How many properties to retire?

Re: A LENGTHY reply

Steve,

Thanks for the information, it is very very interesting, in fact if what you say is realistic and achieveable then I am just a few years away from retirement.

I have a few questions.

>>>>>

Originally posted by Steve Navra
Hi Everyone,

Firstly let us establish the required retirement income:

A.L. would like $150,000 pa in 10 years time and with inflation at say 3% the future dollar amount would need to be: $201,587 pa

I will assume that this is Gross Income, so the net of tax income required will be $105,832 (Reduced by 47.5%)

->>>> OK this is a little less than 2000pw and and own my house in todays dollars but I could live with it! ( Maybe a good bottle of wine or two only on the weekends , and $15 a bottle wine weekdays).

Two points to digest:

Firstly it is twice as difficult if you are trying to create your income out of a taxable income source, example of this is the rental income you might receive from your properties after expenses. (Strangely enough though this is what most of the books teach you to do.) The result of course is the Whopping $4.5M required, which clearly is very difficult.
->>>> Difficult to the point of impossible.

Positive income from an asset source, is unfortunately fully taxed. (Hence the difficulty.)

The second point is that structure can allow your dollar to work multiple times simultaneously.

Example: Assume A.L. has over the next ten years managed to build up a property portfolio of $2,200,000 gross value (Less than half of the whopping 4.5M) with an LVR of 63% (Net equity of $814,000)
->>>> This is very achieveable in my opinion.

This is all that is required to give A.L. his $105,832 pa after tax; suddenly NOT so difficult.

So HOW to achieve this???

Buy a property today for $450,000 (Ah YES 25% above the median of the city say Melburne)

Now we know that Melbourne has averaged in excess of 7% capital growth over the last 10 years, BUT hey these are uncertain times and maybe we are at the top of a cycle etc, etc. I am suggesting that if you apply rental reality, you will NOT overpay for the asset and if you follow the correct criteria you will very likely achieve the 7% irrespective of the current cycle position. HOWEVER, for the cynics out there, I will assume that you refuse to follow my criteria, so let us assume a capital growth pa of 5% (If you get a lesser return than this, you are definitely doing something very wrong!)
->>>> I have very much come to the conclusion that ignoring the rental returns a simply focussing on growth could be dangerous. Investments made on simple hope that prices will keep going up and up independant of the ability to achieve earnings (dividends or rental returns) is doomed to fail. Rental reality (basing the purchase price on the rental returns achievable in the area) is a very nice tool to use to avoid paying too much.

So at 5% pa growth, this Property will be worth $733,000 at the end of 10 years.

Better than this, is the fact that at the end of 3 years the property will be worth $520,000 (Also at 5% pa growth) which means that you have gained $70,000 in equity, which is enough to cover the deposit and costs to buy property number two for $520,000.

It gets even better, because two years later both these properties should be worth $574,000 (still at 5% pa growth) which is an equity gain of $54,000 X 2 = $108,000:

So with a very self satisfied smile go out and buy property number 3 for $574,000.

Note: This occurs at the end of year 5: Now all you have to do is hold the three properties for the next 5 years and if they continue to grow at 5% pa, you are home and dusted.

3 properties each worth $733,000 = $2,199,000

Total DEBT = 90% of each purchase price: $450,000 + $520,000 + $574,000 X 90% = $1,389,600 (LVR of 63%)

->>>> In fact I could get here sooner rather than latter. There are heaps of "Yes, but" issues here such as if property remains flat for the next 5 years (very possible). However I have decided on a plan of "buy -> develop -> generate equity-> hold" that should get around many of these flat market issues ( ouch if market falls, but one step at a time).

SOLUTION: Approach reputable bank and ask for an 80% LOC facility against your total equity: $2,199,000 X 80% = $1,759,200 Less of course the existing debt of $1,389,600 = $369,600.
->>> Dear Westsuck, Please refinace my properties for an 80% LOC, I have a job and enough rental servicablity to meet your requirements. Just did it, should be possible

Buy an income stream (Cashbond) with the $369,600 for three years:
Will provide an income of $123,200 pa (Capital return tax free)
And interest portion of $3,499 pa interest ( which is taxable) X 47.5% = $1,811 after tax.
->>> Dear Westsuck, here is the $370K from my LOC please give me a cashbond paying 123K year.
Never considered it, but I understand the concept.

Total tax free income: $125,011 (You smiling yet A.L. ??)
->>> :) Nice!

