How much money do you need to retire?

I hope you don't do it! Oh my goodness, I don't care if people want to live tight, have no life etc., that's their business. But when they start to use people and become selfish that's when it angers me (have seen a few examples of this in my life), and as for the woman above, I'd tell her where to go. It's ok for you to pay to run a car, but this woman who could afford a personal chauffeur wants you to pay for her transport... :confused: :mad:

maybe what she wants is attention and companionship from family members. Just speaking from my experience so far with elderly family.:)

I hope you don't do it! Oh my goodness, I don't care if people want to live tight, have no life etc., that's their business. But when they start to use people and become selfish that's when it angers me (have seen a few examples of this in my life), and as for the woman above, I'd tell her where to go. It's ok for you to pay to run a car, but this woman who could afford a personal chauffeur wants you to pay for her transport... :confused: :mad:

These people actually scammed my parents and the people who gave my son the secondhand baby clothes.

The other couple don't have anything to do with them anymore.

The wife goes to visit my mother and aunt regularly, but only when someone visits (she checks) so she can get a lift. When she can't get a lift home, she then rings elsewhere and walks there because they either have guests that could drop her off or because someone then volunteers to do so. All to save $1.20. It's pretty sad really.

This woman lives in one of Adelaides most expensive and desirable suburbs, and until last year, owned 2 other houses in the same street that she lives in :rolleyes:.

Hi travelbug.

I noticed hubbys motorbike stays, did you find out what bike it is ;)

Regards
Marty

P.S Enjoy that trip

Hi. That wouldn't even be up for discussion. It's a XJR 1300 Yamaha. He did consider changing to a BMW recently but changed his mind. He does leisure rides and we go for a ride on the weekend sometimes and have brunch or the like.

I think there's a big difference between what you CAN live off and what you WANT to live off. I figure I am living more simply now than I otherwise would because I'm delaying gratification.

That's true but I'm not living simply now. I go overseas 4 times a year and buy whatever I want. The thing is I'm not into buying stuff I don't need so I actually spend very little. We have no dependents (unless you count a 22year old son who drops by and empties the cupboard and fridge and borrows money regularly). Sure I'd like $100K a year to retire on but I know I wouldn't spend that much. So I dont' NEED it.

Some expenses will decrease but if I'm not working I know I will want to travel even more but staff travel is great. I don't think I'll fully retire though. I love teaching and will always do casual work. And I'll increase my charity work and donations depending on income.

School holidays. Yeehah. Better book my flight for Sunday. Bali here I come.

I have no desire to wait until I'm old and wrinkly before I start enjoying the "retirement" lifestyle. What's the point in working like a dog to pay off your house or IPs when you are in the prime of your life so you can "enjoy" retirement when you're old.

I intend to spend 6 months every year backpacking somewhere and the other 6 months working while I am young enough to enjoy it. No point going overseas when you are too old and wrinkly to have any fun.

I can afford to life the lifestyle I want to now so I'm going to do just that. When I'm old I intend to roam around Australia and just do contract work or live overseas in a cheap country. Have no need for my own house or 3 cars or whatever. The nomadic, hippy lifestyle appeals to me a lot more than material wealth.

Back