How should we get our music these days ?

Hey people.
Wifey and me are dumbfounded as to how we should get our music now and in the future - a n d , what's the best house player to buy, we're due for a newy .
Are CD's in - gone , what ? CD players ?
What about those little what are they called, store thousands of songs , earphones , I hate them ?
Do we still put a new CD player in the car , or are they history too ?
Should we just buy a system to plug in the other gadget or whats the go ?

Getting my music , I've been using Limewire for yrs - no I didn't say that and from there I'd just CD them . Some nasty piker shut them down though as you know and now I'm lost .

Have been meaning to bail up my very hip 22yrold nephew , but it's a little embarrassing - the electronic age has finally gotten the better of me.

Cheers

I have an ipod.

Portable, can hold 1000's of songs and also video footage. Sits in a player when I sue it at home wiht exteranl speakers - about $500 all up

Besdes that I use my dvd player for cd's or soetimes listen on my laptop, but I dont have a dedicated space for it besides the table, so I dont have good sound coming out of it. Dvd is hooked up to 5 cheap but effective surround sound speakers.

Might look at what a friend was telling me about, like an external drive onto which you'd copy all your video& music files and then plug it into your tv & watch it from there.

This is cheap & nasty style of course but works when your ground floor is 25sq m

I get all my music for free via torrent sites then just copy onto a thumb drive. Both car and home stereo have USB connection so just plug and play. Pretty much all stereos these days have both USB and iPod connections so CDs are out.

I get all my music for free via torrent sites then just copy onto a thumb drive. Both car and home stereo have USB connection so just plug and play. Pretty much all stereos these days have both USB and iPod connections so CDs are out.

Older (smaller) thumb drives are no problem, because under 4gb they are generally formated with the FAT32 file system, which all the stereos read these days, however most stereos and dvd players still DO NOT read the NTFS file system, which is generally what gets used when your thumb drive is over 4gb.

Solution is to specifically choose FAT32 when formatting it, but be aware you then won't be able to put 4gb+ files onto it like HD movies or other data. Or take an NTFS-formatted thumb drive with you to the store when you test out your new stereo/DVD player.

If you want true quality of sound, find a way to go with vinyl.....you remember 12" LP's ;) it's the only format which doesn't cut everything above 20kHz off, otherwise you stick with CD's which are not yet on the way out. Mp3's, etc., all compromise the sound quality. Unfortunately we're breeding a generation who have no idea of what good sound really is...............if bad sound were fatal, audio would be the leading cause of death :D

The pic is a Spectrograph image showing the same 3 second section of a Supertramp song Vinyl vs CD.

Oh, and if you're not paying for it, then you're stealing it :mad:

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    Resize Wizard-2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 91
I use and recommend isohunt.

This is isoHunt, the most advanced BitTorrent search engine. With cross-referenced trackers statistics for all torrents indexed updated to the hour, this is the best P2P files search engine and community. Try searching in the box above, or browse around our Torrents directory and Zeitgeist for what's new and popular.

If you want true quality of sound, find a way to go with vinyl.....you remember 12" LP's it's the only format which doesn't cut everything above 20kHz off

Even as an audiophile, I don't think I can hear much above 20KHz any more anyway, however vinyl seems to have much deeper bass than digital (44.1).

Even as an audiophile, I don't think I can hear much above 20KHz any more anyway, however vinyl seems to have much deeper bass than digital (44.1).

+1, but I can't even hear all the way up to 20khz.. I may be wrong but I bet you never could :rolleyes:

If you want true quality of sound, find a way to go with vinyl.....you remember 12" LP's ;) it's the only format which doesn't cut everything above 20kHz off, otherwise you stick with CD's which are not yet on the way out. Mp3's, etc., all compromise the sound quality. Unfortunately we're breeding a generation who have no idea of what good sound really is...............if bad sound were fatal, audio would be the leading cause of death :D

The pic is a Spectrograph image showing the same 3 second section of a Supertramp song Vinyl vs CD.

Oh, and if you're not paying for it, then you're stealing it :mad:

Much of the high frequency information picked up on vinyl, is noise. Try some different pick up needles and you'll find each one produces a slightly different sound.

Yes mp3 generally aren't very clear, but anything which has been accurately ripped at over 256kbit from cd (not upscaled from 128 for example) is very nice, even on very expensive speakers.