However, let us not forget that there is a cost for using the $369,600 at say 6.5% = $23,998 pa
->>> OK.
So your net of tax living income will be $125,011 - $23,998 = $101,013
Which is equivalent to $212,658 taxable = $158,23 in today’s dollars (3% inflation)

See it is soooooo EASY!

NOTES:

1) You might be asking what happens at the end of the three years, when you have spent the money?? Well $2,200,000 of property growing at 5% pa = $110,000, which is MORE than you are spending each year, so at the end of the three years your properties will have grown by more than you have spent. You can then draw down the equity and buy yourself a further income stream . . . and eventually it goes to your kids.

2) What about serviceability? The cashbond creates serviceability beyond what you will need to continue this process.
->>> Is this really really what happens in real-life? Would a bank really give me more money, based on the fact I have have a cash 3 year cash bond due to fully retired in 3 months and I need the LOC to buy a new cash bond to service the loan over the next 3 years? Mrs AL would worry herself to death (or she would worry me to death)!
3) What happens if my property grows at less than the 5%: Spend less!
->>> 3.5) So what happens if my properties during one 3 year period happend to fall in value or remain flat....? It could well happen coudnt it? During any property cycle negative returns for a period could and do happen. I cannot let my kids scrounge for dropped potato chips and 1/2 eaten burgers in the rubish bins at McDonalds? A purdent course of action is that I need a 5 year buffer? Another thought here is to use a number of smaller cashbonds (some 3 years, some 5 years some 7years) with different delivery periods and start/stop dates...droping income a little but really smoothing out the market ups and downs.
4) What if my properties grow at greater than the 5%: Spend more, or save the extra for a year when it might be lower.
->>> Yes, looking a risks I think a buffer is very reasonable to maintain.

5) If the projected property growth is 7% (Yes you got all the selection criteria correct) your income level will be nearly DOUBLE!!
6) If you ‘Value Add’ with shares for example your income will be nearly TRIPLE!
7) Can you do this?? ONLY if you want to . . .

->>> Well, yes I do, the plan I am executing now, building equity should offer me a the option of using a cash bond structure in the (nearer) future. The basic is building equity on well located properties that provide a decent rental return is the core of your structure, few on this forum could fault this!. From a logical point of view what you say seems very fair and reasonable. For my emotional mind, it is seems "good" to live off rental income, but "un-good" to live off increasing debts levels. However the % of debt will remain consistent and if well managed will move down over time!. So it is more a mind-set than a real problem.
My core questions are
  • What happens if price rises dont occur during any cashbond period eg. Melboure was flat for 5 years from 1991!
  • Spending money from a cashbond without paying tax seems almost a loophole, am I expose to any risk if the government changed the rules?
  • Are there many people living of this struture for 5 or 10 years or more? How many people are living the cashbond life?

Hope this is of interest,
->>> Yes very very much, thanks for spending the time to reply, I will print it out and keep around for regular review. Cashbonds seem a lovely way to access equity tax effectively without selling ( triggering CGT) or using a LOC and spending it directly (triggering taxes, and inability to meet banking serviblity requirements)

Regards,

Steve

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT ADVICE, RATHER IT IS MERELY AN EXAMPLE OF HOW INVESTMENT STRUCTURE CAN WORK.

PLEASE CONSULT A LICENSED PLANNER FOR ADVICE BEFORE CONSIDERING SUCH PLANS
Steve,

->>>> I have very much come to the conclusion that ignoring the rental returns a simply focussing on growth could be dangerous. -Steve
Hi Steve, rental growth is much less than price growth. One growth calculator I used recently suggested using a figure close to average inflation. So I would be very concerned to buy a high yield, low growth property because over time rents will only move with inflation. If your net worth is largely dependent on capital growth you want to invest in properties which will show price growth that is at least twice inflation.

I would only buy a high yield, low growth property to improve my cash flow. But isn't that what cashbonds do? What we need is a comparison done of cashbonds versus high yield, low growth property. What are the pros and cons? Which is the better investment?

Regards, Mike

Last edited:
Re: Re: A LENGTHY reply

Originally posted by kheaver
Do you still need to use Cashbonds now that low doc loans seem to be more available.
The cashbond increases serviceability at a cost, but the low doc loans ignore serviceability with a higher interest rate.
Do they both achieve the same thing.

Regards,
Kim

In this instance Steve is suggesting the use of the "cashbond" (annuity) to provide an income stream

OK. I have a really dumb question, but I can't see the answer.

Measured long term, I must presume that property growth will exceed inflation. Am I right or wrong on this, firstly?

