How not to get burnt investing in someone else's property development

Acey suggested this topic might be timely for a new thread....

[Another good thread Acey might be 'what happened to the Merlin IPO?' ;) ]

I'll repost what I wrote in that other thread at the end, and pad it out a bit with some background below.....

a good friend of 10 years who has leant me money and vice versa several times over that period started a property company in Brisbane in 2001. They hit on a couple of gold mine opportunities, one in particular in 2002....everyone was after it...600 acres 25km north of Bris cbd.....lendlease delfin, stocklands, devine, dennis family from Melbourne, AV Jennings, Mirvac, Peat and Co from Perth, etc etc..... it was a farm across the road from a new lendlease delfin planned community that broke a lot of sales records....
anyway, the two old bachelor farmer owners took a shine to my friend and sold it to her, rather than the stiffs in suits...... she had done alright in a couple of earlier deals buying property on the Brisbane River in West End, flicking them for quick profits but still needed to borrow for the deposit. A long settlement was negotiated, and after a few weeks, she had bought the land for $22 million. Within 2 months she was made 3 offers over $35million. About 12 months ago she entered a JV. The offers still come in. The last was $80 million.

That was a springboard to go on a buying spree. The boom hadn't hit Bris full on yet. So over the next 18 months, several distressed half completed projects were bought, as well as some blue chip properties- cleveland point, Brisbane River sites at west end, south brisbane, and on and on. Even two 600 acre+ coastal sites fronting Hervey Bay...land bank stuff for retiring baby bomers....

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I trusted her. I was lending significant money from the beginning unsecured. I just thought that there was no way they could get into trouble with an $80 million piece of dirt behind them.

As it turns out, they have not had DAs approved as quickly as they would like, plus they have grown rapidly and have high operating costs....a freshly renovated office, expensive consultants etc etc.

But the thing that hurt them most is that they had borrowed from private investors at seed capital rates 50%-120% pa. They had intended to retire these loans with new institutional loans once they got their prospectus released at the beginning of the year. However, the beginning of the year saw reduced sentiment for property. Getting institutions to take an interest wasn't as easy as had been planned. Nevertheless, operating and holding costs were ongoing. More high interest private loans had to be taken. Although now the lenders weren't that naive. They are financiers who insist on security. So now we have a situation where the equity of this company has been eroded dramatically through 12 months of continuing high interest borrowing. Some of the properties are on the market. And the original private investors, me being one, have been told prospectus loans will be forthcoming any week now, which will allow original investors to be paid out.

Meanwhile, creditors and secured lenders have been screwed around, and litigation is mounting. The credit rating of the company has been damaged. The directors are spending more time and money in court than getting projects finished, in addition to explaining all the ASIC alerts appearing against their string of companies.

To try and get to the bottom of what is happening is one of the most frustrating things I have ever been through. This woman is/was a good friend, and yet fear, delusions of grandeur, and a stubborn will are distorting her judgement, or are they? I have been trying to get my money back for 5 months, and keep getting a new excuse. I know some of the excuses are real though. The frustrating thing is that I know she is paying out people who can damage the company name. I have yet to threaten that. And with every week that passes, I am faced with the point that their equity is eroded a bit more.

My loan only has a personal guarantee, but there is significant property holdings within the directors' names. Though if they were wound up, it would all probably go into the holding company pool.

You are probably all thinking that she is no friend if she is jerking me around like this. I have considered my options:
- get litigous and send a letter of demand against the personal guarantee, while there is still reasonable equity.
- hold my breath and let them trade out of it with the loans they say are coming.
- forget talking to lawyers, and just threaten to go to the media with other investors to complain about their behaviour. (there is around $15 million of private investor money in the company.)

Last week's drama was a Supreme Court appearance to quash an underworld figure (it turns out) who my friend jerked around on a short term loan. The legals are consuming the cash flow. And the underworld guy is now up to all sorts of erosive dirty tricks, as the court ruled against him.

I have spoken to media friends and am now seriously considering the legal angle. However, if the company is damaged further, and they go down, a lot of people are going to get hurt. It truly is a moral dilemma. It is difficult to know which way to go. But the behaviour of my friend has disappointed me beyond all belief. I shall never trust her again. And will finish with her if/when I get my money back....

Funnily enough, I was also approached by another developer who was trying to develop a block of land held by a liquidated developer called Iezzi Constructions. This company had been around for 30 odd years, and went down in June this year. The founder, an ageing Italian, had found a new young girlfriend with expensive tastes. And the guy's sons' property acumen amounted to an interest in Gold Coast beach penthouses, maseratis, ferraris, and porsches. No wonder this 30 year old company went bust.

Anyway, this is another story that I didn't get burnt on, but learnt a few tricks to protect myself from. To be continued.

original post.........

I currently have money invested with a reasonably new startup, established by a good friend. And they are having difficulties.

