How should we get our music these days ?

very low drum and bass beats - which are seemingly non-audible - can actually be more felt than heard........

There's a funny but true story about sound guys accentuating specific "sub" frequencies, 27Hz from memory and the resulting dance floor behaviour of the fairer sex :D.

:cool:

I made copies of a lot of my vinyls

lol 'vinyls'

I d/l a lot of music. Both copyrighted and non-copyrighted. I also buy a lot of vinyl. I have no problem d/ling major label music, since only a tiny percentage of acts actually make any money from their recorded music. I suggest having a read of this: http://www.negativland.com/albini.html.

If companies in most industries exploited their employees like this, they'd be hauled into court quick smart. But the music and film industries get to tell the wider public that anyone that downloads music and movies for free is a thief.

As I said to another bloke on a different forum who had a go at me for d/ling music 'Would you like to come over to my place and peep my 700+ record collection?' I prefer to give my money to independent DIY labels that actually care about the music and the bands they release.

I'm sure you can come up with a million reasons why that is a ridiculous point of view, but I'm comfortable with it.

Last edited:
Mark,

I read Steve Albini's article a long time ago and have kept a copy for posterity;) along with a few other gems.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

In even simpler terms, if you look at music video's and recording artists today especially all the main-stream stuff, most of them are rolling around in million dollar mansions, driving around exotic supercars, throwing money around like it's toilet paper and dressed like a wall-street banker... Seen a hip-hop video recently? :D

Your average teenager looks at this and goes, why should I pay for the music he clearly doesn't need the money??

The record music industry needs a lot to answer for, the albini article goes a long way in dispelling some of the myths.

Unfortunately, they've been bloated and fat for too long and using all the money they've creativley funneled their way from artists Im sure has helped them fund top-lawyers to attack peer-to-peer sites like kazaa, napster etc.

It won't die and the more they attack, the more will pop-up. They need to focus their money to look at more creative ways to get their content out there and that might mean recognizing the artists right up front (and taking a profit hit) - it's what the paying consumers see/hear. The internet helps cut out the middle-man.

I have crates and crates of records and CD's and more often than not multiple versions of the same single so one doesn't wear out (vinyl) and buying albums/compilations just for a single song or a single remix version only available on that album... frustrating...

There's a funny but true story about sound guys accentuating specific "sub" frequencies, 27Hz from memory and the resulting dance floor behaviour of the fairer sex :D.

Do tell.

I can only recall the story where very low frequency weapons were trialled by the military where they would aim the sound waves at people and the vibrations would cause them to lose control of their bowels. Not sure if it is just an urban myth though.

Whenever discussions like this come up, it's interesting to note that invariably, the focus is on certain "groups" within the industry, eg: the high profile artist de jour, the hip hop crowd, the companies' greed, etc., etc., but what people forget is that behind all of this there are the songwriter/composers who frequently are not the performers BUT who rely on the success and sales of their compositions for income.........think about it.

Would anyone who advocates d/loading music, films, etc., for free ever consider walking into a Sanity or JB store and stealing a CD or DVD because they believe they shouldn't have to pay for it?

Would anyone who advocates d/loading music, films, etc., for free ever consider walking into a Sanity or JB store and stealing a CD or DVD because they believe they shouldn't have to pay for it?

No, because every time this argument is presented, everyone who advocates downloading music, films, etc for free can tell the difference between theft of the physical and duplication of the intangible.

It would be awesome if more musicians had somewhere easy on line to send donations so that fans can pay them directly, but hardly any musicians have set this up.

It's true that frequencies can be felt, outside of the normal approximate hearing range of someone very young and in perfect health, which is 20hz-20khz. For most people however, it's very hard to actually hear all of this supposed range of human hearing.

Bass is very easy to feel through solid objects, but it's hard to feel it through the air, much lower than around 20hz. 27hz is very easy to hear and feel, it's a very deep vibration, like an earthquake or similar rumble. Sonic weapons exist, some aimed to make buildings crumble, but the brown note is full of it, it doesn't exist. If it was true, I would have made a bit of a mess when I was testing my 18" subwoofer, all the way down to the supposed brown note subsonic frequencies. A painter from across the road, and two houses east, did come over and asked me if I could turn it down, because he was sanding the walls, and he said I was causing the dust to go everywhere :(

A record player can produce clear bass, decent midrange, and a mediocre high frequency response, so the resulting sound output basically has a much stronger bottom end compared to it's top end, so it really does sound like there's more bass there. A -3db 27hz signal from a vinyl record will sound just as clear and deep as a -3db 27hz signal from a cd, even a 128kbit mp3 sounds excellent at that low of a frequency! Low quality mp3 suffers at mid to high frequencies, not bass.

And generating sound from bouncing a needle on grooved vinyl, is a very inaccurate and noisy method, especially at high frequencies, causing ultra sonic frequencies to be generated, which can possibly be felt through your bones slightly, if your sound system is good enough... (and not heard through the ears, except for some types of small animals) which is a big reason why vinyl is a less accurate recording medium. If you like this resulting sound however, then who cares what's more or less realistic.

