How Much Do You pay for Conveyancing

How much do you pay for resi conveyancing for purchase excluding disbursements/GST

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would like to ask for some feedback on what you currently pay for conveyancing. I tried to get a poll up and running but I am not sure how to do that.

Could you please let me know:
Price paid excluding disbursements excluding GST
Solicitor or Conveyancer
State
Strata/Torrens
Sale/purchase
Residential/commercial

Thanks for your help.

Last two purchases were through the same solicitor in Canberra who charged $1000 incl GST each time.

Was very unhappy with their service. At our first meeting, instead of looking at us while talking, he was looking out the window the entire time. I had to chase them for everything and even had to correct disbursement calculations as he stuffed up. At settlement my keys were given to an unrelated third party who I had to track down myself.

I've used the same company (not same solicitor) on many occasions prior to this so gave them the benefit of the doubt on the first of these two occasions. But wont be using them again.

In Melbourne I just paid $395 inc GST (ex Disbursements) for a Lawyer who ended up being a one man band and was a terrible experience overall, although the job got done in the end. Won't be using him again, wanted to give him a shot as all his initial feedback + website looked great.

I also use another law firm and they charge $520 inc GST (ex Disbursements) and are very good - never had an issue with them so will be using them from now on (again).

I used one conveyancer in Melbourne that was under $500 5 years ago and that was an okay experience, but never used them again as they were unprofessional in their contact and follow up and had ongoing spelling mistakes :rolleyes: in their paperwork.

Found another conveyancer in Melbourne who was very good for one purchase, but was "dodgy" in a subsequent purchase & not using them again. Not making payments & had to complain to the relevant state body. They charged $850-900 not including extras etc. each time.

The interstate one for the recent purchase was a lawyers office and was quite good and professional and hope to use them again. $890 not including extras.

So generally $850-900 less any searches etc.

Terry we have just been through this exercise as part of our restructuring.

In QLD quoted prices seem to range from $600 plus GST plus searches to $1200 plus GST plus searches. Most are around the $900-$1000 plus GST plus searches. Conveyancing Works (being the largest in QLD) comes in at $1120 inc GST plus searches plus they charge extra for settlement.

Most of the cheaper places will charge extra to talk to a solicitor, extend any conditions or settlement etc and their clients end up paying around the $900-$1000 plus GST in professional fees anyway. There will be some instances where it proceeds without a hitch, no extensions, no delays with banks in being able to book etc and the cheap places will actually come in cheap.

Until last Friday under Hui Lawyers we were $900 plus GST plus searches for all purchases for houses,units, land etc. $1200 for off the plan purchase and $1500 for house and land.

But with the transition to our new practice for conveyancing and other consumer type legal work (Certus Legal Group) we have taken a completely different approach and changed to all inclusive pricing based on different packs. Clients often have difficulty working out which searches they need, find the whole thing a bit confusing as to what the total price may be.

Our prices now range from $1100 including GST and searches for a basic purchase to $2200 including GST and searches for a comprehensive pack that a developer might use. Our professional fees vary between the packs and also between different councils but we have decided to make it easy for our clients and just go with a flat fee for each pack.

Our Standard which is based on the QLD Conveyancing protocol comes in at $1800 and yields similar professional fees to what we charged previously.

Attached are rough versions of our price lists and inclusions etc. (prices accurate but layout not completed by graphic artist yet). Hopefully that helps you with your pricing decision. I also have spreadsheets outlining pricing, and extra charges for the top dozen (by volume) conveyancing firms in QLD and am happy to give you those via PM or email.

Attachments

• House Purchase price.pdf
    259.6 KB · Views: 268
  • Unit Purchase price.pdf
    252.7 KB · Views: 120
I pay 1200 plus disbursements for a very good property soli.

I have another soli who is more transactional who is $990 plus disbursements

Gold Coast property solicitor = $550 (have used twice for buying, once for selling)
Melbourne property solicitor = $450 (have used twice for buying)

Last two were $1500 (sell) and $1850 :eek: (buy), plus GST and disbursements on top of that.
Professional solicitors, NSW residential.

First is $990 excluding disbursement. Conveyancer and very good experience. IP in NSW residential.
Second - cost agreement 2 years ago is $1200 excluding disbursement. Paid half 2 years ago and now ended up needing to pay another $1800 more reduced from $4k (??!!) Because they need to deal with bank and releasing bank guarantee (asked 2 years ago dealing with bank suppose to be included). No new cost agreement sent or signed. Change over from conveyancer to solicitor (I didn't ask for it). NSW OTP residential.

Last two were $1500 (sell) and $1850 :eek: (buy), plus GST and disbursements on top of that.
Professional solicitors, NSW residential.

I think they should change to professional thieves for that kind of quantum unless you had some ridiculously complicated affairs.

In answer to the original question, usually I get charged circa $700 for a solicitor conveyance.

I should add that in my first job as a solicitor the firm I worked for charged by the hour. I did a few conveyancing matters with the cheapest being around $3500 one around $5000 and one around $7,500 all standard residential, including disbursements.

I should add that in my first job as a solicitor the firm I worked for charged by the hour. I did a few conveyancing matters with the cheapest being around $3500 one around $5000 and one around $7,500 all standard residential, including disbursements.

For major law firms I can understand but then you're dealing with high networth clients and the legal services would extend beyond the simple conveyance - more like to include advice about structuring / tax etc.

For major law firms I can understand but then you're dealing with high networth clients and the legal services would extend beyond the simple conveyance - more like to include advice about structuring / tax etc.

No structure or tax advice. Some clients were other lawyers but some had average jobs - earning $100k sort of thing. I think i was charged out at $250 per hour so just to attend settlement cost $250.

No structure or tax advice. Some clients were other lawyers but some had average jobs - earning $100k sort of thing. I think i was charged out at $250 per hour so just to attend settlement cost $250.

Well I'd have to say that's daylight robbery then.

0_o I just hope I'm not dealing with the company you worked with. I'm still waiting for the solicitor to call to discuss that exuberant fees.

first - 800inc everything. lawyer
2nd + 3rd - 770 inc each. same guy as above. communication wasnt the best. but didnt have to chase for anything.
4th - 1400inc. conveyencor. dealing with 3 different people. horrible. wont be using again.
all in melbourne.

Back