How much does paint cost?

Hi Alll

Quick question - how much a liter of paint (for woodwork) cost? Say a brand like Tuburmans or the other good brands?

thanks
Mona

500ml and 1 litre are the most expensive way to buy paint.
I think its about $20/l to buy it this way for a good quality brand.

Mitre 10 have a range called Accent - usually a bit cheaper (bit like homebrand). Its exactly the same as British Paints - made in the same factory.

I painted my house last week - breakdown of costs (this is the full price, not the price I paid :p)

121sqm house

3 x 6 litres of ceiling paint Accent (2 coats throughout) $52.99ea

4 x 6 litres of interior low sheen Accent (2 coats) $57.50 ea

1 x 4 litres Wattyl ID Low Sheen $69.99 (2 coats feature wall)

My walls were thirsty as I was painting over textured paint (i did sand first) - yours may not use as much.

Also bought brushes, rollers and tape

Brush 50mm - $7.95
Roller kit $19.99
Painters tape $7.95
Extension pole (to paint the ceiling) $12.95

Yesterday I went to Bunnings and bought 60 500ml tins of white acrylic indoor paint, they are test pots, cost $1 per tin.

Cheapest paint I have ever bought, plus great storage tins afterwards.

I am using them to lighten up a 20lt tin of mis tinted deep cream that I bought ages ago for $80. So I will have 50lt of just the right shade for $130, enough to do the whole interior walls of the house.

I am about to go back and buy more to use for the cielings.

Yesterday I went to Bunnings and bought 60 500ml tins of white acrylic indoor paint, they are test pots, cost $1 per tin.

Keep in mind that whilst a 500ml sample pot is great value, the paint is totally useless quality. It's okay to thin down other paints, but only to a point. I certainly wouldn't want to paint a room with them. I worked for Bunnings in the paint section many years ago whilst at Uni. We didn't have much sympathy for complaints of a lousy result when painting with sample pots.

Ecconomies of scale work very well in paint, regardless of brand. The larger the tin, the less you pay overall.

Last edited:

Cheapest paint I have ever bought, plus great storage tins afterwards.

I am using them to lighten up a 20lt tin of mis tinted deep cream that I bought ages ago for $80. So I will have 50lt of just the right shade for $130, enough to do the whole interior walls of the house.

I am about to go back and buy more to use for the cielings.

Why didn't you just buy the tint? A lot cheaper than $130.
Edit. Just saw that each was 500ml. So good value.

Just grabbed a 6L Dulux wash & wear for $70 from Bunnings...previously grabbed the same colour in a 10L bucket from Dulux Trade with an ANZ Dulux Trade discount card ~$136...wtf? I'll try find the receipt and edit the post but im sure it was ~$135.

Ceiling paint:
$29.98 Taubmans 6L Paint Ceiling White Super Flat
or
$70.33 4L Dulux Nevermiss Ceiling White

Thoughts? Its for PPOR, prices are from Bunnings, need about 10-14L

6L tubs seem to be best bang for buck..

You don't need Nevermiss- the regular Dulux Ceiling White is fine. It looks wet when it is wet so easy to see where you've been.

But $30 for 6L of Taubman's is a bargain- I'd buy that I think!

Back