how much does it cost to get cleaner for IP

How much should i offer to advertise for cleaners to clean up after a renovation?
Basically need a thorough clean up for my 3 bedroom small house in countryside Victoria.

-clear away cobwebs
-wipe interior of window (including window sill)
-wipe surface of old cabinet from dust
-vacuum clean carpet and timber boards,
-mop and clean toilet and shower
-clean kitchen sink and tops
-throw away rubbish left by tradesman
-wash new gate of bird poo

Is $100 too much? too little?

How much should i offer to advertise for cleaners to clean up after a renovation?
Basically need a thorough clean up for my 3 bedroom small house in countryside Victoria.

-clear away cobwebs
-wipe interior of window (including window sill)
-wipe surface of old cabinet from dust
-vacuum clean carpet and timber boards,
-mop and clean toilet and shower
-clean kitchen sink and tops
-throw away rubbish left by tradesman
-wash new gate of bird poo

why not grab your local Melbourne phone book and ring a couple of cleaners (look for ones who advertise builder's cleans or bond cleans) and ask what they would charge. Then go from there.

How many hours do you think it breaks down to? Divide $100 by the hours....

I imagine you would be paying at least $20-25/hr if you can get a sole trader - I think that is damn cheap when you consider out of that money they have to pay their super, holidays, sick days, etc.

I worked as a cleaner for a several weeks and my boss charged $40+/hr per person.

How much you should pay a cleaner is completely up to you. You can find cleaners who charge the bare minimum, and those who charge an arm and a leg in comparison, this is because there are a number of things to take into consideration, and unfortunately most of us don't really know how to weigh up the pros and cons of each.

Below I have listed the most important factors to take in to account when hiring a cleaner, the more boxes you tick here, the better their work will be, the safer you'll feel with them in your home, and chances are you'll pay more for their services.

- Police Clearances Any respectable cleaner will carry this with them, and anyone who does not, doesn't take their business/job/clients seriously and you shouldn't even consider allowing them into your home. Insurance companies are becoming more strict on this as well, in many cases they simply will not cover you if you use cleaners (or any tradespeople) sufficient without clearances.

- Insurances This should also be a given, so make sure it is one of the first questions you ask. It is the cleaners (or their company's) responsibility to ensure they are covered by public liability insurance. As much as you may love the old lady who comes in to clean once a week, you will be held responsible if your 200kg television drops on her foot. An accident like that severely outweighs the $15/wk you pay for her to come in, and they do happen regularly.

- Chemicals A cleaner (or company) who is serious about their work, will be using their own high grade chemicals, not your super market purchases. Professional cleaners will generally use a great deal more chemicals to get a job done properly. It is faster and gives you a better result therefore, cleaners should also be using environmentally friendly chemicals where possible. Any cleaner who tells you they don't use them because they don't work as well, simply doesn't know their industry well enough and is lying to you.

- Image How do they look when they arrive at your door? A company serious about their image, ethics and workmanship will ensure employees are uniformed, have a company van and all the supplies they will need for the job. The company should also have an easily accessible website with all their details on there.

- Testimonials & References This is be a sure-fire way of finding out more about the company, through the customers eyes. Ask whether they can supply you with testimonials of past clients, either in writing or on their website. If they can't, keep looking.

- Experience This is a tough one. A company may have been around for ten years and can say they have ten years experience, yet their employees are different every month because they are not experienced at all. Make sure you speak to someone who knows their stuff.

- Individuals or Teams depending on the size of your home (job), the company may choose to send out an individual cleaner or a team of two. If you are given the choice, hire the team - they will get the job done in a fraction of the time and be out of your way. They are generally more expensive, but their work will be impeccable.

- Quoting & Billing This is an interesting one also. Many companies bill per hour, others bill per room, and others bill per job. All of these are viable billing methods, but because of the nature of the industry, you are best off choosing a company that bills per job because you won't be wondering why it can take two hours one week and three hours the next, and if you only make $20/hr, they will often drag it out an extra 30 minutes just to make more themselves.

Ultimately, people will choose cleaners for different reasons, but hopefully this list will help you to choose a cleaner who is right for the job, and right for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back