If property prices continue to grow, but rent increases only by inflation, this tells me Yields will continue to drop forever and, in theory, they will one day approach zero.

But they don't [seem to].

Even in Jan's book she talks about rents taking a while to "catch up" during a property boom because wage earners incomes are not increasing at the same rate and I thought "Yeah, that makes sense".

But if they do "catch up", either:

1. Long term growth is the same as inflation, if it is *true* that rents generally increase by inflation. OR

2. Rents actually do grow faster than inflation, to catch up to the long term property growth.

Can someone offer me an opinion/explanation on this?

Always learning,

I agree, forgeting the rental yield and buying for capital growth could be the road to bankrupcy.
On Manly beach road there's a newly built block of units. One, a two bedroom, two bathroom,large living area, reasonable sized kitchen etc plus a huge balcony over looking the beach.
Cost $892,000. In a few years this unit will be easily worth over the million dollar mark.
Buying the unit and renting it out at 5% rent yield would mean
shovelling big dollars into the negative gearing.
Should you just say stuff it and go for it, knowing that GOD isn't making any more water front land? That in years to come this unit will be beyond "us". Hoping there's no interest rate rises.
Decisions decisions.

bbruham.

In answer to the original question (when should I retire from real estate) I would say - never! Why on earth would you want to retire? The worst thing that can happen is that you have excess money. Then, all you would have to do is think about what goals you want to achieve, now that money is not a problem, and you will soon find that 100K a year in positive cash flow will not be enough to achieve them. That will inspire you to keep going.

Retire, I suppose this means different things to different people. Retire doesnt mean sitting around watching "Midday with Ray" (Sorry this crap was running last time I watch TV in Australia). Retirement maybe for me means "financially independant", which is a goal I believe everyone should have. There are sooooo many things I could do with my time other than "work".
  • Traveling, I love travel and could spend lots of time visiting the world living amoung the peoples of the world. What about living in Europe for a few years, then India, then USA then Argentina, study cooking in China, skiing in Colarado, money to spare and easy to fly home if needed.
  • Studying. Advancing the frontiers of science in a subject you love. Lets say you like neural networks and there is nothing you would like more than spending 3 years doing a PhD in an obsure area of Neural networks.
  • Family. What about quality time with the family. OK I know once my daughters are about 12 years old, they wont want to talk or be seen with daddy...but still I could be with them more, supporting their education, being part of there life rather than just working.
  • Control. Being in full control of my life, I dont depend on a job and the wims of my CEO,CFO to allow me to feed my children.
  • Starting New Business. Its hard to start a new business when you have to worry about providing food and school for your kids.
  • ****y reason - 1. :rolleyes: Ha...this software removes naughty words!!! like W.a...kyWould you be a better person for the skills and control you would need to use over many years to become financally independant? As Jim Rohn says, once you are a millionaire you could through away the money, because you will be the type of person who have the skills to make it all back. I see this with many people of this forum, I think they could loose their money and still have the skills to make it back. Many millionaires loose it all and then make it back, many never try! Mrs AL wouldnt respond well to me loosing it all so I plan never to let it happen!
  • ****y reason - 2. Helping others, currently I only sponsor 2 children with World Vision, wouldnt it be great to be able to sponsor an entire school, be give to others a life that they otherwise would be impossible for them.
Currently I dont have enough hours in the day, weeks in the year or years in my life to spend 50*50*40 ( 50 hours a week, 50 weeks a year over 40 years) working!!!! I have deap respect for my company, I dont hate my job, my coworkers or my boss, I just hate having to have a job.

So I dont plan to "retire" from RE, but it is a means to an end for me. Honestly I dont do this to have deap and meaningful realationships with tenants and realestate agents! However IMO "investing in IP" is my answer to the question we should continuously be asking: "Right now, What is the best use of my time and capital?".

Last edited:
Half a book!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the interest shown in this thread, credit to Tim and Always Learning for instigating the main part of the discussion, and to Kevmeister for making some interesting comments.

Now short of writing a book (I run the courses for this reason!) I will attempt to answer some of the questions and make a few salient points.

SALIENT POINTS:

Prior to implementing Cashbond structure, it is necessary to understand some of the implications of the education.

All assets do need to produce income, capital growth and allow use of collateral.

The correct property selection criteria should by definition allow you to obtain at least the average growth for the city.

Rental Reality as a method for valuing property will prevent you from buying property at the ‘wrong’ end of the cycle.

