How much should a depreciation schedule cost?

I'm looking to book a quality surveyor to do a depreciation schedule on my 3 year old house next month and found a company called BMT Tax Depreciation.

They say they are required to conduct a site inspection for the reports which takes 30 minutes. They have a standard fee for the reports on residential properties nationwide for $770 which is 100% tax deductible.

Is this fee reasonable?

Can anyone recommend any other good depreciation companies in Melbourne?

Thanks!
Sue

Used them for my property in NSW - the price is about that much.
The report gives $3K depreciation per year for a 40 years old house, so while I can't say whether it's expensive or not (only done this once), it's well worth the cost.

I think BMT are very good, doubt you would get any better, you may get a little cheaper using actual costs, but something may be missed that could cost you, your one off saving, every year.

That's a good price Norwoodman! Who was that through?

My last one was through Washington Brown and cost $600 incl gst for a 60yr old unit.. Claiming a bit over $3k/year.

Sydney-based depreciator.com.au did a rippin' job for a 66sqm 2 bed apartment recently without a site visit - I just supplied photos of everything + video walkthrough. I think their usual schedule cost is comparable to other companies, but I must emphasise, they did a GREAT job.

Apartment built in late 60s. Nothing special or particularly new inside. Over $3k of depreciation for first year. Way more than expected.

They have a referral program, but you wouldn't take my word if I was trying to score myself a $40 reward so I'll refrain. I do encourage you to make contact though.

The guy I use in Perth is $545 for resi and $645 for commercial.

Several people from SSF have used him and the feedback has been positive.

Details are;

Kevin Pollock
Free Phone:1300 887 220
Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
BMT are my preferred provider for my clients based on their typical pricing and service standards. I find them professional, accurate and more. Not cheap (I question the quality of any cheap report) and not over priced either. They are registered with tax practitioners board and find them very knowledgable. Ditto depreciator and others too.

Desktop reports in my opinion miss a bit especially with common property and maxing depreciation of eligible plant. I wouldnt touch a desktop report for a major city property. Its a sign of someone taking shortcuts if they suggest they can do a quality job from their office (home office ?). The post above didnt address "common property" I bet. I havent found a doctor that works well to diagnose a issue from a remote location and when I do I will change my mind.

One thing that appeals to me is BMT have a fee guarantee that means they will reduce their fee if they cant find deductions that give tax deductions.

My latest client who used BMT for a Canberra unit paid around this price and was able to backdate two years deductions + current year worth total $12,800 and expects annual $3,600 each year going forward....Thats great value.

The rate my clients pay is discounted from the $770 quoted. They send report to client and copy to me also.

Sydney-based depreciator.com.au did a rippin' job for a 66sqm 2 bed apartment recently without a site visit - I just supplied photos of everything + video walkthrough. I think their usual schedule cost is comparable to other companies, but I must emphasise, they did a GREAT job.
Scott (Depreciator) is a member of this forum. I haven't needed depreciation reports for a long time, but I've heard excellent reports.

Best to use are:
- BMT
- Depreciators (my fav)
- Washington Brown

Prices are about $750, however if you have some rapport with them it comes down to about $630? from memory.

If the house is out 'rural' it usually costs $100 more (eg. central coast from Sydney).

If you do the leg work for them and send the info over it is about $330 ish. I wouldn't do that as they are pro and may pick up some things I would otherwise have missed. It's a small up-front expense IMO for a relatively larger long term gain.

Yep, another Scott (Depreciator) fan.

Email or message him on here. He does a good price for Somersoft people.

He's done all of mine. Very happy!:D

Thanks for the kind words.
Scott's in Rome right now, but the gang are toiling away at the office. (Well, not if it's Saturday, but you know what I mean.)
Mention you're from Somersoft and you'll get a discount.
They will quiz you on the property - age etc - to work out the best way to tackle the job.
Most of the big companies have a guarantee.
If you're paying for an inspection, make sure a QS does it. Lots of companies out there use data collectors to gather information for someone else to cost up. Nothing wrong with that, but I reckon if a data collector is doing the inspection, the price should be around $400.
Ciao,
Scott.

Back