How much to install 2 split system A/C units?

Hi

Our tenant has asked for us to install a/c. She's a good tenant (PM says she's fantastic, yada yada) so I don't have a problem putting it in, while at the same time getting her to sign up for another 12 months at a higher rent.

(A one month vacancy would be over $2k, and given last summer in Melbourne I wouldn't blame her for moving out if I don't do it!)

What should I expect to pay someone to install 2 split system air con units? It's a brick veneer single storey house with easy access to the installation points, although running power to the units would seem to me to be the biggest challenge - presumably they need to go straight to the board?

It seems like the units start at about $800ish and go up to $2-3k. For an IP would you normally just go for the cheaper units?

Cheers
Jonathon

I would recommend getting a system with a 5 year warranty. We bought one with a 12 month warranty and it is playing up after 2 years. False economy!
Marg

Depends if you want an inverter one or not. They are dearer.

We just bought one (non inverter) 1 3/4hp for $550 which was cheap. It was normally $699 reduced to $599 but we bargained.
That was at Bing Lee. They had the best prices from places we looked (Harvey Norman, Good Guys)

The reason we went with the cheaper one is because it's just a cheap house. If it was a more expensive house I would go the inverter (they were double the price). Instillation was about $500 I think.

I was told by agents to get a decent brand. Apparently with the cheap brand ones they make say a 1,000 and ship them out. Then they make new ones. So you can't get parts.

I just had two companies out to quote on supply and installing 2 5kw inverter Mitsubishi Electric units plus one 3.5kw unit. The total price was $6500

The second quote was for a carrier brand and for two 6kw units (non inverter) the price was $4500.

I found while researching that a lot of places have a clause with the warranty that says you have to use them to service your units yearly at a cost of $100 each. So to me that added another $1500 to the cost over 5 years.

aircon

Hi Jonathon
I have just had supplied and installed 2x Daikin Inverter 5kw split system with 5 year warranty for total of $4906.00 in our 2bed Duplex (Both units).Both tennants were happy to have a rent rise from $155/week to $185/week.
Cheers Damian:)

Hi Jonathon
I have just had supplied and installed 2x Daikin Inverter 5kw split system with 5 year warranty for total of $4906.00 in our 2bed Duplex (Both units).Both tennants were happy to have a rent rise from $155/week to $185/week.
Cheers Damian:)

$1,560 a year rent increase is good going! I was only thnking on increasing my tenant's rent by $10 a week.

Thanks for the other replies, all useful info.

Cheers
Jonathon

2 x 5kw inverter (mitsi electric, fujitsu, daikin)wall mounted splits should not cost you any more than $4000 installed, otherwise they are tearing you a new one!

6kW should roughly be around $2400-$2600

Big Tone

I bought a Kelvinator invertor 7 kilowatt system for $1150 cost to install was $650 . The warrenty says if it is installed by a certified installer, (which most of them are) then your warrenty is 5 years.

Stay away from the no name brands as their warranties can be almost worthless. Also, there are good and crap installers. Picking the wrong installer can be real bad news for the performance and longevity of your AC.

Daikin and Mitsubishi are the better brands in my view . Kelvinator has the best warranty backup.

As others have said stay away from cheaper no name units.

cost to install a single split very close to the power board in a queenslander $500

cost to install a single split in a concrete unit with 2 foot think walls $750

Mitsubishi or Kelvinator

Hi Guys

Need some opinions please

I have to install an aircon, at Frankston.

Choices boil down to either

1. 5kw Kelvinator split system (Inverter) $1750 fully installed

2. 5kw Mitsubishi split system (Inverter) $2200 fully installed

Are these prices within the norm, and whats better the Kelvinator or Mitsubishi???

Thanks in Advance

Hi Guys

Need some opinions please

I have to install an aircon, at Frankston.

Choices boil down to either

1. 5kw Kelvinator split system (Inverter) $1750 fully installed

2. 5kw Mitsubishi split system (Inverter) $2200 fully installed

Are these prices within the norm, and whats better the Kelvinator or Mitsubishi???

Thanks in Advance

Out of those two choices.... Mitsubishi

Personally as a qualified person I prefer Daikin and have used them in all my houses.

Regards

Regrow

Back