How much should i authorize agent to undertake urgent repairs?

How much should i authorize agent to undertake urgent repairs? $1800 or $1000?

Can i make a condition state that;-
If a repair is urgent and tenant / agent are not getting a prompt response from landlord, tenant / agent can authorise the repair for up to $1800.

If a repair is urgent and tenant / agent are not getting a prompt response from landlord, tenant / agent can authorise the repair for up to $1800.

Both seem like large amounts to me! I will check more PM contract when I get home tonight but am sure mine is closer to $100-200.

Regards,

Jason

Wow! That's a lot of money to trust someone else to spend on your behalf without your knowledge. I typically say $250 is the limit - anything over that I get involved.

The PMs usually give me a call as a courtesy even if its less than $250.

Unfortunately you dont have a choice! The Act states that the tenant can spend up to $1800 for urgent repairs which also by default means your agent can also spend the same amount. It used to be $1000 however was increased to $1800 as of 1st September 2011.

I cant speak for all agents, however if i have an urgent repair that i need to attend to, i will always try to contact the owner, however if i cannot get in touch with them straight away i will go ahead and arrange the repairs without authorisation. This ultimately protects the owner against any compensation claims from the tenant and also ensures that the tradesperson engaged to conduct the repairs is known and trusted by us rather than the tenant organising dodgy brothers plumber to replace the hot water system when all it needed was a new valve :)

There is a difference between urgent and non urgent repairs, while you dont have a choice regarding urgent repairs you may choose to allow the PM a spending limit of 'x' to carry our non urgent repairs without approval ($250 is a reasonable amount) or you may wish to be contacted for any and all non urgent maintenance. Either option should be acceptable to the PM

Unfortunately you dont have a choice! The Act states that the tenant can spend up to $1800 for urgent repairs which also by default means your agent can also spend the same amount. It used to be $1000 however was increased to $1800 as of 1st September 2011.

I cant speak for all agents, however if i have an urgent repair that i need to attend to, i will always try to contact the owner, however if i cannot get in touch with them straight away i will go ahead and arrange the repairs without authorisation. This ultimately protects the owner against any compensation claims from the tenant and also ensures that the tradesperson engaged to conduct the repairs is known and trusted by us rather than the tenant organising dodgy brothers plumber to replace the hot water system when all it needed was a new valve :)

There is a difference between urgent and non urgent repairs, while you dont have a choice regarding urgent repairs you may choose to allow the PM a spending limit of 'x' to carry our non urgent repairs without approval ($250 is a reasonable amount) or you may wish to be contacted for any and all non urgent maintenance. Either option should be acceptable to the PM

Thanks Goofy,

Can i ask agent to add a condition on the lease agreement that i wish to be contacted before they spend any money for maintenance.

You certainly can make you limit $0 for non-urgent repairs ... and I recommend this myself.

You shouldn't need to "add" anything to the contract as there should be a section this issue where you just insert the figure amount.

Both seem like large amounts to me! I will check more PM contract when I get home tonight but am sure mine is closer to $100-200.

Regards,

Jason
Agree with Jason - they seem extremely high. Ideally you'd want the PM to consult you about any work that's costing you money. I think ours is set at $200 as well.

Cheers

Jamie

I think Goofy has it right.

Hmmmm My fear is that the way the contract could be worded means the agents would disgregard any difference between "urgent / non urgent repairs "and just read it as "all repairs can be done without approval"

I'd personally check the wording on my paperwork first.

Hmmmm My fear is that the way the contract could be worded means the agents would disgregard any difference between "urgent / non urgent repairs "and just read it as "all repairs can be done without approval"

I'd personally check the wording on my paperwork first.

The Managing Authority and the lease agreements specifically states "URGENT" repairs.

Non- urgent repair instructions are generally advised on the Landlords Instructions form which all agents should get off their owners (it will advise things such as bank account details, emergency contacts, preferred tradespeople, and spend limit for non urgent repairs)

You can add any clause you like to the contract, however if it contravenes the RTA then it is invalid and non enforceable anyway

The Managing Authority and the lease agreements specifically states "URGENT" repairs.

Non- urgent repair instructions are generally advised on the Landlords Instructions form which all agents should get off their owners (it will advise things such as bank account details, emergency contacts, preferred tradespeople, and spend limit for non urgent repairs)

You can add any clause you like to the contract, however if it contravenes the RTA then it is invalid and non enforceable anyway

Did I suggest changing or adding anything to the contract ?

I meant to only suggest that I personally would fear that a PM might take my Ok for uthem to do urgent repairs wihtout my approval, to means that they can authorise non urgent repairs wihtout my authorisation.

Did I suggest changing or adding anything to the contract ?

no you didnt, that comment was in regards to

"Hmmmm My fear is that the way the contract could be worded means the agents would disgregard any difference between "urgent / non urgent repairs "and just read it as "all repairs can be done without approval" "

As Goofy said, the amount for Victoria was recently increased to $1,800 for urgent repairs.

Urgent repairs include hot water, anything used for cooking, securing the property, no heating etc.

Any good agent should (unless you've otherwise informed) contact you in regards to any repairs. Depending on the time of day, if I have an urgent repair and cannot contact the landlord within 1 hour I will give the go ahead for urgent repairs only. Non-urgent repairs have up to 14 days to act, most of my landlords have given me authorisation to conduct repairs up to $250 for anything non-urgent if they cannot be contacted.

As Goofy said, the amount for Victoria was recently increased to $1,800 for urgent repairs.

Urgent repairs include hot water, anything used for cooking, securing the property, no heating etc.

Any good agent should (unless you've otherwise informed) contact you in regards to any repairs. Depending on the time of day, if I have an urgent repair and cannot contact the landlord within 1 hour I will give the go ahead for urgent repairs only. Non-urgent repairs have up to 14 days to act, most of my landlords have given me authorisation to conduct repairs up to $250 for anything non-urgent if they cannot be contacted.

OK to try & clarify, I should have said - My concern would be that the agent won't contact me on urgent repairs and just do them.. even if I had not "otherwise informed them".

Probably not much you can do about that though

No in Australia ovens are considered part and parcel of the kitchen. Just as well- fitting fridges in rentals with small kitchens is enough of a concern!

Jaycee, remember you are the agents client. Without you they dont have a business. From my observations, we have clients in structions that range from, dont do anything without my express approval, to only come to me if the place is burning down. All works well, untill hoildays or illness etc, and some one else has to step in. Thats where clear and open discussions with your PM, can then be logged onto their system, for the fill in person to follow. With new federal employment laws now effecting all agencies, after hours calls, as well as while your PM is on leave etc, "murphy" will ensure that things occur at the most inconvenient time. Remember, there is a difference between an emergency repair, and an inconvenient repair. The former, the PM must deal with in a resonable time, and will have to make the call if they cannot contact you. The latter is a different matter, and should be part of your discussions. Talk to your PM. Tenants biggest complaints is the time to take to have repairs done. If you tie your PM to only do things you approve, and you are out of reach for a while ... will the tenant then see you in a bad light. Good PM's have the LL's interests at heart, however know when to take control to stop something turning sour.

Back