How long does it take for Logan Council to register the rate paid on settlement?

I've just got a council bill of $1300 ish today :eek:

Talked to PM and she said usually quarterly rate is about $600-$800, to the total above is out of ordinary.

Talked to my conveyancer who took care of the purchase, he said the council can take time to register the adjusted council rate paid on settlement (it was about $700 on the 25 September, paid until the end of September)

My guess is that the council hasn't received or lodged the payment for the last quarter into the account? I'm calling them tomorrow morning, but just want to double check, does it usually take this long?? :(

It's Logan Central QLD

It is paid by cheque on settlement date, this involves physically mailing the cheque along with a covering letter to the council. This should only take a matter of days to process.

It is paid by cheque on settlement date, this involves physically mailing the cheque along with a covering letter to the council. This should only take a matter of days to process.
Ok, will check with the council once they're open. I hope a quarter bull is not really $1300, that'll throw my initial calculation out in the water :(

Called the council, they said there were arrears from the last quarter. They said cheques should be processed on the day they received them. Told me to call the conveyancer

Called the conveyancer, he said this happens all the time with Logan Council, sometimes take them months to register the number. Asked him to find out what happens.

Conflicting information! :eek:
I'll pay the current quarter rate and will follow up again.

I've found Logan City Council to be pretty good in this regard. It is always possible your Solicitor took a while to post the cheque to Council.

I've found Logan City Council to be pretty good in this regard. It is always possible your Solicitor took a while to post the cheque to Council.

Maybe he does, Logan City Council also replied to my email stating that they have not received any payment from the 25th of September :(
Eitherway, future Brisbane purchase will be a different solicitor/ conveyancer

I bought 2 properties in Logan city council area at the beginning of the year, I had no problems.

I agree that your conveyancer may be the issue here.

I bought 2 properties in Logan city council area at the beginning of the year, I had no problems.

I agree that your conveyancer may be the issue here.

Well. I called him again and he said it happens all the time and not to worry and to just pay the bill for this quarter.
He reckons it's because settlement happens just before the next quarter etc. and all will be sorted by itself :(

Back