I only use conservative growth projections, whereas if the criteria are adhered to the results are vastly increased, which solves most of the ‘shortfall’ queries.

SOME ANSWERS:

Note that I have only selected some of the questions; there were just too many to do them all, but I believe these to be the most important.

>>>>>How do we handle a period like 1991-2000 when we would have very little capital gain in our properties but our living expenses continue to grow, and our debt % also grows.>>>>>

If you had employed rental reality you most probably would not have purchased beyond 1986/7 prices. The result of this would have meant that you wouldn’t have experienced “very little” capital growth. The big MISTAKE is that if one buys at the ‘wrong’ end of a cycle (overpaying) then you might well experience little / no / decrease in value compared to the price you paid.

>>>>> Do you still need to use Cashbonds now that low doc loans seem to be more available. The cashbond increases serviceability at a cost, but the low doc loans ignore serviceability with a higher interest rate. Do they both achieve the same thing..>>>>>

With a low doc loan you are required to make a signed declaration of your income. If you state an income that does NOT ACTUALLY exist, you are committing fraud! (If you don’t believe me, check with your solicitor) The purpose of the cashbond is to provide a valid income stream that can be used to enhance serviceability.

>>>>> Steve is incorrect to say (sorry, Steve) that the entire $70K of growth is available - only 80% of it is available ($70K * 0.8 = 56K)..>>>>>

Yep Kevmeister is correct: ‘Twas late at night . . . So adjust the figures as Kev suggests. Mainly though, accept the principle of how this works. When we do the individual spreadsheets for each person, I assure you they are accurate!

>>>>>Surely this amount cannot be tax deductible any longer against the property? If so, are you not essentially creating non-deductible debt for yourself? The original amount of deductible debt of $1,389,600 remains. You now have $369,000 or $264,000 of "personal debt"?.>>>>>

The test for deductibility was the purpose of the original loan. Was it required for the purpose of obtaining finance that would allow you to acquire an income producing asset. I recommend that each individual obtain such a directive (through your accountant) so as to claim the deduction. Once approved by the tax office the deductions will continue as long as the loan exists.

>>>>>when you borrow $900,000 plus you don't pay tax..>>>>>

Likewise, when you live off capital you legally don’t pay tax either. Both scenarios seem wonderfully suitable! However, if you value add with shares, you WILL pay tax on your gains: so it will be wonderful to have some property deductions as the offset.

>>>>> Spending money from a cashbond without paying tax seems almost a loophole, am I expose to any risk if the government changed the rules?.>>>>>

NOT a loophole: it is your own capital and this has never been taxed as income. Government would need to completely overhaul the tax system to change this. (Might happen in about a 100 years after we get over the GST fiasco)

>>>>>Are there many people living of this struture for 5 or 10 years or more? How many people are living the cashbond life?.>>>>>

I have only offered the cashbond to my clients for the last 6 years. About 42% of the client base utilizes this method to varying degrees of passive income. Search the archives and you will find that some of these who are completely passively retired on this income now do reno’s as a career / business. (Privacy laws prevent me mentioning who they are, but some have volunteered their names in the archive.

GREAT QUESTION FROM KEVMEISTER:
>>>>> If property prices continue to grow, but rent increases only by inflation [rent increases by A.W.O.T.E.], this tells me Yields will continue to drop forever and, in theory, they will one day approach zero..>>>>>

The anomaly of course is that this DOES NOT happen . . . and yet it is true that price growth does outstrip rental growth???????????

The answer is that the rich get richer and the poor get poorer:

So it takes wealthier people to afford the increased rentals in more expensive areas. (As these properties increase in value and subsequently command higher rents.)

At the other end of the scale the poorer renters (an increasing number of people sadly) will rent properties in less expensive areas. (Usually further out from the city and infrastructure) The spread of wealth within the total tenant population is a changing dynamic. The anomaly seems to occur, because the average weekly ordinary times earnings is AVERAGED throughout the tenant population, whereas you are focusing ONLY on these properties that have increased in value. (Properties at the cheaper end of the market are continually coming onto the market)

Lastly just to address some of KevM’s comments:

>>>>>I don't think the course was a revelation! for me overall - probably because I've already spent a bit of time trying to understand the whole cash-bond idea, and reading as much as I can on these forums.>>>>>

Hey Kev, I thought I had been quite generous to post all the info FREE on the forum in the first instance! Would you have preferred that I didn’t share this info on the forum?
The purpose of the course is to demonstrate how ALL the concepts can be integrated into the overall structure. (But yes, you certainly had done your homework)

