How I got from just a PPOR to multi millionaire retiree in 5 years using only OPM.

Thanks for such a fantastic post keith…….its very much appreciated!!

Ruby :)

Keith,

You are a hero.

Ruby,

I believe this story deserves a spot in the interviews hall of fame. Can you make it happened?

Plizzzzzz ;)

(Stories in that forum is more accessible in the future. Otherwise it may be lost amongst the zillions of other threads after a while)

Ruby,

I believe this story deserves a spot in the interviews hall of fame. Can you make it happened?

Plizzzzzz ;)

(Stories in that forum is more accessible in the future. Otherwise it may be lost amongst the zillions of other threads after a while)
Keith was actually on my short list of interviewees………..he’s beaten me to it. :eek:

I’m sure we can incorporate keith’s post into an interview if he doesn’t mind. Just leave it with us and hopefully we can sort something out.

Ruby

Thanks for sharing Keith. It surely motivates and proves that we all have a chance of reaching our goals.

All power to you!!

Cheers Chrisv

Well done Keith,

You've given me inspiration and the hope that one day not to far away i'll be there as well.

Good to see someone elses strategies on paper.

With a nice handful of ip's in the bag, we are looking at going down the share path as well to compliment what we have, but I have to say, it scares me a bit.

But then it was not that long ago that the thought of having ip's scared me a lot.

BB

Well done Keith! I'm just a bit behind you as I wasn't keen for shares for such a long time. I like a mix between property and shares mainly as shares can be liquidated a lot faster if needed. :)

[*]IPOs – Rivkin said it best “if you can get an allocation, you don't want it”

Thats is just sensational keith. Well done.

I agree with nearly everything. Just on the IPO bit, I've done very well there. Got Woolworths, and CBA, at the floats, although I stupidly sold both a few years ago. Admittedly, the profits went towards the resource boom, but I still should have just held and saved the tax. I've since bought back into CBA. Bought into plenty of others too, the worst being Telstra 2 I suppose, but never really had a big dud. Was offered a lot in the tech boom, but ignored the lot.

Anyone with WOW and CBA from the floats are just killing it. I think CBA is returning nearly 50% dividend not even counting franking, thats working on the $5.40 float price.

Just a few days ago sent off for the float of Platinum Asset Management shares.

Once again, well done.

See ya's.

Thanks everyone

Thats is just sensational keith.
Thanks everyone. I was hoping to show that if I can do it then virtually everyone here can be at least as sensational, provided they start.

I agree with nearly everything. Just on the IPO bit, I've done very well there. Got Woolworths, and CBA, at the floats, although I stupidly sold both a few years ago. Admittedly, the profits went towards the resource boom, but I still should have just held and saved the tax. I've since bought back into CBA. Bought into plenty of others too, the worst being Telstra 2 I suppose, but never really had a big dud. Was offered a lot in the tech boom, but ignored the lot.

Anyone with WOW and CBA from the floats are just killing it. I think CBA is returning nearly 50% dividend not even counting franking, thats working on the $5.40 float price.
I thought I did well in T1 (+40%:eek: ) & T3 (+65% so far) & missed T2. Overall results been mixed - it's too hard to value a cpy with no history. WOW & CBA would have been exceptions, but they were before my time anyway.

Just a few days ago sent off for the float of Platinum Asset Management shares.
I understand they were oversubscribed v. quickly. Lets see if it is a case that supports Rivkins rule when it opens.

I've skimmed over some aspects of my implementation, so if anything is unclear or needs explaining ask away.

Cheers Keith

Reactions: BV
Hi Keith

Fantastic post - your strategy is exactly what we are planning to do, still in the IP buying stage though.

A question:

Draw down $1M equity from IPs – interest (5.95% fixed for 5 yrs!!) = $60K

Somehow I thought you could only use a LOC (var rate) to use IP equity to invest in shares. Can you specify with the lender that you want to use the money for shares and get a fixed rate for that?

Thanks for your time

kaf

Somehow I thought you could only use a LOC (var rate) to use IP equity to invest in shares. Can you specify with the lender that you want to use the money for shares and get a fixed rate for that?
"It's equity mate". The banks are happy for you to borrow it & don't really care what you spend it on & don't care whether you go fixed or var. It's just money to them. You could buy a new boat, a trip to Europe, or even some quality ASX shares.

I've never had a LOC. I use my margin loan like a LOC.

I understand they were oversubscribed v. quickly. Lets see if it is a case that supports Rivkins rule when it opens.

I have probably bought into a dozen floats over the last 15 years and only lost money on T2. I generally went for the blue chip types which were always going to be safer.

Rivken's advice hasn't rung true for my experience.

Applied for 10 000 of the platinum shares but expect to get between 0 and 2000. Supply and demand tells me that it should realise a stag profit esp since newsletters are recommending a buy on the secondary market if unable to get enough in the float.

Don't dismiss floats as all being the same.

Great read Keith, thanks for putting it together. It was actually some of your earlier posts that i read and which inspired me to buy some shares and LIC's.

Keith,

I've always enjoyed your posts, esp on asset timing, LIC's and LPT's. Your post ties it all in nicely, I didn't realise you achieved your success over such a short timeframe and at such a young ago. It's great stuff, thanks for posting. I look up to you.

Applied for 10 000 of the platinum shares but expect to get between 0 and 2000. Supply and demand tells me that it should realise a stag profit esp since newsletters are recommending a buy on the secondary market if unable to get enough in the float.

Don't dismiss floats as all being the same.

Great post Keith. Well done and it illustrates that buying the right assets at the right time (timing) is possibly more important then 'time in the market'.

It takes guts to do what you have done so again congrats.

Re Platinum - I applied for 28000 shares in 3 entities one of them as a unit holder so should provide some good results.

Cheers

Hi Keith,

Thanks for posting your story. Its very inspirational - especially that you have achieved all of this over a period of 6 or so years!! Wow!!

Regards Jason.

Hi Keith,

I will agree with others that this is one of the best posts I have read on this forum for a while.

It was easy to tell that you knew your stuff during some of those debates on LOE a while back. The only comment I can make here is that I thought you were a lot older than you actually are. It must of been your posts that sounded 'mature' (as in experienced from previous market performance).

I notice that you say IP in the not too distant future, myself, I am seeing property move in inner Melb, starting to in Syd, and constant growth in Brissy at present.

What are your thoughts on this current IP behaviour?? My take is that it may be a boom that no-one expects. But then again, doesn't that mark all booms?

My take on this has been tempered by a recent trip through Europe where I was stunned by the prices for ordinary property.

bye

I just tried to give you kudos, but apparently I have to share it around more, please accept it here instead.

Last edited:
Hi Keith...I really appreciated your story, and your well-considered strategy. This is so inspirational and clearly shows that most people can achieve if they think it through, do the sums, and follow a good plan. You have shown the way ahead for many newbie investors and they will thank you I'm sure.

Back