How many properties to retire?

Originally posted by Tikki
Sorry Sim, but it still doesn't add up.
Admittedly, i didn't account for the medicare levy.
Can someone pls explain...

Well, $201,587 - 47.5% = $105,832.

Steve assumed that the entire earnings amount was taxed at the top marginal rate (should be 48.5 incl. medicare levy).

But, in practice, if this was your only income, the first $6K would be tax-free, another portion would be taxed at 17% or so, another at 34%, another portion at 43% and the remainder at 48.5%.

The "real" tax on $201,587 would be $85,180, leaving $116,407, much as you have suggested (based on ATO's monthly tax tables, tax-free threshold claimed, no leave loading).

Hmmmmmmmmm,

I won't get into all this 'snap / groan' stuff :D

Just to say thank you to everyone, the input into this thread has been edifying.

Regards,

Steve

Originally posted by Kevmeister
OK. I have a really dumb question, but I can't see the answer.

Measured long term, I must presume that property growth will exceed inflation. Am I right or wrong on this, firstly?

If property prices continue to grow, but rent increases only by inflation, this tells me Yields will continue to drop forever and, in theory, they will one day approach zero.

But they don't [seem to].

Even in Jan's book she talks about rents taking a while to "catch up" during a property boom because wage earners incomes are not increasing at the same rate and I thought "Yeah, that makes sense".

But if they do "catch up", either:

1. Long term growth is the same as inflation, if it is *true* that rents generally increase by inflation. OR

2. Rents actually do grow faster than inflation, to catch up to the long term property growth.

Can someone offer me an opinion/explanation on this?

Well I consider this for a number of months and asking questions on this forum. Here is a summary.

• E typeThere will be a bulk of properties owned or rented by salaried/wage slaves. ie. Out west in most capital cities (maybe out east in Perth)
  • B type. There will be a smaller percentage of high end properties owned or rented by people not dependant on salary or wages. eg. Mosman, Double Bay, Toorak etc.
  • EB type. There will be a percentage of properties which have some characteristics of both.

Let me bore you with my ideas.

Lets divide the property market into three overlapping market segements.

First the high end "B" properties. Nobody on normal PAYE salaries generally can only dream to own them. There price is dependant more on the price of the stock market and the general money in the economy. I am a strong beliver in the "Rich getting Richer", this law seems to have held true for a long time, the rich will find a way of "accumulating" a larger proportion of the money in the economy to them. For example if another 10Billion of wealth is generated in Australia next year 9 Billion of it will be in the hands of the the top 3%. Thus high end properties will keep going up by a much greater proportion than the average growth of the economy. Rich will get richer, and they will spend some it on nice places to live. So expect in the long term for those suburbs with $1M or more average prices to increase at a rate much exceeding the growth in the economy. (B properties will also loose badly when the economy goes backwards). These properties grow at a rate exceeding inflation, basically I think you will see they they will grow at a mulitiple of economic growth.

"E" type properties. The bulk of properties are owned by employees, I think these properties must be tethered to the ablity of employees to pay for them. Exceptional price growth in recent history seems to much more a function of improved affordability due to low interest rates than by improved salaries/wages. In a low interest rate environment where rates can only go up, maybe this is something we need to be very carefull not to pay over the odds. I cannot believe that these properties can exceed inflation over the long term, price increases must have a strong relation to the wage earners salary growth. However as we have seen, interest rates also play a big part of the affordablity.

"EB" type properties. These are those properties owned by profesional people, small business owners, people with jobs and other assets (and the group AL wants to join!). Basically not B type and not E type. So these properties will exceed inflation over the long term, but not to the extent that B type properties will.

For most capital cities there is also population increases, meaning more land is required for houses/units of the same size or more houses/units need to be built on the same amount of land. Result, prices of most existing land will increase in price as the general population competes. So owning land will over time be expected to increase in value above inflation. 10 years ago I was ripped off and purchased a house for $88K (I was told that I paid 8K too much!) , now inner city melbourne, Seddon is full of middleclass and the price has increased to the affordabilty of the middleclass. The same land has become more desirable.

So I believe long term land prices will increase at least above inflation and the more desireable the location/land the more the property will grow above inflation!.

Now what about the relationship between rents and property values? I suggest a more meaningful question be first asked; "What is the relationship between mortage affordability (the function of purchase price AND interest rates) and rental returns". Last year Michael Yardney suggested that he has noted that rental returns are generally average around 1.5% below the current interest rates for well located properties. Meaning investors like me can afford to contribute 1.5% (plus costs) above interest rates to get our hands on blue ribbon property. So if interest rates are 6% expect well located property to return 4.5%.

