay for a subscription. Auto-fills all sorts of forms and logins, cloud-based, also usable on mobile apps and tablets, and accessible anywhere with internet access.

Perp, does this mean you set it up and don't have to remember any passwords on the sites that auto-fill. I hate having to remember different passwords for different sites, and often cannot get into a site due to this, and have had to reset passwords in order to access some sites.

It is one of the pet peeves I have.

How much is the subscription?

I wallpaper my screensaver with my passwords and where they belong.

They say an obvious place is the best place to hide something!

Perp, does this mean you set it up and don't have to remember any passwords on the sites that auto-fill. ... How much is the subscription?
Yes, it autofills (pretty much) every site you could ever want - does all our internet banking sites, emails, etc. - and for $12 a year, you can have a family "vault" where you can create "subfolders" that others can access, which we find great for teenagers who constantly forget passwords.

Yes, it autofills (pretty much) every site you could ever want - does all our internet banking sites, emails, etc. - and for $12 a year, you can have a family "vault" where you can create "subfolders" that others can access, which we find great for teenagers who constantly forget passwords.

Thank you so much Perp. When I tried to buy the one iPhone left in the Apple store a few months ago, I couldn't just waltz up and buy it. I had to log in, book it, (just in case someone booked it on-line while I was trying to buy it in store - crazy but apparently true).

I couldn't recall my password and my email on file was an old one so I couldn't even have it emailed to me. I was sooooo frustrated. It was so close... and yet so far.

I'm going to sign up. I spend so much time typing in all the passwords I can think of for each site. Thank you, thank you, thank you :D

Just wondering how people on here keep track of the multitude of passwords that we all have these days?

I've been using an app for about a decade called 'Password Safe' which is a great little program. It's free (open source), quite simple and uses 256-bit encryption (read very secure). However, it's a bit limited in its features and I'm looking at purchasing an app called 1Password which offers a few more features that I would find useful.
Does anybody use this app or have recommendations of other good password manager apps?

I've used both KeePass and 1Password. I currently use 1Password on all of my machines and highly recommend it.

It does so much more than passwords too - I store all my credit card and bank account details in there, plus Software license keys and any other information I need to keep safe and secure.

The browser integration in the new 1Password v4 works really well (much better than the previous version).

I have over 1,000 passwords and other types of information stored in my 1Password database.

Whenever I sign up to a new site I will simply create a new 32 character* random password - I couldn't tell you the password I use for 99% of the sites I use - I wouldn't be able to remember it even if I knew what it was - I just use 1Password to log in.

I _never_ use the same password on multiple sites. If one site gets hacked and my password compromised, none of my other accounts are vulnerable.

(* there are lots of sites which restrict you in the length of password you choose, so sometimes you need to use shorter passwords. The worst sites will allow you to enter a long password when registering but will then silently truncate it when storing into their database so you don't know that the password you entered is not what got stored and then you spend ages scratching your head wondering why it will never accept the password you just set up or changed)

Back