how many have gotten rid of the old landline and how does that work for you?

Now, the total distance from the local exchange to whatever house I'm renting at the time is one of the top 3 criterion in selecting a place to live. ;)

People may laugh, but this is exactly the way I look at it too.

Partly because I work from home and rely 100% on my internet connectivity for my work - it must be extremely reliable (and preferably fast).

I would not consider moving somewhere which did not have good enough internet connectivity.

When I moved to the country a few years ago, we went from:

Inner city 1br unit with no yard, close to shops, cafes, the works. Around 200m from the exchange - ADSL2 at 22mbit (a little unstable but rock solid at around 20mbit).

To:

Country house, huge 3br, on half an acre, 15 min drive to shops, no mains water. No ADSL. No mobile reception initially. We dropped to 64 or 128k ISDN, and in the last few months we were getting 3mbit wireless - which also meant we suddenly got perfect mobile reception. That area still has practically no TV reception, it'll drop to none at all when digital takes over.

Quite the shock to the system.

I don't have a landline, and don't plan on it. Extra money spent because i'm never home, and my mobile is always fixed to me anyway.

When i lived at home (and had friends to hang out with :() i never used the home phone and my mobile bills were constantly high, now that i've moved out i don't use my phone as much. I really can't remember the last time anyone tried calling me on a landline.

mmmmm very interesting debate here, and i dont have the answers. but at the end of the day this is a key question as to whether you should hold telstra shares for the long run:D

We got rid of our land line ages ago. We moved the original land-line number to the VOIP line so callers didn't notice anything.

Can I ask who you use for voip? I didn't think it was possible to switch to voip and keep the same number you had on the old landline?

The biggest hurdle for me is the inability to fax over voip, but i'm looking at other options.

Can I ask who you use for voip? I didn't think it was possible to switch to voip and keep the same number you had on the old landline?

The biggest hurdle for me is the inability to fax over voip, but i'm looking at other options.

We're with iiNet Naked DSL. They moved our original land-line number to the VOIP line.

I've not tried faxing over VOIP but I did note that there were some 'challenges'. I've got a HP Laserjet m2727nf combo scanner/printer/fax.

A couple of things you'll want to do if things don't work straight-away faxing over VOIP is upgrade the firmware on your fax (if you can), turn off error correction and lower the baud rate.

Back