How to Add Value/Rent Appeal to my 70's Villa

Hi All,

I'm just waiting for settlement to happen on my old 70's villa/townhouse.
It's a 4x2 + study, 168SQM in Yokine, Perth.

I've uploaded a couple photos and I'm wondering on peoples opinions on the walls and ceiling in some of the house.

Some walls are covered in a floor like laminate in part of the dining and all of the study. Should I rip this off and plaster/paint it? I do have early access.

Also the other photos of the ceiling, the hallway has a hay type covering and the rooms have some foam type covering making the place look unattractive and possibly harder to rent?

I'm wonder if I should gyprock all the ceiling or if I can cover them another way? paint? The top floor is 84SQM.

One problem with gyprocking is, the roof is flat so any electrical roof work in the future will need the metal sheet roofing removed.

Attachments

• 178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20037.JPG
    178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20037.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20033.JPG
    178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20033.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20015.JPG
    178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20015.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20001.JPG
    178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20001.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 99
welcome to the 1970s fashionable decor.

You can fix all of it with some muscle and a crow bar.

Let me assess the pictures some more

The foam-like stuff on some of the ceilings is vermiculite. You're lucky - it's already white. It's very difficult to paint. Best you can do is keep it white or possibly have a hanging ceiling put under/over it, which of course reduces the room height. It's in lots of 60/s and 70's places, almost a trademark for units and townhouses. You could get it tested for asbestos for peace of mind. It probably is asbestos free.
I would take vinyl off the walls :p
It's a good place though.
Is that cork on the ceiling of the stairwell? If so, I'd probably keep it there.

The foam-like stuff on some of the ceilings is vermiculite. You're lucky - it's already white. It's very difficult to paint. Best you can do is keep it white or possibly have a hanging ceiling put under/over it, which of course reduces the room height. It's in lots of 60/s and 70's places, almost a trademark for units and townhouses. You could get it tested for asbestos for peace of mind. It probably is asbestos free.
I would take vinyl off the walls :p
It's a good place though.
Is that cork on the ceiling of the stairwell? If so, I'd probably keep it there.

Hey WattleIdo, the vermiculite stuff is fine as the owner has just painted the whole ground floor ceiling and it looks much better then the photos (unpainted). It also tested negative to asbestos.

The stairwell ceiling is a compressed hay type sheet which I want to cover somehow. It's one of my first things to do but I'm not sure what to cover it with yet.

Couple more photos. Also need to replace all the yellow windows. Does anyone know why these were installed in properties?

Attachments

• 178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20011.JPG
    178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20011.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 79
  • 178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20038.JPG
    178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20038.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 97
Hey WattleIdo, the vermiculite stuff is fine as the owner has just painted the whole ground floor ceiling and it looks much better then the photos (unpainted). It also tested negative to asbestos.

The stairwell ceiling is a compressed hay type sheet which I want to cover somehow. It's one of my first things to do but I'm not sure what to cover it with yet.

Batten and gyprock over the hay stuff or you could just paint it (won't look crash hot but is an option)

You can paint over the wall panelling or pull it off but who knows what is behind it.

I'm having kittens over that balustrading. You'd never be able to have that now as the gaps are too big and a kid could fall through it.

Couple more photos. Also need to replace all the yellow windows. Does anyone know why these were installed in properties?
Cause they were so stylish back then! :cool:
Gawd, I love (sarcasm) the fake wood panel walls. Reminds me of our old family bungalow by the beach actually...and the hay-coloured yellow carpet that it had. Luckily it also had a bar against the plastic-wood-panel-wall so it almost made up for it.
Do you have any of the yellowed glass that looks like a whole bunch of glass bottle-bottoms?

Do you have any of the yellowed glass that looks like a whole bunch of glass bottle-bottoms?

