How many Properties are under your belt???

How many Properties do you have under your belt??

• Less than 5

Votes: 104 59.1%
  • Between 5 and 10

Votes: 56 31.8%
  • Between 10 and 15

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • More than 15

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi All.

I am one who is inspired by other people's successes as it is a driving factor behind my continuing to try harder.

I am not after Net Wealth, or Rental Incomes, just the number of properties people have been able to acquire and hold on to.

You are more than welcome to give an indication as to how long it has taken to acquire said properties.

As my name suggests, I am merely paying off my PPOR at the moment but I have plans...(as do all) :)

Cheers

Hmm.

Depends - define a "property". Are 4 flats on one title one or 4 properties?

What about the PPOR, which many use as the engine of growth?

Just trying to get some rigor into the results.

I'll also bet you stimulate some debate as to how meaningful is the number of properties owned, but since you've made your motivation clear I have no issue with that.

In my own little world here, I was defining property as the bricks and mortar attained that requires management/control.

I would be including the PPOR as 1.

If 4 flats on one block of land were counted as 4, then the poll would be simply reflecting buildings. Granted, I didn't think of flats when constructing the poll so yeah, there may be ambiguity. My bad...

Anyways, it was merely constructed to provide an indication of where people are at with their investing, and to brighten the light at the end of the tunnel for me. :)

PP a question,
does it really matter where any one else is in their investing?
Many of my friends have many IPs, shares etc, makes no difference to me as my motivation & path is different to theirs. I have only started investing in IPs exactly 12 months and 2 weeks ago, due to many hurdles. I have 2 IPs and building my third and working on my 4th.
You know where some of my inspiration come from, seeing my children or a friend follow my advise and buy their first home or IP. Makes me want to keep leading the way and showing them the path to a better future.

Regards
John

Less than 5 properties.

But 13 households in those properties (due to Quiggles' reasons).

And my property investing has enabled me to buy a Subway business (with the fourth highest turnover in Sydney and southern NSW).

So the IP count for me is only a small part of the road I'm travelling.

Last edited:
It's not just how many properties but the value of the properties and the type of property.

I know of one perosn who advises on what to buy who has 7 properties all in rural locations.

The sum total of her properties would not add up to the value of the cheapest property in my portfolio. ANd the capital growth I gain from one property in my portfolio far outweights the +ve cashflow she is getting.

To complicate matters more I own a number of commercial properties. The value of each is much more than the value of 3 median price properties.

I'm not trying to boast or impress anyone. I'm just suggesting if you are looking for inspiration ask about who has achieved financial independance or what is your protfolio worth or better still what is your nett worth.

Last edited:
Not sure how to answer this one as I have a block of Strata Titled flats. Is that 1, or is that 4. I also have a dual occupancy, again is that 1, or 2.

If you count the number of separate households like Geoff suggests it would be 13 and No 14 due to settle in the next couple of weeks.

I tend to think households rather than buildings, while agreeing with Michael Yardney that this is a rather simplistic way of looking at things. For the record, it's 13 buildings housing 29 households and one business. It's PP's poll, so I've voted with the bricks and mortar.

I'd make the point that this business, like most, is people first, returns second and product last.

However, if it inspires PP, who am I to scoff. Whatever works, mate!

Myself (not including husband).

4 x IPs
1 x PPOR
1 x Block of land (jointly owned)

I agree with Michael, it is not just about numbers although that can afford one some degree of "bragging rights" it does not necessarily paint a clear picture. I too know individuals who own 3 times the number of properties as both my husband and I combined, however their nett worth is not even half in comparison, and as for CG well, that too is relatively less.

But hey, as long as each person is happy; it's just numbers!!! :D

Cheers,

Jo

geoffw said:
And my property investing has enabled me to buy a Subway business (with the fourth highest turnover in Sydney and southern NSW).

So the IP count for me is only a small part of the road I'm travelling.

Geoff, (off topic)

As you have stated the property boom has been good to lots of us with increased equity and wealth over the past few years and the prospect of using that equity in many ways to create more wealth (as you have done).

I'd say its more than partly responsible for the economic health the country is experiencing at the moment.

What i would like to ask is how you used that increased equity in buying the subway. Did you sell a a couple? LOC on the quity and pay cash? Stabdard buisness loan with deposit from your equity?

(on topic)

At the moment i own seven freestanding houses. (just sold an empty block of land for a decent profit.....bloody NSW exit tax :mad: )

likewow said:
What i would like to ask is how you used that increased equity in buying the subway. Did you sell a a couple? LOC on the quity and pay cash? Stabdard buisness loan with deposit from your equity?
I had sold a unit in Brisbane in the previous financial year- but that was because it wasn't performing growth wise. That only provided a little more room on the LOC.

The Subway was funded using LOC from existing properties to provide the deposit for the business loan- which is 70% LVR on security of the business alone. I could have gone 50% but I wanted the flexibility of having a very good buffer available.

The business loan is 8.5% with a 10 year term- not great compared to residential loans, but the business is well able to support it.

I assume a "stabdard" business loan is short for "stab in the dark" :D

My typing is getting worse. Thanks for the reply. At that rate (with the 8.5%/10yr. bus. loan) you will be buidling equity in the business extra quick, which benefits you no end.

likewow said:
My typing is getting worse. Thanks for the reply. At that rate (with the 8.5%/10yr. bus. loan) you will be buidling equity in the business extra quick, which benefits you no end.
I'm aiming at "buidling" the equity more quickly than the minimum. Although business accounts don't allow an offset account, I can pay off some of the debt and redraw at $100 per withdrawal.

Finance these days gives you all sorts of options to refinance the bus loan. You could pay it out with a LOC or use a redraw loan as you mentioned. Or just put in a higher % of your profits to pay the loan down asap.

You would be in an enviable position to own a managed, unencumbered Subway franchise. Great cashflow business.

likewow said:
Finance these days gives you all sorts of options to refinance the bus loan.
We do actually have a bus loan (as distinct from a business loan)- a bus in Mexico. That one does not give us many options though.

Just made it into the 5 to 10 category. 4 out of 5 are in Sydney (including PPOR) with the last one in Melbourne. All Sydney IPs are rented furnished and are cf+. Haven't bought anything in the last year, focusing on sharemarket investment to build up a liquid buffer which I'll use to battle rising interest rates later this year.

Lotana

Last edited:
geoffw said:
We do actually have a bus loan (as distinct from a business loan)- a bus in Mexico. That one does not give us many options though.
Whereas with a taxi loan, you'd always have a call option :D

Back