How do you locate the best suburb for a buy/reno/sell

Hello forum friends!!
Its been a while, since ive been here but i am back!!
I am now in a position to go again, and along with possibly attempting other strategies, I wanted to do a quick buy/reno/sell.

I have no issue in costing a project but I am finding it a bit frustrating trying to work out the suburb i should attempt this strategy in. ( i am in melb eastern suburbs by the way).

So i first started with median prices in my surrounding suburbs then i looked at how hot or not these suburbs are at the moment. Everything in Mel seems to be hot at the moment unless i go south east to dandenong/hallam/springvale/noble park areas. If i buy in the hot suburbs i run the risk of not making a profit because my in price might be too high, and if i buy in a not so hot then i might not get my sale price!! Argh!!!

So I am curious: anybody who has bought/reno and sold and made a 10% profit, pleeeeeze tell me, how did u narrow your suburb down?

Thanks in advance

I don't think there's really a good / bad suburb for it, more just a matter of knowing your chosen suburbs very very well. Then, you are in a better position to recognise when something is going cheap due to needing some work done. You'll also be able to recognise what it'd be worth if it was fixed up.

Why not just buy near your home?

If you are renovating yourself it will make things so much simpler/easier, and hopefully you will already have a good local knowledge of the suburb good streets/bad streets and be able to find something with fair value.

Hello forum friends!!
Its been a while, since ive been here but i am back!!
I am now in a position to go again, and along with possibly attempting other strategies, I wanted to do a quick buy/reno/sell.

I have no issue in costing a project but I am finding it a bit frustrating trying to work out the suburb i should attempt this strategy in. ( i am in melb eastern suburbs by the way).

So i first started with median prices in my surrounding suburbs then i looked at how hot or not these suburbs are at the moment. Everything in Mel seems to be hot at the moment unless i go south east to dandenong/hallam/springvale/noble park areas. If i buy in the hot suburbs i run the risk of not making a profit because my in price might be too high, and if i buy in a not so hot then i might not get my sale price!! Argh!!!

So I am curious: anybody who has bought/reno and sold and made a 10% profit, pleeeeeze tell me, how did u narrow your suburb down?

Thanks in advance

I just really researched the areas I know and most of the time it was being in the right place at the right time, i went to bid on a home on the central coast and lost just as I was about to go I noticed next property going to auction,I knew the area and long story short bought it sight unseen,it was one of my better buys as I did a reno on it did not need kitchen or bathroom but I spent 18k on top of purchase price I had it valued not long after I finished gained 50k on my overall outlay before costs of selling are deducted.

Better to know an area or two really well so you know a bargain when it presents. I would think areas that are dominated by owner occupiers will be better.

Oscar

Still waiting to jump in, but have been looking at owner occupiers suburbs near good schools that have at least 25-35% diff in unreno/reno value

there is quite a bit more to it than that. Flipping is a unique business and requires a lot of extra layers of due diligence than the usual buy and hold.

Care to elaborate at all knightm?

The basic location requirements I would work on are that you need:

An area with old stock and new stock nearby
An area with a good price differential between those two (many areas don't have this)
An area with a good selling market
An area with a tight rental market in case you don't sell

Then after these you need the abilities to pick a good one, avoid the duds, know what it is worth, negotiate well to get in for a great price (critical), know what it will be worth, renovate to the taste of the market on time and budget and then choose a good sales agent for marketing.

Once you do all that all you have to do is repeat and enjoy the profits!

Back