How Reliable Are Councils?

Long story short, i called a Melbourne council today to scope out whether a property could be subdivided (Checking the zoning, easements ect)

My answer from council was that there shouldn't be any problem with subdivision. However there was an easement running along the back of the block, to do with water. However she told me that it wouldn't be a problem to build on as there was plenty of room.....Do i trust her? What else can i do here?

Long story short, i called a Melbourne council today to scope out whether a property could be subdivided (Checking the zoning, easements ect)

My answer from council was that there shouldn't be any problem with subdivision. However there was an easement running along the back of the block, to do with water. However she told me that it wouldn't be a problem to build on as there was plenty of room.....Do i trust her? What else can i do here?

If its not in writing, it never happened....Take this as the level of reliability council provide...

There is so much more to the feasibility to consider...

You can ring councils and talk to 3 different people and get 3 different answers on any given day.

You can't rely on what they say verbally. Get a Town Planner on your side.

You can ring councils and talk to 3 different people and get 3 different answers on any given day.

You can't rely on what they say verbally. Get a Town Planner on your side.

That was my plan, but I'm unsure what the go is if you don't actually own the property, as its on the market?

As others have said don't trust any verbal advice from councils. You can get a town planner to look or have a look at the DCP on the council website.

Back