How to become a real estate agent ?

Hi,

I am just wondering how to become a real estate agent ?

I want to open my own real estate agency or represent some builders to sell their properties.

What's the process to become an agent ?

Aaron, there is no requirement for practical experience in NSW as a requirement of getting a licence - anyone who has had a labotomy :rolleyes: and can pass the course can get a full licence and open an agency.

What you can't get without experience is the network of contacts for leads, a reputation, sales skills, motivation, hunger, customer service skills, personality type.......

Other courses are also available from OTEN, Seek, universities or Kaplan/other ATO's.

Given One World has serious issues with ALL real estate agents, I'd certainly take his comments with a pinch of salt. Tarring every REA with the same brush is quite ridiculous and offensive. As with any other industry, there are crooks and there are also many very decent and honest REA's out there too. Dealing with them every day its quite easy to suss out the good ones and generally they are also the most successful ones who gain the most listings.

As Propertunity has pointed out you will need to get your own licence to open an agency, however I'd strongly advise working in the industry first for a few years as its the experience and track record which will determine your success and not your on paper credentials.

On a separate note, I notice in your sig you say "I buy houses" which would suggest you are a buyers agent and not a selling agent. There is a BIG difference. Also if you want to trade under that name you should probably be aware that there is a quite popular property investing book by Paul Do under the exact same name.

Given One World has serious issues with ALL real estate agents,

Over the years, as an investor, I have dealt with realtors in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin, London, Los Angeles, Houston and New York.

Oops I forgot to mention several Asian cities.

I daresay I have plenty of experience..... and there's something about the mindset of MOST commissioned agents that I'm generally uncomfortable with.

Yes, I have a few friends who are realtors. But, as I say, they represent less than 1% of all those I have dealt with. These guys are a rare few.

So Mr Monopoly, my question to you is this: have you been a Realtor before? :rolleyes:

Do you have a sense of loyalty to your clients? Or are you part of the sell 'em dump 'em no responsibility taken trash?

Over the years, as an investor, I have dealt with realtors in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Darwin, London, Los Angeles, Houston and New York.

Oops I forgot to mention several Asian cities.

I daresay I have plenty of experience..... and there's something about the mindset of MOST commissioned agents that I'm generally uncomfortable with.

Yes, I have a few friends who are realtors. But, as I say, they represent less than 1% of all those I have dealt with. These guys are a rare few.

So Mr Monopoly, my question to you is this: have you been a Realtor before? :rolleyes:

Do you have a sense of loyalty to your clients? Or are you part of the sell 'em dump 'em no responsibility taken trash?

Having been a full time property professional for over a decade in Central London and Sydney in roles as a real estate agent, valuer, property consultant and buyers agent its fair to say that I have come across my fair share of REA's in my time, which is why I take offence to ridiculous sweeping statements.

Yes I would agree a few bad apples have created a negative connotation towards REA's but in my honest opinion the vast majority do not fall into this category.

To be quite frank, I wouldn't even indulge this discussion usually, but I hate to see passionate property people discouraged from entering the industry when it is these very people the industry needs to stop these tiresome generalisations in the first place.

Back