how long to wait for RE to list property.

If for example you are selling an ip and sign an authority with the real estate agent, what is a reasonable time to wait for the agent to officially put the property on the market once you sign?

By officially on the market I mean start advertising, erecting signs, etc.

I've been waiting 2 weeks and possibly could be 3 weeks.

Stupid me thought they just take a couple photos and slap it all together within a week? It's not a flash property so doesn't need anything special.

Couple days after signing the authority the agent that signed me up called to tell me he's going away for 2 weeks and has passed my file onto his colleague while he's away. I'm thinking he's delaying progress on purpose so not to miss out on any commission.

Is it the agency's principal that has gone on holidays? If it is one of the sales people, I would contact the agency principal enquiring why your sale has been left.

This approach worked for me when a PM dropped the ball on one of my properties.

mmm, bit sticky.

Still a gentle enquiry to the agency principal about how the agency handles this sort of situation and that you haven't had follow up since the sales person went on holidays.

Possibly have a record of your contact with the agency to show the last contact and what actions were to follow when the sales person went on holidays (although I would only use this as a back up plan if required - you need to work with this agency until either the property is sold or at least the sales contract is terminated)

5-7 days tops if you need pro photography. Otherwise 2-3 days tops

If they dont want your business then terminate and go elsewhere. Thats what I did when my Bendigo PM dithered and wasted months to re-let a house. I am still getting invoices from trades for work done earlier this year as after termination they put their sulky pants on and send suppliers invoices back return to sender rather than on forwarding to me or new PM.

Agent is using pro photography and told me it does take longer. I doubt it will be listed next week. Just as well I'm not desperate to sell!

I would keep reminding them that you're there otherwise you're allowing their slackness. If you allow this now, how would they be when it is advertised (and will they be prompt in replying to enquiries etc)? The more passive you are, the more passive you'll allow them to be.

If you want to be sneaky, you could go to other properties that are advertised through that agent (PPORs) and ask how they found the process, timing etc, just to put your mind at ease (this is traditionally the slow period for the RE market, unless you're buying in a hot market when everyone's run off their feet).

I'm currently working with a REA to sell and I'm the one holding the process up! He gently called the other day to enquire how I was progressing so at least he's on the ball. I like it when the service agents (be it PMs, REA, brokers) keep you, as the customer, updated on progress - it shows that they have interest in your business.

Last edited:
Terminate the agency agreement and move the listing to another agency to sell.

The contract would have had internet advertising on XYZ sites as part of the agreement, they have failed to deliver on their part of the contract

I don't think it's that easy Dave? Wouldn't you still have to pay them commission? It's no sale no charge. I don't need to sell, I just said to them if you get me $x I'll sell. Won't consider anything less.

If you have waited 3 weeks and they still have not even gotten it listed for sale, then I would tell them to get stuffed. They cant claim commission if its not listed and they did not introduce anyone/effect the sale as its not listed yet!

I'll have to read the contract again tonight. I was of the understanding that if you terminate any time you need to pay the commission fee.

But they haven't delivered what they have promised.

How long do you think I would be employed if I signed an employment agreement and 3 weeks later I haven't shown up for my first day.

Commission is paid when the house is sold. If the house isn't listed then how can they hit you up for commission ??

3 weeks is a joke. Name the agent so others know to avoid and move on.

Commission is paid when the house is sold. If the house isn't listed then how can they hit you up for commission ??

3 weeks is a joke. Name the agent so others know to avoid and move on.

Yes and no. If their authority period is still continuing and you sell through someone else you will be up for another lot of commission.

Sometimes the rough 'ill-do-what-I-want' method isn't the way to go.

Back