>>>>>I felt Steve was getting a little "sales-ey" regarding his managed fund.>>>>>

Sorry if you felt that, I really am NOT selling anything: the course is meant to be about education only. However, I will admit to being VERY passionate about the share trading system :D . . . so please don’t misunderstand my enthusiasm as being sale-ey. (Humbly me)

>>>>>it left me wondering what that time would have been used for in previous courses when there was no pending managed fund.>>>>>

In past courses I devoted this time to giving much instruction to attendees about how to do the trading themselves. Also, I gave away a free ‘beta’ version for clients to use and test, so I spent time explaining how to use it. The resulting feedback was a HUGE request from the clients for us to offer the managed fund, hence the path we are currently embarking on.

I RUN THE COURSES FOR THE LOVE OF DOING THEM:

Yes, I do run a Financial Services business: it is up to each individual to decide if they wish to utalise our services and MOST IMPORTANTLY this might occur ONLY AFTER the course and assessment.

Once again thank you for your questions, I hope this has been of interest to all of you.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Kevin,

In your post #44 you asked whether rents over time had the same growth rate as property prices. I couldn't find any studies on the internet to confirm or deny this but this quote from the book Property Investments and their Financing by P J Rowland (1997) suggests that rental growth is weaker than price growth. "Forecasting rents over the holding period requires a knowledge of past and current conditions in the local market and national and even international trends. In the long term, rents for residential properties appear to be closely related to rates of consumer price inflation, less the effects of obsolescence. Recent cycles in many markets have been characterised by one or two years of explosive growth, followed by longer periods of static rents (often declining in real terms)."

For commercial property rents usually rise in line with inflation with the occasional rent review fixed at market rent. Noteworthy is the fact that commercial property prices are usually determined with consideration to the rental yield and net business cashflow. This means that yield will be much less volatile than is the case with residential property where rent and price don't seem correlated. Yes, there is an average yield stated for property in capital cities at around 5% when conditions are normal but, as we know, yields are down as low as 3.5% at the moment because price growth has outstripped rent growth. When vacancy rates fall below 3% again rents will no doubt outpace prices for a time.

Despite what Jan`s book states I believe, long-term, rents don't outpace wages growth and wages growth certainly doesn't outpace price growth because if it did it would be easier to save that deposit, wouldn't it?

The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) has a policy of containing inflation between 2-3%. They say that robust productivity growth, moderate wages growth and continuing competitive pressures (both domestically and abroad) will help achieve that target. In addition, they say that 4.5 per cent wages growth is the level at which it believes wage-induced inflation pressure becomes a problem. So I believe that until the supply of new rental stock dries up and vacancy rates shrink rent growth will be influenced by low inflation and low to moderate wage growth.

Over the long term I agree with P J Rowland that obsolescence dampens rent growth to a greater extent than price growth which is influenced by land values. As a property gets older, without renovation it loses its competitive edge against newer property. Rents are lower and vacancy periods longer. To combat the threat of vacancy rents are further reduced. I think this probably reduces the yield in the long term and returns a long term rent growth rate nearer to inflation.

Regards, Mike

Thanks for the replies Steve.

Could yourself and/or some of our mortgage brokers please clarify something for me though? This point still confuses me.

You said:

>>>>> Do you still need to use Cashbonds now that low doc loans seem to be more available. The cashbond increases serviceability at a cost, but the low doc loans ignore serviceability with a higher interest rate. Do they both achieve the same thing..>>>>>
With a low doc loan you are required to make a signed declaration of your income. If you state an income that does NOT ACTUALLY exist, you are committing fraud! (If you don’t believe me, check with your solicitor) The purpose of the cashbond is to provide a valid income stream that can be used to enhance serviceability.

Ok. We have to have a LOC set up to buy the Cashbond and hence give us the 'income stream'. Pluses would be that some lending institutions may see the resulting annuity payments as an income stream to allow additional borrowings(How many lending institutions, who they are and what if any restrictions they place on this process would be an interesting question too.....but I digress from the main question). With an annuity setup we then head off to apply for additional loans. NB. Negative would be if we ever wanted to cash the cashbond in we would be up for reasonable exit fees of many thousands of dollars.

Alternatively if you could(?) simply set up the LOC(say $150K) and then apply for something like a Lo-Doc stating that you do have access to an additional $33K a year over 5 years because that's what we intend withdrawing from the LOC. Would this be seen as being 'illegal' in your Lo-Doc type application?? The benefit to this(if possible?) is you wouldn't have any exit fees like if you wanted to cash a cashbond in later and you probably wouldn't be bound by any restrictions a lending institution may or may not place on you to tell them things like if you cash the bond in.