And lets not pretend that downloading copyrighted material isn't stealing boy and girls :rolleyes:

I'm sure if any one of you made a movie or an album, and you saw someone holding a recordable disc, with the name of your product scribbled on top, you wouldn't be happy about it! Would you ask them if that's just a backup of their legally purchased item? Would you follow them home, and report their address as a pirated copy manufacturing site? You could say you'd be happy about it, but no-one will believe you :D

I'm sure if any one of you made a movie or an album, and you saw someone holding a recordable disc, with the name of your product scribbled on top, you wouldn't be happy about it! Would you ask them if that's just a backup of their legally purchased item? Would you follow them home, and report their address as a pirated copy manufacturing site? You could say you'd be happy about it, but no-one will believe you :D

If I was a new band then I'd be thrilled to see people with my music - regardless of where it came from.

Whenever discussions like this come up, it's interesting to note that invariably, the focus is on certain "groups" within the industry, eg: the high profile artist de jour, the hip hop crowd, the companies' greed, etc., etc., but what people forget is that behind all of this there are the songwriter/composers who frequently are not the performers BUT who rely on the success and sales of their compositions for income.........think about it.

Good point.

A friend of mine is a producer singer/songwriter and has worked with Aussie idol artists and some up and coming performers. It is a tough industry to crack and many of the songwriters are activley promoting themselves and their artform. Avenues like myspace is common to get recognition for their work, plus many are on forums and websites where their work is recognised. My friend gets a few artists to perform his compositions and decides which ones he uses, so they have some control.

He too finds the record labels frustrating to work with and recognises that they take their big share of the dollar pie. But for many of them it's a necessary evil.

I think the internet, with sites like myspace, independant record labels, internet savvy artists and producers are starting to get creative and come up with their own ways of doing things. For example, music production equipment used to cost a fortune - now it's a PC or a Mac with software like ProTools or Logic Stuido and libraries of sounds which are shared between producers. Monitor speakers, Mic's, synth keyboards etc. are more readily available (e.g. I can go to JB Hifi and buy DJ equipment now days) which helps keep prices down and get them focusing on creativity.

I have a stack of those 'vinyls' here to rip to CD, which I'm sure is utterly illegal, but companies offer the service to do it for you. I said I'd put them on a mp3 player too (as a birthday pressie) since they are all such awful, ancient records that noone other than the owner would ever want to listen to them. This is for someone who wouldn't know how to download the same tracks on the record illegally even if they wanted to.

Not quite sure how to go about it yet. We have a turntable, computers, lots of time, and of course the stack of records. I guess some good googling will solve the mystery. Going to have a bunch of absolutely mammoth .wav files lying around in the meantime though.

lol 'vinyls'

I d/l a lot of music. Both copyrighted and non-copyrighted. I also buy a lot of vinyl. I have no problem d/ling major label music, since only a tiny percentage of acts actually make any money from their recorded music. I suggest having a read of this: http://www.negativland.com/albini.html.

If companies in most industries exploited their employees like this, they'd be hauled into court quick smart. But the music and film industries get to tell the wider public that anyone that downloads music and movies for free is a thief.

As I said to another bloke on a different forum who had a go at me for d/ling music 'Would you like to come over to my place and peep my 700+ record collection?' I prefer to give my money to independent DIY labels that actually care about the music and the bands they release.

I'm sure you can come up with a million reasons why that is a ridiculous point of view, but I'm comfortable with it.

Something people tend to forget, is that whilst it is true that only a small percentage of CD sales make it into the artists hands, a massive $5-$10 per CD is spent on marketing from which the artist benefits not only via CD sales but increased awareness and profile overall, which helps them earn a living live.

Now that the labels have no money they're forcing young artists to give up shares from the streams they do pay the rent with - live income and merchandise. So don't think for a minute that you're just stealing from the fat cat labels, you're stealing from the artists as well.

I've worked in the music business for 20 years now and have seen more dishonesty with indie labels then I have from major labels btw.

Back on topic, buy CDs as they are a much higher quality than any download. Burn them at the highest rate for iTunes. Works for me.

No, I have never ever knowingly stolen music, movies or anything else. I did receive compilation tapes from friends as a teenager, but that was before I was educated and they were compilation tapes that lead to me supporting artists long term so it's not the same.

It kills me that people don't understand or value creativity and can justify stealing it.

Hi Rae,

I appreciate you have a particular point of view and that's fine. But please don't insult my intelligence with stories about starving young artists having their dinner taken away from them by people d/ling music and the label heads wringing their hands about how they want their employees (aka artists) to get a cut.

Labels (yes, both indie and major) have been stealing from artists for decades. As I stated, only a tiny minority of artists actually make a living from their music, mostly because the label heads are stealing from them.

The majors (and the bigger indie labels, most of whom are just offshoots of the majors anyway) don't give a rats about the artists, only about the bottom line. They can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. It's not like there's anything of quality being released by them anyway these days.

As Conflict said 'Only stupid *******s help EMI'.

There's a girl I know that was singing in a band for years, did many gigs in pubs, tried unsuccesfully to get on radio, and only had very short samples available for free download on her website.

Definitely. I've written a few tracks in my time and it's very satisfying to see others enjoying your work.

i always get a smile on my dial when i'm driving along and one of my songs come on the radio.. when i'm dreaming

So you two have written some music, and love just being able to get people to have a listen, without paying?

Proove it, put up some links that we can download your tracks, in a high quality format.

So you two have written some music, and love just being able to get people to have a listen, without paying?

Proove it, put up some links that we can download your tracks, in a high quality format.

triple click any word in what i said to get the full message :)

Thanks for asking. I'll set up a free page with 10 - 15 of my tracks.

Back