Keep these things in mind:
- no matter how honest the developer, ignorance, the unexpected, and market forces can still get them into positions where your money is placed at extreme risk.
- as others said above, institutional lending is generally available for non marginal projects. I have heard some lenders are prepared to lend all construction money based on 30% presales in some locations.
- seed capital interest rates can be 5-10% per month, mezz finance can be 20% pa. THat is a lot of interest to be paying if the market turns significantly.

- my final word to you, and my most profound, is to NEVER EVER lend money unsecured. The banks don't do it, and neither should you. Anyone who approaches you to borrow, without offering you security, does not respect you. You must do you research and find out the details of the mortgages on the property, the current valuations, and write into your contract that no further borrowing can be taken out against the property you use as security. Always get a good solicitor to review the loan agreement.

If the developer is liquidated, the administrators pull hefty fees, then the first lender, secured creditors etc. If the property market has softened a little, there will be little left for a second mortgage lender. The administrators are happy to let the property go as quickly as they can. THey don't care about getting market value. They just want a quick resolution.

You should also ask for a personal guarantee, though many developers keep their asses covered.

Remember, developers are a dime a dozen. There are more opportunities out there to get burnt then to make a buck, from developers trying to borrow privately.

Most are not good at all disciplines- financials, council negotiations, legals, marketing, and project management. All these areas can sink a project.

Wow !

WOW,

A really interesting and insightful read... Thanks for sharing that !!!

I hope you do get your money back..... I obviously don't know you or your friend so will keep my comments on the friendship to myself.....

Thanks again....

Scott

Thanks TheFirstBruce :)

Merlin review will come once the situation is resolved. But the fat lady isn't near singing at this stage.

I did have a large hand in picking the people involved & are quite satisfied with how they've handled the challenges thrown at them (some pretty major ones).

I share Warren Buffett's views on the value of having good people.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Yes Acey, at the end of the day, companies are illusions. There is only people, their values, and the relationships they form with others.

Scott, I have learnt a valuable lesson re friendship. No matter how good a friend's intent or their experience, they cannot control the future. And how they behave under duress is sometimes quite different to what even an old friend might expect.

thefirstbruce said:
Yes Acey, at the end of the day, companies are illusions. There is only people, their values, and the relationships they form with others.

Very true and extremely well articulated.

thefirstbruce said:
You are probably all thinking that she is no friend if she is jerking me around like this. I have considered my options:
- get litigous and send a letter of demand against the personal guarantee, while there is still reasonable equity.
- hold my breath and let them trade out of it with the loans they say are coming.
- forget talking to lawyers, and just threaten to go to the media with other investors to complain about their behaviour. (there is around $15 million of private investor money in the company.)

I have spoken to media friends and am now seriously considering the legal angle. However, if the company is damaged further, and they go down, a lot of people are going to get hurt. It truly is a moral dilemma. It is difficult to know which way to go. But the behaviour of my friend has disappointed me beyond all belief. I shall never trust her again. And will finish with her if/when I get my money back....

Hi thefirstbruce

What a dilemma, thank-you very much for sharing this with the forum, we can all learn a lot. You didnt specifically ask for opinions (i think)...but I will give mine anyway :)

Although this is a difficult decision, and it would probably depend on the sum of money involved, I would probably consider the legal angle and serve a letter of demand whilst there is still equity available. Your other option is to effectively wait and hope and/or accept the loss. Even though this action may or may not trigger the downward spiral and mean that a lot of other people lose there money, from reading your summary, I believe that this may be the foregone conclusion in any case, it is just a matter of time until this company runs out of money and is completely liquidated. Hopefully this does not happen of course, but I would be taking whatever steps you can to either legally and/or appealing to your friend morally that she returns your money as a matter of priority.

I hope that it all turns out Thefirstbruce and I look forward to hearing how you get on with this.

Kind regards

Corsa

I hesitated to mention names, as I didn't want to damage the company...These forums are after all public places.

However, i have already spoken with investigative journalists at the Courier-Mail. There are several stories within the story that they are interested in. one being the supreme court fiasco, another being the Brisbane City Council outrightly rejecting one of the DAs, without allowng a consultation process. I have mentioned the company in previous posts. Maybe I'll leave it at that.

Further, I know there is some truth in institutional lending being 'potentially' forthcoming. We are talking $50million advances. So it is still not dead in the water. But I am coming down on Corsa's side, to issue a letter of demand. I have been planning a visit to a solicitor every week, for the last 5 weeks, but when I meditate on it, I keep getting this feeling to wait a little bit more. It is hard sometimes to distinguish intuition from paralysis and emotion when it comes to business and money. And the amount of money I am risking here is now over $200,000.

thefirstbruce said:
Further, I know there is some truth in institutional lending being 'potentially' forthcoming. We are talking $50million advances. So it is still not dead in the water.

Yeah, I got the news letter about the $50M too... must to admit I don't feel very confortable but, can't do nothing but wait. My contract date isn't up yet. Some of my friends are in the same position you are. I just hope that this lesson won't be very dear to me though, my position is not as big as yours is.

