How much of a cleanup improves valuation?

I was wondering how much effort I should put in.
It's too close to the holidays to put it too much effort.

Anything I should do, and doesn't need to be done?

You haven't given much to go on. Are you talking about your PPOR and you want to know if you should do the housework this close to Christmas?:confused: Or are you talking about a dump that you have bought and it has truckloads of rubbish that needs to be removed? Or are we somewhere inbetween?

Most important thing is for you to put the price you want into the valuers mind. He may not agree but if it is close to his "window" then chances are you will get it.

A professional valuer will be looking mostly at comparable sales in the area. He may well not even visit the property at all.

He wont be too concerned to see the front path swept or the kitchen smelling of fresh coffee :)

As for buyers, it certainly helps.

We had a relative who died and on selling his house, we got an over-the-counter (pub counter) valuation from a local agent, which was 'wouldn't give you $100K for it in its current condition'.

The grounds were overgrown with weeds and other plants, you could put your hand in a kitchen cupboard and end up wrist-deep in cockroach mess, bathroom needed a good scrub, other cupboards were full of ltrs received several years ago (nothing was ever thrown out).

A few weekends with a chainsaw, mower, rubbish skip and the same agent bought it for $160K a month later.

Just did a quick spruce up of my Hoppers Crossing house bought in 2006 for 170k.

I did only things which would add value:

1. Paint inside - $2070
2. Polish floors - $2000
3. Lino for Laundry - $500
4. New kitchen benchtop - $600
5. Other odd and sods (garden, chipped tiles, light fittings, etc.) - $900

Spend a total of $6070.

The price of the house increased from 240k to 260k-270K and the rent went from $230pw to $270pw.

I was wondering how much effort I should put in.
It's too close to the holidays to put it too much effort.

Anything I should do, and doesn't need to be done?

Back