I guess the questions boils down to 1. "If I indeed stated on a Lo-Doc Application that I had say $33K(from a $150K LOC) 'income' a year.......would that be any more misleading than stating I had $33K from an annuity?" 2. "Would this process also increase my borrowing capacity?"

I'm sure I'm missing something very simply here..........

Thanks guys.

:)

Hi Alan,

Yes you are missing something simple :D

As far as I know, we have an arrangement to get together at my North Sydney Offices within the next two weeks: I will explain it in detail then!

(I think I have sat up enough late nights on this post :p )

Look forward to seeing you,

Regards,

Steve

PS: Excellent post #50 by Mike above.

Great info here guys!!

Now I realise it's all about the "concept" rather than actual figures and this is quite trivial, but I calculated a nett income after tax on $201,587 of $118,754 rather than the $105,832 at the 47.5% rate.

Can someone pls tell me what i'm missing? I'd just like to know that when I do the sums, i sort of know what i'm doing.

Cheers Big Ears.
Tikki.

Originally posted by Tikki
I calculated a nett income after tax on $201,587 of $118,754 rather than the $105,832 at the 47.5% rate.

Income tax top rate is 47% + 1.5% medicare levy = 48.5%.

However, you don't pay that on the full amount (unless this income is in addition to other income which already puts you in the top tax bracket) - only on amounts over $60,000. For rough calculations, a flat 48.5% is a reasonable guestimate in my opinion.

What about assets held in a trust

If the assets contining the equity are held in say a family trust, can you still obtain a LOC against this for personal use?

Can this be done when the trust has a corperate trustee?

Just curious

PS: this is a great thread

Hi Mike,

Re rental growth and price growth, I haven't found much on it either but here are some thoughts.

Rents reflect affordability and prices reflect serviceability and scarcity.

Since affordability is closely related to wages growth it makes sense to assume that rents will grow at near the CPI or the inflation rate.

The effect of serviceability on price it's own means that when interest rates fall prices go up and vica versa. Problem is we know that wages/CPI/Infaltion/rents grow at 2-3%pa and house prices grow at 4-8%pa. It doesn't matter which way you cut it but the numbers are unsustainable.

That's where the scarcity factor comes in. After say 30-50 years the price of the property (land) grows to a point that it has outstripped wages and serviceability so we turn it into a duplex. 30 to 50 years later we turn the duplex into a block of flats and after another 30-50 years a high rise block of flats. Heritage orders and other market distortions notwithstanding.

The land is cut up to into increasingly smaller segments so that the numbers (affordability/serviceability) work.

The old saying is 'buy land my boy, they aren't making any more' and Steve Navra is on the right track with his 30% land formula for that reason.

It is the scarcity factor which means that land (and by association the property that sits on it) will outpace wages growth. Yields will continue to fall over time unless you add value through redevelopment/subdivision.

Watch what happens to a suburb if a council bans all development - it 'stagnates'. Why? affordability and price are brought back into balance and both will grow at approx the same rate until serviceabilty changes by a shift in interest rates.

Anyway this is just some not very well thought out opinions so shoot it down by all means, but it doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Regards, Michael Croft

Oh I forgot, renos will increase yields but they also increase price. The value to a renovator is that the yield increase is only that because the price increase of the reno is a paper gain unless it is sold.

Regards, Michael Croft

Sorry Sim, but it still doesn't add up.
Admittedly, i didn't account for the medicare levy.
Can someone pls explain...

Originally posted by Tikki
Sorry Sim, but it still doesn't add up.
Admittedly, i didn't account for the medicare levy.
Can someone pls explain...

In order to get some "close enough" numbers, Steve merely reduced the gross income by 47.5% to get the after tax income.

He should have used 48.5% (unless I'm missing something and have been paying too much tax !!) - and if he was after accuracy, he should have used a tax calculator to work out how much tax you pay on the first $60K.

But it was a "close enough" measurement, and so his quick calculation is probably good enough - doesn't have to add up exactly !

For your reference - if you need it to be more accurate - my "quick" calculation using 48.5% on $201,587 gives $103,817 net income. If you use a tax calculator (*Sim' pulls out PIA), you get a figure of $116,437 after tax.

So you aren't going crazy - Steve's $105,833 is accurate IF you use 47.5% as the tax rate.

Back