How long should I wait for MB contact?

Hi,
I'm looking at re-financing our PPOR to create an LOC for investment plus offset account.
I met with an MB (off this forum) in January and outlined my plans. We talked over what I ought to do and I have since cleaned up my finances considerably.
Trouble is, I've been trying via email and telephone to contact him without response. Now >3 weeks, and I'm starting to think that's long enough for the courtesy he showed me in January.
So, in your opinion is that long enough or should I wait longer before seeking another MB's assistance?

I would be looking elsewhere after 1 week. (unless they were on holidays, which I'm sure you would be made aware of via voice mail messages or auto email responses)

Me too Barry even at 11.00pm i try and get back to clients same day although sometimes it goes into the following day.

I had 7 weeks off in the UK last year, told all my clients and still managed to process half a dozen deals through that period using a laptop.

Sometimes there maybe genuine reasons why he hasnt got back to you (We had vandals cut our phone lines / internet cables here in Chapel Hill last week and we were effectively off the air for nearly 2 days).

haha. Join the club. I was recommended someone from this forum also.
Weeks to get contact. Gave details then NOTHING.
Oh well. Guess he doesn't need the work.

Make sure both you and them are clear about expectations regarding what will be done and response times. They are also people too with families/stresses etc. Organising a loan isn't that hard but when **** goes wrong a broker really makes a difference as they know the territory well and can push the right buttons.

It's also a free market and theres plenty of brokers out there. If you had raised it with them and were still having problems I would investigate other options after a few weeks of no communication.

24 hours max. If the MB is so flat out that he/she can't even respond to an email then I'd be wondering how much time they would be putting into finding the right product, chasing lender up for prompt assessment/document issue/settlement & then aftercare if needed.

Regards
Steve

There is no special urgency (ie no pending settlement or similar) but I do want to keep moving, so I guess I'll look for another.
Thanks all!

Not saying anyone can be a MB but people did get loans before the broking industry came about. No offense intended (I always use a MB)

Hi Pete

No offense taken!

Having finally dragged an application across the line from first lodgments in November, 2009 let me tell you, mortgage broking is a job of work like any other, there is no such thing as an easy deal and I cannot recall any deal that I have been involved in which was just filling in a few forms and slinging the deal in the general direction of a lender.

Of course, brokers don't get to see the customers who can just walk into the local Branch, spend five minutes at the enquiry counter and walk away confident that they will get approval.

Perhaps for that handful of customers, organising a loan isn't that hard.

I am a customer, too, and over the years if it hadn't been for people going the extra mile for me, then I wouldn't be where I am today. And some of those deals were far from easy and yet those bank managers or brokers dragged deals over some very rough ground for me.

So, I try to pass it on.

I picked up the keys today for my most recent purchase. I handed some of my cards to the Estate Agent, telling him 'Glen, this may look easy from the outside, but believe me, this has been an almighty effort for the past nearly six months (bought the property at Auction in October, 2009) getting all this organised. I have cracked two teeth in the process, but nothing worthwhile is ever gained without effort and we are now off to the beach to paddle about for a bit and congratulate ourselves on our amazing good fortune!'

It's all about the team work, I am immensely grateful for the various teams which have and continue to help me. For any investor, having a strong, knowledgeable and reliable team will help them move mountains - if that is what they want to do.

There are many successful investors on this Forum who do all their work themselves - apply for their own loans, paint their own houses, manage their own properties. Their team is themselves and that works well for them

But for the rest, that team may include a skilled broker, insurance agent, plumber, painter etc. It's about whatever works best for you.

Cheers
Kristine

Last edited:
Hi Pete

No offense taken!

Having finally dragged an application across the line from first lodgments in November, 2009 let me tell you, mortgage broking is a job of work like any other, there is no such thing as an easy deal and I cannot recall any deal that I have been involved in which was just filling in a few forms and slinging the deal in the general direction of a lender.
It's been fun, hasn't it :p

Back