How many properties can one PM manage?

What would you consider a reasonable number of properties for a PM to manage comfortably? As in, not so many that they are snowed under? Depends on a number of factors I suppose, but surely there is a limit.

Just wondering because I have heard that some small agencies can get snowed under with so many properties and because its a real estate agency they focus on sales not PM so don't hire more staff....

50 to 80 is a good benchmark but that depends on what their job description is.

Our property managers manage ~90 to 120 each and have a PA, administrator, outsource maintenance and trust accounting and the properties are only within a few KM of each other. We have different property managers for different suburbs or areas. If they were expected to do all the tasks that are outsourced they would very quickly be overwhelmed and quit.

The industry average for a property manager is 3 months before burnout. We've managed to keep some of ours for 1-3 years on the above model.

There is a new wave of exclusive property managers in Brisbane - small boutique - more personalised service.

An acquaintance (and REIQ) trainer specifically does high end properties at full management fees (10% +gst) but she only manages up to 20 at any one time...smart cookie

An acquaintance (and REIQ) trainer specifically does high end properties at full management fees (10% +gst) but she only manages up to 20 at any one time...smart cookie

Hmmmmm.....Is that a full time job?

Sounds like a trade off between time saved vs the lower yields of high end property. Though I should imagine she needs to work the corporate sector to lease 1.0m+ dwellings.

But then, where she probably outperforms is in not having to pay staff, like Xenia does :)

Hmmmmm.....Is that a full time job?

Sounds like a trade off between time saved vs the lower yields of high end property. Though I should imagine she needs to work the corporate sector to lease 1.0m+ dwellings.

But then, where she probably outperforms is in not having to pay staff, like Xenia does :)

She has other income streams - yes, there is a trade off. I guess each person/company is different with their approach to their marginal returns on investment. Big is not always better with lower margins at the high volume end... but the long term business goals are different.

Back