How does a pensioner earn a bit more cash?

A freind of mine retired about 2-3 years ago and he has been travelling around australia during that time.

He has returned home now due to the sharemarket eating most of his wealth.. so they decided to look for part time work. A job has been offered to jim which will net him about $500 a week on a casual basis, only problem is this affects his pension.

Hey went and seen centrelink and they told him something along the lines that he cant earn more than $120 a week or he will get a fine of some sort.. and most likely lose his pension.

Apart from cancelling the pension, is there any other way that he can legally have a casual job to supplement the crappy goverment pension?

A freind of mine retired about 2-3 years ago and he has been travelling around australia during that time.

He has returned home now due to the sharemarket eating most of his wealth.. so they decided to look for part time work. A job has been offered to jim which will net him about $500 a week on a casual basis, only problem is this affects his pension.

Hey went and seen centrelink and they told him something along the lines that he cant earn more than $120 a week or he will get a fine of some sort.. and most likely lose his pension.

Apart from cancelling the pension, is there any other way that he can legally have a casual job to supplement the crappy goverment pension?

my father in law just did up a few nice brochures went for a walk one weekend and picked businesses that could do with regular mowing and general basic maintenance externally, followed up personally the following monday and started that week developing his little sideline over the next 3 months.....mind you he targeted very well..he has a chemist, a mechanic and a real estate office a small local supermarket plus the best butcher ive ever had meat from just to name a few.....he makes a nice earner out of 12 in total that he has without affecting his pension one cent..........favour for a favour works well for him if you get my drift with just enough cash to boot...

your friend should try the same thing but pick and choose his targets like my slippery ol father has done the last 6 years....hes a workaholic as well but it get him away from the nagging mother in law he says.

good luck..

Do what a lot of pensioners do.

Get a job that pays $120 per week..eg cleaning food court tables in shopping mall.

Then go and earn what ever else is need by 'cash in hand jobs' -- eg mow neighbours' lawns, ironing, gardening etc.

No I don't do this but see it happen frequently.

For example - Neighbour's wife hems long dresses and hubby mows lawns (some on the books and some off the books).

Both are older than 65 years and have worked all their lives as cleaners and raised 5 daughters.

PS - I forgot wife takes in ironing and has arthritis ( I think hubby helps with this).

On anther note - I know of a few single parents who work/worked casually and they had to give it up as Centrelink punished them because their work was casual, these are ones with young children who had to pay childminding out of wages etc.

IMHO - Centrelink needs to support young casual employees with children until the work becomes steady, especially in the country as they need a car to get to work as no public transport out of retail business hours.

Regards
Sheryn

We have a friend who is an electrician, he still has his license or whatever it is he needs to do electrical work legally.

He probably works harder now than he did when working for a large electrical contractor. He takes no money for work, but 'payment in kind'.

He does a lot of work for a butcher and gets paid in meat. Another friend of his owns several liquor stores and pays him in beer and wine. He did some work for us recently and was paid with a carton of beer and a $100 Bunnings voucher.

Not sure if this might apply to your friend.

I do not support "cash in hand" jobs to recieve government benefits dishonestly! Sorry but that's just fraud!

The pension might be "crappy" but its there to support people in need and not there because everyone feels entitled to it!

Government benefits designed for those in need would work best if they were used for just that, they are not meant to be a personal financial plan for the majority of healthy individuals who were able to work and invest most of their lives. Some of these pensioners have gone through many real estate cycles and could have picked up properties for $5 to $10,000, they chose to not be self sufficient now not because they were physically not able to but because they just didn't implement a financial plan.

Yes they should be supported but I just don't like the whole entitlement mentality! My own parents included!!!

It would be much nicer if centerlink took work income *after* unavoidable expenses.

Ie, if you rent out an IP at $300 a week and make $20 profit, you earnt $20. But for centerlink purposes, you earnt $300 (yes, I realise they are thinking of changing this one)

Or if you need childcare, and you earn $500 a week but pay $300 in childcare, you get assessed as earning $200 not $500. Childcare is extremely hard to avoid paying.

Hell, at the very least they could assess your income *after* compulsary super and HECS has come out. And they add on magical 'leave loading' whether you get it or not and assess THAT as income. Hell, even after tax would be nice. At one stage I moved from 3 days a week to 4 days a week and after HECS, going up a tax bracket and going up over the childcare threshold I was earning considerably *less* money than with the shorter hours, and I lost my pension because I was earning too much so I didn't have the concessions or rent assistance so my expenses went up too. I went back down to 3 days a week pretty smartly after finding that out.

I know that after I quit work and went on centerlink my available spending money went *way* up despite my taxable income going *way* down, just because I didn't have to pay childcare and rent anymore, and wasn't driving for 1 and a half hours a day to and from work and childcare.

I do not support "cash in hand" jobs to recieve government benefits dishonestly! Sorry but that's just fraud!

The pension might be "crappy" but its there to support people in need and not there because everyone feels entitled to it!

