How long does it take for titles to be issued?

After a builder has submitted all paper work to the government, how long does it take for titles to be issued ?

I agreed to purchase a property back in October 2014 which was about 90% complete. I was told by REA that he expected the settlement to be complete end of December but may extend into January due to holidays. December's gone, so has January and now February is going away. I haven't heard anything from anyone. I asked the REA and he said the paper work is in, we are just waiting on the government. The conveyancer is equally useless. She was told last week the titles office is in possession of the paperwork and titles will be issued asap. I called the titles office and they confirmed their turn around time is 24 - 48 hours. So the paper work hasn't moved on till the titles office.

1) What sort of paper work gets submitted ?
2) Is there a way to know when all the paper work was lodged ?
3) The sunset clause in my agreement has a date of 31st March. Does a sunset clause mean finishing of the property and lodging the paper work, or does it mean, by this date the settlement will be over ?
4) I am already managing breaking/extending my current lease and paying for storage of white goods - can I claim compensation for these costs ? (nothing about this is mentioned in the contract).

Get legal advice. A sunset clause may mean that the builder doesn't have to sell to you if the plans are not registered before that date. If the property has gone up in value substantially then guess what they often do...

Back