As for cd not going over 20khz being an issue, I bet $100 you can't hear over 19khz. Your love of vinyl and talk of this younger generation we are breeding, suggests to me that you may be over 30, at least.

My ears work very well, I often hear sounds such as a mobile ringing at the bottom of a handbag in a noisy environment or a tv being turned on from far, when others can't hear anything. I also have a frequency generator, and have tested the hearing ability of many people, using tweeters which can reproduce sound up to around 30khz.

I can hear sounds up to around 18 500 hz, some younger kids including when I was young, could hear up to ~19khz, but most people can't even hear past ~17-18khz. My dogs seemed to notice sounds up to around ~25khz, but that's a very rough guess at best, they were probably just sniffing around for some food, or maybe the dog next door was on heat for all I know :confused:

vincezo's right about the diferrent needles on vinyl

many recordings of old music that I have ben recently fascinated with are very very scratchy recordings, to the point where it was almost assumed that they were not very good recordings to start off with. then some group of world music lovers remasterd as simply as possible, by finding the right needle and doing as little else as possible

I remember my senses pricking up when I put the cd on at the clarity

I've noticed that I forgot to mention that +1 for isohunt, and another really good torrent search engine is demonoid.

And I use & recommend utorrent, it's a great torrent client.

I've noticed that I forgot to mention that +1 for isohunt, and another really good torrent search engine is demonoid.

And I use & recommend utorrent, it's a great torrent client.

+1 for utorrent, nice and light and not bloatware like Vuze.

I'm sure you used to dub tapes from your friends when you were a young fella, no? So that makes you a thief too, right?

Damnation Mark, you've got me ;). Mate, I don't recall knowing anyone who didn't, the big difference now is that you don't even need to know someone with a "legal" recording, it's just open slather off the www. In vinyl and cassette times I made copies of a lot of my vinyls so I could play them in the car but I made very few copies for anyone else and I'd suspect that overall, the number of "illegal" cassette copies from original recordings was not really too significant, well certainly no enough to cause the recording companies to pursue the issue. I've recently been looking into problems the neighbour had with a sudden huge increase in internet usage, turns out it started immediately after one of his kids d/loaded Limewire to their laptop and almost half the usage from that time on was other people accessing songs from the kids music "library"............frequently over 100 times a day.

As for cd not going over 20khz being an issue, I bet $100 you can't hear over 19khz. Your love of vinyl and talk of this younger generation we are breeding, suggests to me that you may be over 30, at least.

Vincenzo,

Last thing first..............Yep way over 30 (started learning guitar in '62) :D and I don't have a love of vinyl per se but I do know that any reasonably well cared for vinyl exhibits more pleasant sound qualities than any digital format and you don't need audiophool equipment to hear it.

No bets needed, my hearing certainly isn't what it used to be :(

What probably isn't widely known is that some years ago, laboratory tests confirmed that the human system is capable of detecting and reacting to frequencies upward of 50kHz so just because it's beyond our audible hearing range doesn't mean it doesn't affect the "listening experience".................as a side note, I run both dedicated h/disk (not PC based) and 1" tape multitrack recorders in my studio, I'm not particularly biased one way or the other and consider I have a fair appreciation of the audio differences between the formats.

I just think people should be educated to understand just what is done to recordings when they're "compressed" down to mp3s, etc.

Anyways, off my soapbox :eek:

:cool:

I used to DJ and had the best of both worlds. CD's were pretty much the only way to go once the clubs started installing them (yes it was a while back when I was doing this). CD's were simply more convenient.

It's pretty hard to be a discerning listener to electronic drums and beats, synths, hoovers and sampled voices :) Although I believe that research has shown that higher non-audible frequencies can compliment the audible ones and hence are useful. In a lot dance (especially trance/techno) very low drum and bass beats - which are seemingly non-audible - can actually be more felt than heard and therefore compliment the driving drum and bass lines of a particular track. If you've ever been to a rave, you'll know what I mean :)

In any case I would rip my vinyl via uncompressed WAV files and store them as .flac (free lossless audio codec). When compressing down to mp3, I would encode at VBR (variable bit rate) with a 48khz sampling rate (typically CD's are sampled at 44.1khz).

The argument is probably academic seeing that it would be impossible to tell audio quality, in a packed nightclub through, yelling and chatting with thumping speakers amplified (and distorted) by mixers and power-amps :)

Back