Thank you for the info,

James.

great lessons

That's quite a saga and a frustrating dilemma, Bruce. But thank's for posting the story. I hope you get a satisfactory, if not happy ending.

In the situation we're in right now, the lessons in this story apply to small deals too like "off-the-plan". Although it's a much more constrained solution, Acey's comment about development companies just being illusions is so true. It's just people, their values and the relationships they form. I'm reminded to go off and do a little extra research before we buy.

Jireh

TheFirstBruce,

THANK YOU for sharing this story - it is very timely. I have to say the greatest lesson in this for me, is really about securing your money if you invest. I know at the moment myself and a few others are contemplating putting up some relatively serious money (well, amounts up to $100k anyway) into a company that is into multiple projects but is relying on providing mezzanine finance in order to make money and payments back to the investors who are currently contributing.

In my case (and others) analysing the risk is really difficult due to lack of knowledge, of course the returns are what is convincing everyone to invest.

Perhaps someone here could help a novice like myself with a question - if you were investing with a company by providing funds with which they were going to use to provide as mezzanine finance to other investors or developers, what sort of security would you normally expect, or would be reasonable to ask for. Just say you were considering putting in between $50-100k for say anywhere between 6-12 months, with a suggestion of getting back your capital plus a return of 40-100% ????

Just some basic ideas on contract stipulations, or how you would possibly look at legally attempting to securing that would be very helpful. (for example personal guarantee??)

Cheers and Thanks,

Tim

quintets said:
Acey's comment about development companies just being illusions is so true. It's just people, their values and the relationships they form. I'm reminded to go off and do a little extra research before we buy.

Jireh

A quick correction. That excellent quote was from the TheFirstBruce.

hi TFB,

thanks for reviving this thread - I've been wondering what had happened to you, and what the end washup was.

Please keep us informed when you can.

Thanks the First Bruce.

As a Moderator I wish we could force all SS users to read this thread. We can't. That's democracy.

But your story demonstraates how all investment runs must come to an end and in simple terms, It can be game of pass the parcel, with you left holding it at the end.

As many know, I am a fully outed property bear at the moment. This is partly ecomy and rate cyles and partly my first hand experience of working with and for developers when times go bad!

It aint pretty. :rolleyes:

Some of these people have no morales, ethics or honesty.

I have seem them placate an irate builder owed heap of progress payments by writing a cheque , signing it, and then "oh, the other director is out for lunch and he has to sign it too". How about I put it in the mail for you ?mate. :D

Builder leaves, cheque is torn up and two weeks goes by with excuses before the process starts again.

Other tricks were $5000 cheques becoming $500. Sorry our secretary got the ooo's wrong, mate :D :D

Never trust anyone with money in this game unless you can afford to lose it or are willing to be ruthless in getting it back, and I don't mean ruthless via legal means.

Even a so called good Friend I managed a DA deal for who made $800k quibbled on my $1k token fee. It should have been $20k fee but to help him out I said $1k will do.

He expected $300k, got $800k and quibbled over $1k! and took amonth to pay it when rendered.

Money changes some people, be aware.

Peter 147

Thanks Peter.
I'll add that it is the LOVE of money that changes some people.
I always knew this ex friend of mine loved her latte lifestyle, but always believed her morals would never let her put lattes before love.

After all, she considered herself an enlightened compassionate intellectual, a friend of the proletariat, someone sincerely wanting to make a difference for the greater good. She made a lot of noise with the UDIA about the need for affordable accomodation for those less fortunate...or less equal?. "The Australian" featured her as a visionary with heart.

God dam, she actually meditates, and does yoga, and goes on retreats....in Bali of course...

However, I saw the ambiguity there a long time ago, but never thought it would grow into a serpent. She preferred to put as much space between her and her beloved proletariat as she could. Not so subconsciously, she despised them, with their simple minds and lifestyles. It is just as ironic as a great unionist living on the Harbour in Vaucluse.

And maybe that is why I feel more comfortable with people who wear thongs, tend permaculture gardens, take an active role in their local community, who do not consume so much so conspicuously, who happily mix with people from all walks of life. They tend to love PEOPLE, more than things, more than status. They tend to be more...human.

I agree that there are a lot of black rats with one gold tooth in the property game. I would like to give them less opportunity to succeed, by seeing the ethical and reasonable amongst us rising up and taking responsibility for the supply and demand of property. I believe the moral majority have an obligation to take more responsibility to generate wealth. If you don't, then the black rats in white shoes will take the dollars of your children, and spend it on mindless consumption. If you do take responsibility, then you have the opportunity to make the world a much better, much caring, much loving place. You can mould Sydney Melbourne Birsbane etc into the city you want, and not have something imposed by strong willed bullies who don't give a black rat's about your priorities.

Now, I am off to the gym to burn some fat...

Back