Government benefits designed for those in need would work best if they were used for just that, they are not meant to be a personal financial plan for the majority of healthy individuals who were able to work and invest most of their lives. Some of these pensioners have gone through many real estate cycles and could have picked up properties for $5 to $10,000, they chose to not be self sufficient now not because they were physically not able to but because they just didn't implement a financial plan.

Yes they should be supported but I just don't like the whole entitlement mentality! My own parents included!!!

what a self centred statement by you...........

get a grip and leave the old pensioner alone!!

Australia is full of businesses both large and small who are ripping the tax system off every day...claiming stuff that has no relevance to the business, cash jobs out of petty cash, buying dunny paper and using it for home, buying an air con and taking it home, using the old car for joy trips around the countryside ie: claiming all the fuel....the list is endless!

you wont admit it but id bet 5/4 on you would be among them with something.

you have probably a nice little super scheme happening...many old people today have absolutely nothing.......it wasnt the "norm" to own more than one property for a majority of older folk..super hasnt been in vogue for that long....you forget many didnt attend school past grade 7 so their knowledge was fairly limited regarding investments etc...all they knew was to grab a bride, save a deposit for a house and diligently pay it off and be secure.....sure times have changed now but many of these old people are still around battling on, rarely complaining...

if it was you in their situation trying to survive on a pathetic pension cheque each fortnight you would soon change your tune.

fair crack of the whip being a do gooder!

leave the old pensioner alone and have a glance at your own backyard..

I have zero Super! Only real estate!

I have never applied for a single cent of government handouts even though I possibly could have been entitled to it many times:

When I was a student I worked full time instead of applying for ausstudy schemes like others did.

I could have or possibly could still be entitled to child care rebates that I do not apply for nor have enquired on how to do it. That would never be my focus!

I was not born in Australia but came here as a refugee after my family lost everything in a war! EVERYTHING!!! My parents could have applied for welfare at that stage but didn't, they chose to build everything from the begining alone without government assistance!

so yes I had experienced a situation of trying to survive on nothing! Even when you have nothing you still have a choice of being independent or becoming dependent!

self centred works! It makes you self sufficient!

How does our parent's losing everything during the war & migrating here as refugees have much to do with the topic ?

How many of them are on pensions now, I know many who are...

Not all of them became financially independant, you can simplify & say it was was easy for them as it was for you, and you may even be right some of the time... but I have no doubts that it you are not right as many times as you make out...

Where do you draw the line ? Should a pensioner be able to do work for a bit of a non cash kickback - is that ok, or is that too much too ?

I dont want to rely on the pesnion when I get to taht age, but I grew up knowoing it may not be likely that I could anyway.. perhaps, just perhas, things weren;t always like they are now (?) life is funny, none of us really know where we would end up.

I can't understand the pensioner mentality of just earning a few extra bucks so they don't endanger the measly pensioner benefits.

If I was a pensioner and I've got the ability and skill to do so, I would rather go out and find a proper job earning a proper wage and not even bother with the pension.

It's pathetic, demeaning and only designed to allow you to exist.

It amazes me how many of them trot out the statement that they are pensioners and wear it like a badge.

Where's the thrill in just existing; getting cheaper bus rides and train rides and few discounts on some things in life, and not being able to afford to do much else?

But anyway, to answer your question; many many golf clubs need extra part-time staff in the proshops (this is my field of expertise and employment for the last 30 years, mostly).

Many of the Pros would pay him in cash (many won't as well - workcare issues etc). The work is easy, but he may need to be computer literate. How many pensioners do you know that are? Bloody pathetic. Sorry; work is getting to me.

Call up all the local golf clubs/courses and ask to speak to the proshop manager.

Last edited:
I have zero Super! Only real estate!

I have never applied for a single cent of government handouts even though I possibly could have been entitled to it many times:

When I was a student I worked full time instead of applying for ausstudy schemes like others did.

I could have or possibly could still be entitled to child care rebates that I do not apply for nor have enquired on how to do it. That would never be my focus!

I was not born in Australia but came here as a refugee after my family lost everything in a war! EVERYTHING!!! My parents could have applied for welfare at that stage but didn't, they chose to build everything from the begining alone without government assistance!

so yes I had experienced a situation of trying to survive on nothing! Even when you have nothing you still have a choice of being independent or becoming dependent!

self centred works! It makes you self sufficient!

i dont care less if you came from mars or from some country overseas that would fight over a game of marbles, it has nothing to do with the topic.........i dont have super either so your not not alone being the only person in oz who uses r/e as a super growth fund....many of us online do the same.

congrats on saying you never applied for anything from the govt.....but i bet you gladly took what was on offer from them.....i have absolutely no doubt at some point in time you would have been milking the system in some way.....no one is squeaky clean.

this post topic is about pensioners and their struggle........

maybe its beyond you to know what an "aussie battler" actually means as an Aussie then maybe you will realize that Aussies from earlier times were not spoon fed like most people here today including yourself and me for that matter.............low education standards, little general worldly knowledge.

everyone is not equal here especially many older folk who struggled through life and were not knowledgeable enough to think about the future too much when they retired.

hard to describe without spending an hour on history and empathy.

maybe its beyond you to know what an "aussie battler" actually means as an Aussie then maybe you will realize that Aussies from earlier times were not spoon fed like most people here today including yourself and me for that matter..............

