how important is LAND?

The valuations for Melton are based on the finished products not on the land only and are from independent and respected valuers. Like it or not the cottage block is becoming more and more common and more and more acceptable, the point is that people are buying them.

Yes, but my point is that if you have two identical houses in every single way, clones of each other.

Put them side by side, except one is on a bigger block of land, then the one on the bigger block of land will always be of higher value.

People will pay more for more land, not pay more for less land.

I always buy land for capital growth because land appreciates and buildings depreciate

I always look for an older property sitting on as much land as I can afford.. ie. I would rather a 1960s house sitting on 1000sqm of land than a brand new house on 250sqs.

Buildings do go up in price however the increase is usually only made through inflation. Consistent capital growth is made from land value. Land is in limited supply and the more scarce that land is and the more limited its supply ie. water the more it will be sort after and will increase in price.

Statistically, without any boom, your city property will double ever 7-10 years however, water side property will treble every 7-10 years. This is because of the land value and tat you cant build water. Everyone loves water, whether it is lakes, ocean, even man made. Have you noticed most developers are including man made lakes in their development.

Always remember the higher the land content, the greater the capital growth.

Most property investor buy units, me personally I stay away from them. You own no land or a very small percentage.

Cottage blocks are becoming more and more common, especally over in WA but a few blocks away from my home in NSW there is a 205sqm block on the market for $250,000. I think a lot of people these days are happy to have a patio area as they don't have the time any more for gardening and I know from my own children that computers, playstations and texting is taking over from outdoor games - how often do you see beautiful parks with not a child in sight these days? The times they are a'changing!

Also another thought that came to mind is if you are building to rent there are plenty of tenants who prefer not to look after lawns and gardens and plenty who just plain don't!

THis is the reason I want old houses on large blocks, so I can eventually develop and provide the market you have described above with the product they want. Buy the problem, sell the solution.

Land is super important, and by that I mean the land value component of the total purchase price. Land size is no where near as important, it only becomes relevant if looking for a splitter (but that flexibility is going to be build into the land value component anyway).

Sure if your intention is to divide the block as developers you look for a bigger block and be the person that makes the profit on doing that but from a renters and home purchasers point of view you are interested in the house you will be living in and a smaller block won't bother you if the house is up to scratch, you will pay the rent or pay the price.

The smaller block does not mean you will not experience good capital gains.

My townhouse in Mandurah is valued at $450,000 and sits on 259sqm, 2 years ago I paid $285,000 - sure I could have looked for an old house on a big block for a similar price - and if my intention was to develop I would have. Would I have exceeded my $165,000 increase in value? Yes if I had developed the block but if it was still an old house sitting on a big block I doubt it. Also remember that just because a block of land is big doesn't mean you can just go ahead and sub-divide it.

My current developments are on a new estate where the developer only allows a few duplexes to be built and sells the blocks on which this is allowable as duplex blocks with a relatively small premium built into the price. So far only 6 blocks have been designated as such and I have 3 of them. If anyone else has ideas about building a duplex they can have the privilege of paying an extra $170,000 for their block (I think that was the figure I read) which will obviously negate the profits.

There is some modern thinking going on and the times are definetly changing, people need to be a bit more flexible with their opinions or in the end they will be left behind. Not saying what is right or wrong just that there are many opinions and how things are is how things are.

Hi guys,

This is my first post! Great forum... been learning heaps!
I'm a novice property investor but have been doing some research. According to residex... houses with land value have significantly outperformed units in terms of capital growth over the last 10-12 years as well as the last 1, 3 and I think 5 year time frames both in the inner and outer city areas of melbourne.

But I think whether you buy more land or not depends on your goals and timeframes. And not all land is created equal!

You can download the report from residex for a cost of course!

Cheers

HI Dumpty

Welcome to the forum - love your name!

It seems to be a fairly recent thing, just going by my own experiences and things I have observed. I noticed it more in Perth initially last year but it is definetly spreading. Also some of the land prices on a new estate I know of in Queensland are a good size but the prices don't seem to make sense, for example there is only $12,000 difference between a 780sqm block and a 1200sqm block (only 3 blocks between the two) yet the land size is almost 400sqm different! Another block almost 100sqm larger is $2,000 cheaper. The builder is looking for similar prices for the completed packages so he doesn't seem too concerned about the variance in land sizes.

In 2003 price for block of land on man made lake in Princeton Estate (Stirling - Perth), about 8 km from CBD. 420 sq m. was $245 K. Price for biger blocks ( about 580 sq m) not on the lake - $200 K. It was very slow start, nobody wanted to buy. Today price for same blocks - on lake $700 k - $750k (not avalable), and about $560 K for same 580 sq m close to freeway, sold by developer (all sold).
For "cheap" blocks, about $250 K, 25 km or more from CBD few months ago people waited in cars, or tents for week to secure one of them.
Today, same story.

Regards - Doxa

Hi Doxa5

It certainly shows that even in a market no longer in boom mode there are still pockets in the right locations that will continue to increase in value.

Back