How many units

Hi there,

I'm wondering if I can build 3 units on a 750sqm block. 16.5m frontage, location is Bentleigh (not a cnr block). I realise I need to talk to a town planner but was hoping to hear from people who have gone through similar experience.

Thanks in advance.

It only takes two minutes to go to the councils website, find their development plan and have a look for what is allowed. Easy......

Well, thanks, but as I mentioned before I was hoping to hear from people who did something similar, especially if you had to go to VCAT.

first thing you need to do is talk to someone at council - a duty officer is usually first port of call - to find out what is allowable on the block. you will find that even in one suburb, different streets (or parts thereof) have different density allowances.

usually it's something like - you're allowed to build 2 bedrooms per 250m2 of land; 3 bedrooms per 120m2 or land; 3 bedrooms per 450m2 of land; etc etc .... you also need to find out how many parking spaces and visitor parking spaces are required per number of bedrooms is required ... and minimum courtyard sizes etc ... those are only something you can find out by ringing the council (although you architect should also know these last two by rote).

once you have found out what is allowable, then it's up to you what you put on the block. 16.5m frontage is plenty. my architect advised that blocks need to be a minimum of 11m wide to allow for turn circles (to exit the property forwards) etc.

do some homework and then you're on your way. why on earth would you think vcat would get involved?

With regards to the properties on either side of your property, what is the setback for each property? ie the distance between the front boundary and the respective properties.

Is this more, less or the same as the existing dwelling on your property?

First of all, thanks very much for your replies.

With regards to the properties on either side of your property, what is the setback for each property? ie the distance between the front boundary and the respective properties.

Is this more, less or the same as the existing dwelling on your property?

I'm not sure, from memory they are a bit closer to the front boundary. This is not mine but something I'm considering buying. Being able to build three units would make this block more attractive to me. How would next door properties affect my plans?

why on earth would you think vcat would get involved?

I did call the council and the person who they eventually put me through to told me two units shouldn't be a problem but the council will not support three unit subdivision, so unless I'm prepared to go to VCAT and fight for it I shouldn't bother. I didn't however get the detailed info as you suggested, will call the council again.

...I'm not sure, from memory they are a bit closer to the front boundary. This is not mine but something I'm considering buying. Being able to build three units would make this block more attractive to me. How would next door properties affect my plans?

Obvisouly check with Glen Eira Council, but the wording for Res Zone 1 development states various standards for building and development (Standard A3 & B6)

In a development context, where there is an existing building on both sides of your block, and the site is not on a corner, then setback is the average distance of the setbacks of the front walls of the existing buildings on the abutting allotments facing the front street or 9 metres, whichever is the lesser.

So depending on the setback of the adjoining properties, will influence how far back you can start building from. The closer to the front boundary they are, the better for you (in the development context). So with the the property dimesions being 16.5 x 45.5, the worst case scenario is that 9m from the front boundary cannot be utilised. Or effectively 148.5sqm (9 x 16.5)

Given 750sqm, you will need all the space to build on three. Of course, it depends on what you intend on building as well, their design, how many bedrooms, garages, surrounding streetscape and the nature of the dwellings around you.

So with the the property dimesions being 16.5 x 45.5, the worst case scenario is that 9m from the front boundary cannot be utilised. Or effectively 148.5sqm (9 x 16.5)

Given 750sqm, you will need all the space to build on three. Of course, it depends on what you intend on building as well, their design, how many bedrooms, garages, surrounding streetscape and the nature of the dwellings around you.

Ok. Thank you.

another thing to consider is large parts of bentleigh are unde the minimal change area ie. buildings cant occupy more than 50% of block. What street is this in respect to?

another thing to consider is large parts of bentleigh are unde the minimal change area ie. buildings cant occupy more than 50% of block. What street is this in respect to?

Sorry, not prepared to disclose the street name yet, maybe after the auction :)

Back