That's right, all beyond me, us martians do not comprehend..... :p

How does our parent's losing everything during the war & migrating here as refugees have much to do with the topic ?

Nothing really! Just trying to make the point that not everyone that is faced with a difficult situation turns to government welfare. People always have a choice.

I know one pensioner who has a very small old house on a large corner block. we can get subdivision approval for 3 properties on that block, she can live in a brand new home and rent the other 2. Not only would there be instant equity but an income of $150,000 per year in capital appreciation that she can have as a LOC. I offered to do it all for her. She refused for the single reason of not wanting to lose the pension. This is the dependency-entitlement small thinking mentality that the pension scheme has helped to develop. However! Not everyone has chosen to think this way.

Those who have not chosen to be dependent on charity do not have the issue of trying to make a few extra dollars now by scheming against the government in a dishonest way. I just do not and cannot agree with cash in hand jobs! For anyone!

........i dont have super either so your not not alone being the only person in oz who uses r/e as a super growth fund....many of us online do the same.

Ummmm! I think it was you who assumed above that "you have a nice little super thing happening" amongst other things..... :rolleyes:

where did I say I was the only person?

Is this attitude an example of "enjoying life" as you say at the bottom of your posts?

It's pathetic, demeaning and only designed to allow you to exist.

Spot on.

Those who have not chosen to be dependent on charity do not have the issue of trying to make a few extra dollars now by scheming against the government in a dishonest way. I just do not and cannot agree with cash in hand jobs! For anyone!

Believe me, my parents never intended to be dependent on the pension. Unfortunately sometimes circumstances change - my parents were doing nicely, they then got taken for a ride in business and almost ended up losing their house and spent years in court, to be taken again by their lawyer at the time - and did lose pretty much everything.

Over the following years they worked hard and plugged away at debts, they have even been enterprising since and have bought and sold PPOR's a few times to rid themselves of their remaining debt from the bad times, however now find themselves 70yo+ and no longer able to work decent long term hours due to health, so now are on the pension. And believe me, these are proud people - if there were anyway around having to go on the pension they would have taken it.

But you think they should be happy living on the pension of $450 (don't know exact figure per week between the two of them) and not try and earn a little extra cash on the side to make life a little more enjoyable, perhaps heaven forbid seeing some family interstate. Bare in mind from that $450 per week they have to pay; council rates, car/house insurance, water rates, gas, electricity, health insurance, medication. Now with what's left they can splurge on fun things like food.

Don't get me wrong Xenia, I agree with your statement about never intending to rely on govt. benefits myself - I never have and never will. In fact this stupid $900 Krudd money will be the first cash I've ever received from the govt., will probably just donate it to my favourite charity.

I do however realise there are people in society who due to unforseen circumstances don't have the choices I have. :mad:

Straight from Centrelink:

On earning $1200 a fortnight Gross:

$137.30 a fortnight pension plus the employment earnings $1000

Nil income: $562.10 a fortnight pension.

Thats a big difference $562 compared to $1137 a fortnight...more than double.

Plus i beleive that with the pensioner offset etc he would actually get more back in tax so he is probably even better off.

I do not support "cash in hand" jobs to recieve government benefits dishonestly!

I agree.

Centrelink doesn't fine you, it just makes sense that if you are earning other money, the pension must be reduced. You aren't just entitled to it because you are old and have paid taxes all your life.

Do the sums, work age 20 to 65 = 45 years of tax
Retire from 65 to 90 = 25 years of pension

How can anyone expect that to work. The pension is meant to be bare bones, it is not meant to fund the retirement you want. I'm not denying it is lousy but there are ways to survive- sell your house, rent cheap, move in with your kids, move to the country, retire to a caravan on the coast.. all possible on $562 a fortnight!

-flamesuit on-
Pulse

i think in our heart of hearts we all know there must be a safety net for people?
not all pensioners are aged. income support is needed through out the lifespan. sometimes intermittently.
i do not begrudge anyone who can to be able to supplement the govt payment,
some may even be property investors.
to get cash some in south australia collect cans and bottles. good for those who can be active.
some have private pensions. think of self funded retirees.
disability support recipients may do some paid work etc.
its good to aim for self supporting/financially independent but for lots of reasons that is not always possible.
if everyone got a base pension on retirement it would actually save money on admin and policing the system? it must cost a lot to maintain the present one but then i expect it does create employment in itself. regards

Your pensioners earn more than I do working a 40 hr job.
My take home pay is $411 week, and I earn 50% more than the minimum wage.

I also don't think anyone should work for cash and not declare it.Too many people trying to work outside the system.
If the persioners can earn $500, have them give up the pension until they can't work anymore.

Maybe they lived in an era that didn't save for retirement, but many other seniors have.Make saving/investing during your youth mean something.Have it mean you are better off than the others that chose not to.

Back