We had that in my beautiful 70's built childhood house in the tall window right near the front door. There was a light fitting downstairs that kind was like a cylindrical pyramid made of blackened brass with lovely amber bubbled glass coming out the holes.
God you should've seen the wallpaper! My Mum and Dad loved 70's decor. They went for it!!! The loungeroom carpet was orange and brown looped pile, the lounge suite was green and yellow stripes and the wallpaper was charcoal with HUGE weird flowers - lime stems, white somewhere and teal somewhere. We had a bar and a teal tile table. The polyester curtains were lime green with circular holes in them.That was just the loungroom.
Yes, the kitchen had lime green laminate. There was parquetry in the hall.... etc etc.
Maybe that's why I don't mind that yellow glass - find it quite tame actually. I woudn't remove it 'cause it's different these days and it gives a little bit of privacy with those wall to ceiling windows.

Everything in the bathrooms are blue. Sink, bath, tiles, toilet. I was born a decade to late for this taste.

I guess properties back then came with built in bars standard?

All the carpet and vinyl was replaced in the house this week. The place looked so nice. I'm extremely happy about this as the owner had already paid for it and they said it cost them about $7000!

Attachments

• 178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20026.JPG
    178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20026.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20027.JPG
    178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20027.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20040.JPG
    178%20Wanneroo%20rd%20YOKINE%20%20040.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 70
God you should've seen the wallpaper! My Mum and Dad loved 70's decor. They went for it!!! The loungeroom carpet was orange and brown looped pile,
Yes, the kitchen had lime green laminate. There was parquetry in the hall.... etc etc.

My house before I renovated it had fluffy green carpet and orange bench tops. Oh and every room is still a different colour.

The various textures of blue in the bathroom ... I like. Wouldn't change. New vanity and some paint, yes. But then I've already told you where I've been.
The Spanish type stucco on the wall is ok. Love the stairs.
It's the arches I haven't liked since about the age of 12.
Of course, I liked them as a kid - a novelty. 'Two Spanish Eyes' and bullfights and all that.
The bar. I'd be tempted to keep even though I don't drink.

I got them to remove the bar as it was taking up space. I'm not sure if I should remove the arches above and behind it though.

I got them to remove the bar as it was taking up space. I'm not sure if I should remove the arches above and behind it though.

I hate bars in house so I would have ripped it out. I would remove the arches, but I kind of like the green tile. If it is pretty intact, you could see how it looks once the bar and arches are gone and make some sort of feature of it?

I wouldn't know what to do with that straw like ceiling. Maybe keep it? It's kind of quirky.

What is the narrow red line at the top of the walls. I think with that painted white (or removed if it can be removed) things would look less "bits".

I also love the stairs and don't mind the Spanish wall texture. I think with some of the bits gone, and the rest painted white, it would look much better and the "quirky" bits might be ok to leave.

How did you get early access? My place is settling in 9 days and I'd love to get in there earlier. Do you just ask the seller if they're cool with it? I thought it wouldn't be allowed for legal reasons, if settlement falls through, etc.

Cheers

I hate bars in house so I would have ripped it out. I would remove the arches, but I kind of like the green tile. If it is pretty intact, you could see how it looks once the bar and arches are gone and make some sort of feature of it?

Green tile? Are you talking about the brick wall behind it?
I wouldn't know what to do with that straw like ceiling. Maybe keep it? It's kind of quirky.

What is the narrow red line at the top of the walls. I think with that painted white (or removed if it can be removed) things would look less "bits".

That red line is actually orange and its rope, I think nylon. Its one first thing I'm removing. I think they liked it as a feature border for some reason. :confused:

I also love the stairs and don't mind the Spanish wall texture. I think with some of the bits gone, and the rest painted white, it would look much better and the "quirky" bits might be ok to leave.

I'm planning on getting aircon installed in the lounge and 1 main roof.
Also looking at getting inbuilt wardrobes for 3 of the bedrooms as one already has it.

Anyone know a cheap cabinet maker in perth? :D

Back