How do you tell your kids the truth and when?

It's been 5 months since I told my daughter about Santa not being real. I just asked her if she felt upset that we had pretended Santa was real. She said it was a lot more fun and exciting previously, but maybe whe will feel more excited on the day. Her little bro is really excited, so I'm sure it will make it more exciting. I don't have any regrets for going along with it. My kids had so much fun believing in Santa. I remember helping out in year 2 at school with my daughter while they sewed and decorated christmas stockings. I remember a girl with a sour look on her face saying, "Christmas is stupid" and she was sewing up a square instead. I felt a bit sorry for her at the time, but I guess I shouldn't have, as she was just following what her parents have told her. As for religion, I've been really neutral and let my kids decide what they believe in. My daughter has never believed in god, and believes in evolution. My son believes in god, and sometime prays. I find that quite interesting!

... I explained to miss 4 that most parents like to tell lies to their kids and that she shouldn't talk about it to other kids.

I hope you worded it better than how you wrote it just now. I hope you don't have your four year old thinking "most parents like to tell lies to their kids" about everything. What a warped view if that is the message she gets from you.

I KNOW my children haven't put the Father Christmas 'lie' in the same basket as the sort of lies people tell for selfish, malicious or fraudulent reasons.

Infact they're quite skilled at telling the difference between different lies, ie.
telling grandma her meal was nice (lie), when it made them want to gag vs telling grandma they didn't get paid this week (lie) so they can loan money.

Perhaps if a child hasn't got the ability to work out/learn the subtles greys, as well as the more obvious reasons behind individual (in this case cultural) actions, then clear black and white instruction is probably best.

Last edited:
Saw a santa in either MYER or David Jones today with kids and parents in a decent queue waiting for their turn. The kids really do love it, it actually made me smile seeing 2 girls and 1 boy answering what they wanted for Christmas and seeing the oldest, the boy holding back his giggles as he nervously said a new bike, he was a bit older than I thought would be excited as much. But mum cofirmed today that we never believed in Santa, we knew the traditions and talked about it and stuff, but I don't know much like the Easter Bunny I think, we never thought it was actually real.

Back