How far about should I space my investments?

As some of you may know, I have recently purchased an investment property which is getting built at the moment and will be due to settle in 4 or 5 months. Anyway, I was wondering, how do you guys feel about buying more ip's whilst waiting for one to complete? I've found two I'm interested in which will be completed in about 18 and 30 months time respectively. Is this generally enough time apart to keep the banks happy? Or will I have trouble when it comes to settlement time.

Just some info on my situation: I have a 10% deposit + stamp duty saved up for each and would be looking to finance the other 90% on each property. Sound doable?

One question is whether you'll need final loan approval when the first property is complete. If your loan approval isn't final, then you run the risk of bank lending tightening or rates going up affecting your serviceability when it's complete.

The mantra is typically, "Buy when you can afford to." As alexless points out, the goalposts may change when the property is not yet completed.

The timing is purely about affordability.

As some of you may know, I have recently purchased an investment property which is getting built at the moment and will be due to settle in 4 or 5 months. Anyway, I was wondering, how do you guys feel about buying more ip's whilst waiting for one to complete??

The main thing to check out would be your cashflow. Would the properties be neutrally geared? Is your cashflow strong enough to sustain any delays, vacancy periods in the 3 properties etc? Will you achieve immediate equity in each of the properties currently being built once they are finished?

If so, and your cashflow is strong enough to support these properties then it sounds possible.

Regards Jason.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Jingo, yes my cashflow is strong enough to support all of the properties. They will all (at current rental rates) be neutrally geared or only slightly negatively geared, so that shouldn't be a problem. At the moment, we save about $700 a week (plus we pay extra on our ppor loan), so it would have to be a significant drop in rental income for it to really hurt us.

Skater, thanks, i will try to contact one of the brokers.

Back