How do you stay motivated?

I love my job, I have a great family and friends, I'm fit and active, money is no real issue etc but it's sometimes hard to stay 100% motivated.

What keeps you motivated?

Do you set goals? Watch motivational movies/read books? I'm interested to know how people stay motivated at work, at home etc.

Cheers

EDIT: I'm referring to life in general, not investing.

Last edited:
By realising that investing is not necessarily a day-to-day thing, but a year-to-year thing. It helps me to look at the long game.

Edit: Or maybe you don't mean just in investing, but generally? In that case I would say, it depends. Some things are easier to be motivated in.

I stay motivated because theres no other diverging paths for me. My blinkers are on and i'm exiting workforce asap, no 2 ways about it.

By setting deadlines helps to get tasks done.
I can't say whether it is driven via motivation, but it does help to get things done.

For example: we have a writing board on our fridge, and each year we would write a short list of things that we would like to achieve within a year, and each time one is done, we simply cross it off

Each day walking through the kitchen I would glance this list and remind myself the achievements I have done this year and what else needs to be done

By knowing the end goal and putting in place shorter term goals to get there.

Also mingling with like minded investors. It's always amazing to hear what others have achieved.

In general, by realising that I can't be motivated all the time on all subjects. Pick and choose what to prioritise at that point of time.

Understand how your mind work - I like to see the results of my effort relatively quickly, so I do small things in a less efficient way but still let me enjoy the results. That way I can let the big things done without stressing out "where's the result???"

For different type of activities:
Exercise - will power and motivation can only keep you so long. I use that initial energy to build a habit and stick to it. Nowadays, I wake up I exercise half automatically

Savings - automate. Don't even think about it.

Work and investing - Set a mission, be very clear on the why and never lose sight of it - I want more time with people who are important to me. Work for me is a tool to help me invest, and investing is a tool to get me where I want

I stay motivated knowing one day I can retire in comfort by staying focused on the end game - replacing my salary/living expenses with passive income (rental income and/or dividends).

I tend to think I do things a bit different. I don't try to stay motivated, instead change my way of thinking i.e. time spent doing non-productive activities are swapped with productive activities. Eventually, it becomes a lifestyle.

I stay motivated because theres no other diverging paths for me. My blinkers are on and i'm exiting workforce asap, no 2 ways about it.

What about after that?
What if you get sick or even die?
Have you lived life along the way or just blinkered in the rat race to the "finish" ?

What about after that? get through long bucket list
What if you get sick or even die? Then I'll die doing what i love best, finding/talking/looking/managing property
Have you lived life along the way or just blinkered in the rat race to the "finish" ? Not really. I have a real passion for this stuff though, so this is living life for me.

Answers in blue.

talking to like minded people really works well for me.
talking to people who have done exactly what I want to achieve really keeps me motivated to strive harder.

In general I stay motivated through competitiveness.

Whether it is the right way to get motivation is debatable, but it works for me.

Cant stand doing something and not being the best. Whether it is work, sport, hobbies or even cooking. I will do something obsessively until I perfect it.

What keeps you motivated?

Motivation is a mix of 2 forces in varying degrees of strength - one being a "push" and the other a "pull".

The "push" is a move away from things you don't want happening.
The "pull" is towards rewards and goals.

Knowing what you don't want is as important as knowing what you do.

Sometimes, getting yourself into a tight situation can be really motivating - like the time we signed an OTP deal and we weren't sure we could get financing (this was very early on when we knew very little...) so we worked our backsides off making and saving money like crazy to build up a 30% deposit in 2 years (we figured that would be "safe").

Similarly when we "bit off a bit more than we could chew" and ran into some tight cash flow and serviceability issues (hey, only paid 16% tax that year though! :cool:)

People might think such scenarios are "demotivating" but when you're in there, you don't think of anything else but getting the situation fixed - and afterwards, to build up protection and buffers.

Having others relying on you is also a big motivator too (again this will be a big "YUCK" for people at first thought) - eg kids, family etc.

For me, in my day job, I have a team of people relying on me to direct them, leads them and make decisions - that affects their lives and livelihoods. Whilst I am sure that they'll get by fine these days without me, I'd like to contribute what I can to make their lives a bit easier (although sometimes I make it harder for them instead!!).

When it comes to my "other job" as a lecturer/presenter, there is no way I could leave 60 people sitting wondering where I was - they've given up time for me - that's motivating.

Finally, people think I am a religious fanatic because I attend church 3 times a week (one weeknight, Saturday night and Sunday mornings) - but again the big motive for me is the need to serve the congregation - as a musician during hymn singing, and occasionally leading the service out front. I have been recently given the honour of being able to bless the bread for the Holy Communion - now there's motivation for you - imagine everyone waiting around wondering where the dude that does the prayers and breaks the bread is!! :eek: (let alone some divine retribution or something!)

The Y-man

I stay motivated by taking on massive projects and then when I burn out I have no choice but to keep going forward with it. It's a painful grinding way to get through life.

But hey not every year is going to be easy.

I stay motivated by taking on massive projects and then when I burn out I have no choice but to keep going forward with it. It's a painful grinding way to get through life.

But hey not every year is going to be easy.

I'm very guilty of doing this for the past 10 years and every time I say to myself that I'm going to have a rest/holiday/reward when complete.
But, then only a couple days later I'm setting a new challenge and over commit. Sometimes even plan the next project before the previous one is finished.

I put myself in these positions then get frustrated about having to do all this work when I really don't have to.
Don't know why I punish myself like this, must be addicted or have some sort of disorder.

Back