So I think that
  • Average rental returns will be related to affordablity in the long term. Average rental returns will not continue to fall over the long term. I think it is dangerous to buy a property returning 2% at the bottom of the interest rate cycle. If interest rates are 6% now and in 2 years are 9% I doubt you could expect that the tenants will be able to afford to pay 50% more in rent! How many people will buy a house in Sydneys Mosman for $3M 90% financed at 9%pa and be able and happy to suck up the difference in costs considering a tiny 1.5% rental return (ie $1200pw - costs).
  • The land compent of your property will exceed inflation in the long term, buying houses on good blocks of land will result in better than average growth but lower than average returns. Plan to capitalize on this one day by building units or changing getting delopment permits and on-selling to a developer!

The core of my belief is thus, to take care not to pay to much above the value of the rental returns. In Melbourne and Sydney this means that there is very little quality properties available. My stratagy is thus to first create equity, create income by development of units on existing land (ie. land that is returning 3%pa, build units and then boosting returns to 6.5-7%, gaining equity in the process). Others will buy and do a renovation or "make-over" but same result, better returns on the $ invested!

That's my 1cent worth. In November I will know if my development plan meets expections.

Fantastic thread everyone, please keep the discussion going.

Steve a special thanks for sharing your thoughts, however I dont agree that this is the way to go.

History shows us that yields on residential property have declined from almost 20% around 1900 to there current level say 5%. If this continues for the next 100 years yields would go to around 1.25% mainly due to cap growth. Interest rates are also at historic lows and if we follow the Japanese could go much lower. If this trend unfolds then Steve's plan will work brilliantly.

Unfortunately the world moves in mysterious ways and as a risk/reward strategy, a highly negatively geared strategy will come unstuck in a period of higher inflation with correspondingly higher interest rates (anyone remember 18% ?) and low capital growth(because of the high interest rates). Rents are quite likely to lag in a period of sudden high inflation and servicing loans would be extremely difficult. Try asking a bank for more money when you really NEED it and credit is tight!

So going back to the original question of how many properties to retire on, the correct answer is ... depends. It depends on what happens in the next 10 to 15 years. If you believe in low inflation/high capital growth then Steve's approach will work.
If you believe that the future high inflation/low growth then a strategy of +ve cashflow and paying off as quickly as possible before purchasing again and eventually living off the rent of 5 to 6 fully paid for properties maybe the best approach.

Please pick me to pieces, this thread is what the forum is all about. :D

Bye

In japan now, terrible things are happening to investors, everything is in reverse. Rents are decreasing, property prices are falling. These days 7% return for houses and 10% for units are very possible in middleclass areas! The property price falls are much higher than rental value falls, so the % returns have increased significantly.

Deflation is happening.

Japan is of course an extreem example, unbelieveable prices where paid 12 years ago (when 100% OPM was used, actually some smart people could find ways to get 110% of full cost from OPM...this really add hot air to any bubble!), the market mania of human greed was in full swing, now of course the opposite human negative depressive thinking is holding the market. If there is a reasonable chance the market will fall, who will buy? I dont think comparison of Japan 1990 and Australia in 2003 is reasonable.

But we should all consider the option "What would happen if interest rates rise 3% in the next 3-4 years and values of my properties remained stagnant, or fell in price 10%?" I personally think this senerio is more likely to occur than not! If it doesn't happen, well I was wrong again, but any consideration of IP investment risk must consider this as possible. Some on this forum would be saying, great, bring it on, I can hardly wait to pick up some firesale bargains!!!! Some like me would be saying, OK, not so good, but I will be OK. Some may be in deap sh.t! Same event different response!

AlwaysLearning: At the moment i've heard UK and USA both have 2-4% interest rates... I've always figured that Australia lagged both of these countries. If OPM was this cheap, then a lot more ppl would come rushing to property, which would drive up the prices which would drive down the rent yield %'s which would make R/E less attractive.

This doesn't make sense to me, does it to anyone else?

Originally posted by dtraeger2k
AlwaysLearning: At the moment i've heard UK and USA both have 2-4% interest rates... I've always figured that Australia lagged both of these countries. If OPM was this cheap, then a lot more ppl would come rushing to property, which would drive up the prices which would drive down the rent yield %'s which would make R/E less attractive.

