How small is too small?

Hi Guys,
Been looking at some villas which people have drawn up.
I've noticed that in order to fit the house on the subdivided lot, the rooms are made to be really small. These are generally beds 2 & 3. The master bedroom is still fairly large.

So, how small is too small to be not considered a bedroom? 2.5m x 3m? 2.0 x 3.0m? 3.0m x 3.0m?

At what point will homebuyers think that the size is not practical to be use as a bedroom?

Hi Guys,
Been looking at some villas which people have drawn up.
I've noticed that in order to fit the house on the subdivided lot, the rooms are made to be really small. These are generally beds 2 & 3. The master bedroom is still fairly large.

So, how small is too small to be not considered a bedroom? 2.5m x 3m? 2.0 x 3.0m? 3.0m x 3.0m?

At what point will homebuyers think that the size is not practical to be use as a bedroom?

For a villa/unit, I wouldn't go below 9m2 for a bedroom (e.g. 3x3m, 3.2x2.8m). This excludes the robe. Any smaller would be considered a study. For a larger villa or a house, 10m2 plus.

minimum sizes

Hi Wealth,

in Ron Forlee's book 'Australian Residential Property Development' he says 'The dimensions of bedrooms are dictated by the size of the bed and area to move around it' He goes on to say,'... the minimum dimensions of a bedroom that includes a queen-size bed with side tables and 2000mm wardrobe, is at least 3000mm x 3200mm. In modern houses, the master bedroom is usually bigger than this minimum, typically about 4000mm x 3800mm, which is just about the ideal economic size.'

As for the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms etc he says they are usually about 3000mm x 2700mm. This is to accomodate a single bed, a wardrobe 1200mm wide by 600mm deep, and a table or desk. However, he goes on to say that if you are marketing to singles or couples with no kids you might make the 2nd bedroom bigger to accomodate a double bed.

Hope this helps.

I try not to go under 3x3 for Beds 2 & 3, Robes are outside this dimention. This is sufficient for a dbl bed. For a single bed 3 x 2.7 would be fine.

Back