how IP managers find new tenants?

About a year ago I moved to a small town in outer Sydney and found finding a rental to be a massive pain in the neck. Most of the real estate agencies would only show properties Monday to Friday 9 -5 (and would simply refuse requests to show properties on Saturday). It seems like they are doing their clients a diservice by making it hard for people with a full time job to apply.

i rented my IP myself - I had 2 scheduled open times a week wednesday night 5.30 to 6.30 and saturday morning. 10 - 11.30

I had lots of people ring up and say they couldn't make those times, but they were really interested, could I do a special viewing?

so I would make a time (take time off work, skip uni or cancel other things I had on) to be there at the special time the prospective tenant wanted

AND THEY NEVER SHOWED UP!!!!!!!!! ( & when I called their mobile to try & find out where they were - they just didn't answer their phone)

so I can completely understand why a R/E agent with multiple listings wouldn't want to make special appointments for people who in my experience never showed up.

I've had horrible experiences with PM. But some great ones too. Some are just young and lazy. Others are wiser and have been in the game.

I wanted to rent a house, i had a brand new job and needed to move to Toowoomba. I had two weeks to find a house, cash bond, great references and was a landlord to two properties myself (at that time) and was told to wait and then went to a viewing where the PM DIDNT SHOW and i couldnt call her mobile, called the office, she was 20 min late, i walked. Eventually i found a house on the net, called the PM direct and did a deal over the phone, i wanted the house, applied via fax that day, signed a clause saying i'd take the house sight unseen, picked up keys in two days, moved in over the weekend. I have been here for nearly a year, never late in rent and love the house, location etc.

Next time i move for work etc, i will definately consider finding a rental this way. I just had so much trouble, i wanted to rent had everything ready to go and couldnt find a PM to show me into a house asap.

we used to do the Saturday opens as that was the day most people were available. We found the generic mid-week open generally didn't get much response so we ditched it in favour of private viewing.

Private viewings - we didn't always jsut jump in the car then and there, we had specified times each day set aside for the viewings... usually one in the morning around 10-11am and one in the afternoon 3.30-4.30pm. When people asked can you show me this today. It helps with time management that you are not running in and out all day - plus you have a morning and an afternoon for people to look at.

When i moved into sales i started doing Tuesday evening viewings 5.30-6.30pm instead of Wednesdays and they were HUGELY sucessful. In some cases i was getting more people through my evening viewing then my saturday showings.... less houses to see at that time, but works for people working who can finish at 5 and still make it, also worked for people with kids as they could come by before dinner and before the kids had to be in bed.

But the LL has made a decision that the tenant doesn't deserve a working garage door....the LL has basically decided he doesn't want a renter who respects and wants to care for their car.

How do you know that the LL even knew that there was a problem with the door handle & that he/she wasn't prepared to get it fixed?

Another rental had loose and tired kitchen cupboard doors and drawers, probably 20+ years old and successive coarse tenants had knocked them around. Over 20 years, enough depreciation should have been claimed to repair or renew. The same house had a swimming pool with an apparent crack. It had been filled in with dirt cos it was too expensive to repair and too expensive to smash up or pull out. What an eyesore it was. All the pump gear was still in the yard. I bet the LL removes the pool when he wants to sell the house though.

Its obviously not crossed your mind that the LL may NOT have oiwned the property for 20 years. If this is they can only claim depreciation for the time they owned it.

Just because soem-one is leasing a property does NOT mean they are flush with cash. I'm a LL. Due to health reason I had to move to be closer to family. I am to ill to work but not ill enough in Centrelinks opinion to qualify for benefits. The rent from my propertry is my sole income. From it have to pay for all my expensive including rent where I now live, PM fees, council rates, sewage etc for the rental property, LL insurance etc. Most times I find it hard to affors food & have often had to turn to charities for help.

Not all LL are flush with cash just because they have a property rented.

Your comments are ill-informned & offensive.

The Problem is Property management is the poor cousin to property sales.

If is was a buyer wanting to see the house they would be rushed to the property.

Russell, I dont know about other property managers, but I do believe you "broad statements" are very off the mark. You may have had some bad experiences, and they are reflected in you comments. I recently, hosted a fairwell function for a PM after nearly 30 years with us, and she, in my opinion, is only one of very many, very professional PM's, that have an excellant relationship with LL's, are well remunerated for their efforts, absolutely enjoy their jobs, and show properties in that dark if it helps both parties.

Russell, I dont know about other property managers, but I do believe you "broad statements" are very off the mark. You may have had some bad experiences, and they are reflected in you comments. I recently, hosted a fairwell function for a PM after nearly 30 years with us, and she, in my opinion, is only one of very many, very professional PM's, that have an excellant relationship with LL's, are well remunerated for their efforts, absolutely enjoy their jobs, and show properties in that dark if it helps both parties.

Hi Peter,

I agree that there are some good property managers out there, but in general, if you look at the marketing done for PM and the responce time to return a enquiry it is well behind a response from a sales agent regarding property for sale.

I have not had a bad experience with a property manager. I worked in property sales for 3 years and am now working in the PM field and have noticed the difference.

Back