This doesn't make sense to me, does it to anyone else?

not sure if you are refering to interest rates when your talking about lagging (or whether you are talking about property prices)

from a I rate POV the present aussie rba is actually leading the way in rate changes (ie pre-emptive rate changes) US and UK reserves are being a lot more reactive atm

Originally posted by always_learning

10 years ago I was ripped off and purchased a house for $88K (I was told that I paid 8K too much!) , now inner city melbourne, Seddon is full of middleclass and the price has increased to the affordabilty of the middleclass. The same land has become more desirable.

So I believe long term land prices will increase at least above inflation and the more desireable the location/land the more the property will grow above inflation!.

this is an important example which i think can help ppl put things in perspective

just reinforcing the point, even if you paid $8K too much back then or say $80K too much for it now - it might make your growth a little slower but if you can hold this for the long term you'll look back on your "mistake" and smile, happy about being so stupid.....

this is horribly off topic.....

This thread went across to MSNforum. Here's a reply I thought relevant. I'll corss post your comments back, Steve :)

Jas

"Steve's current structure is different to the one I set up through him 15 months ago.
The fundamental difference is the finance component.
He is now promoting a LOC over the total portfolio which would mean a cross collateralisation of all securities. This is fine if you have the experience and are able to show another lender serviceability to get out of that situation as quick as possible.
When I set up my structure with Steve it was a straight refinance deal with the majority of stand alone loans (With the exception of three crossed for the "Cash bond".Unavoidable but am in the prossess of uncrossing them now.)(I also no longer use the "cash bond structure" though it worked well for me at the time.)
My concern is that to the uneducated this seemingly obscure change to his strategy could present some real headaches down the finance track.
"

Jas,
Already spoke to Steve about it, he is going to email me with an answer which I will post to the forum (both).

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Hi Jas,

Mark (No hat some cattle) emailed me this posting and I replied to him via email, requesting him to post it on the 'other' forum.

Now it seems we are cross colateralising between forums!

I DO NOT, recommend cross colateralisation.

1) I am vehemently against mixing security assets (PPOR) with the investment assets.

2) I take a softer stance with X-col between investment assets, BUT only where absolutely necessary.

It sometimes comes down to choosing to X-col, or not getting the finance. (Sometimes it is better to take the compromise, rather than do nothing at all.)

3) In certain instances, lending institutions might insist on X-col, especially when their exposure to one client is in excess of $2 mil.

4) I fully agree with the poster of the thread, that applying cashbond structure requires advanced education and knowledge of the principles. It is for this reason that I run courses and ALSO the reason that I devote much time to addressing and answering the many enquiries on THIS forum.

I STRONGLY suggested to Mark, that he refer members from other forums to Somersoft so that they could read the archives if they wished to gain an insight into what WE all discuss here.

I remain committed to offering this service to the many members of THIS forum. (Many of whom I am now friendly with :))

It will be an arduous and time consuming task to have to follow every post in heaven knows how many other forums.

Sincerely,

Steve

Last edited:
Hiya

Some lenders that accept annuity income have a standard policy of xcoll for ANY deal and its hard work to convince them to do otherwise. These include Homeside and Bankwest.

NAB on the other hand doesnt want to xcoll, they just want an RMD over your entire trust and trustee co. just to make sure that if there are any crumbs left over...........

ta

Rolf

Ta

rolf

Sorry Kev et al

RMD = Registered Mortgage Debenture.

Lodged with ASIC.

Also known as fixed and floating charge.

Also commonly know as mortgage of private parts

Ta

rolf

Originally posted by Kevmeister
And RMD = ?

registered mortgage debenture ie probably a fixed and floating charge over all the assets and undertakings of the company, notice of which has been registered with ASIC for priority purposes...

at least I think that's what Rolf is talking about. :rolleyes:

Great thread!!! :D

The way CBA have done the same deal is by making me sing an equitable mortgage. The only thing it is equitable to is the bank;)

Still got my money made the deals and reaped the rewards.

Cheers

Hey guys what a hell of a thread !!!
I dropped into this one at what may become the tail end ... what a read.

Always Learning,

I love your opinion about property class and the rental / capital growth rates with respect to inflation and the state of the economy. I've already cut/pasted and sent it to friends.
I think you'll be running some courses soon.

Patosan, you have been in Japan too long!

Mrs Always Learning will have a good laugh about that when I tell her!!!
Her opinion would be more like, dazed, confused, and at 35 suffering from senile dementia. (Actually good characteristics for being a politician....Always Learning MP...!)

Back