How to best take advantage of new R codes in Perth

many many councils are kicking up such a stink about the MD codes they are looking to veto their effect with new town planning schemes. Stirling to pass a motion to WAPC (unanimous council decision) to amend their TPS to only allowing MDs above R60 - which effectively negates the entire R Codes.

Swan, Belmont, Canning, Vic Park - all insanely difficult to deal with when it comes to MDs. rules that make your head spin - you will most likely need advice before you purchase to make sure that even though the zoning is correct for state planning policy, you can actually develop it under local govt policy.

massive, massive zoning wars happening right now. state versus local in almost every juridiction.

new R codes coming out again V soon which will put everyone's noses out of joint - especially if you like survey strata unit developments - your lot sizes are allowed to be a whole lot smaller, but some setbacks don't count as open space anymore (that's right, that "dead" setback side of your house now counts as house area....)

City of Fremantle and City of Belmont

Hi All
this may interest some, I am told that City of Belmont/Freo are making changes as far as granny flats go, you will be able to build for investment purposes/rent out. I have no details and have not confirmed this with councils concerned but was given this info from a reliable source.

Hopefully we will go down the same road as NSW.

Cheers, MTR

Correct MTR, Freo has amended its ancillary dwellings policy to allow them to be rented out to anyone rather than just for family. Pretty strict on size and height though from what I hear. Vincent has been allowing this for a couple years and are alot more accommodating in supporting variations.

And as Aaron said, a new R-Codes is in the pipeline which internal sources at WAPC tell me will include the removal of the family relation clause allowing granny flats throughout WA to be rented out.

I did some googling about 12 months ago on granny flats in Perth and I came across some info that around Inglewood there were a lot of granny flats rented seperately to the house but the council turned a blind eye to it as it was helping provide accomodation. Some other info I read was that they were doing trials around Freo first, then if it was successful, they would open it to all area's. I'm sure if you did some googling with some key words you'd be able to find it/or some updated info. eg http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=....302.3152.7j1j9j1.18.0...0.0...1c.-jw7dnReeN8

From memory and hopefully other forum members such as Urban Planner, Aaron, JakeD etc maybe able to help, but can't you have Granny Flats in most areas providing its about 60sqm (or up to 100 sqm under the same roof structure)?

I heard City of Bayswater were allowing Granny Flats to be rented out to tenants also?

From memory and hopefully other forum members such as Urban Planner, Aaron, JakeD etc maybe able to help, but can't you have Granny Flats in most areas providing its about 60sqm (or up to 100 sqm under the same roof structure)?

I heard City of Bayswater were allowing Granny Flats to be rented out to tenants also?

You can have granny flats anywhere provided they are 60sqm or under, the site complies with the open space requirements and setbacks are loosely compliant - all as per the R-Codes which is state wide. Many Councils will also have their own local planning policy that permits variations to these requirements such as greater area, not being connected to the main dwelling and most importantly can be rented out to anyone.

The occupancy by family only such a hard thing for councils enforce so they are finally taking a common sense approach and allowing it through LPPs.

I used to be a planner at Vincent and remember approving a two-storey 2x1 granny flat with its own courtyard, living areas, kitchen etc that was about 120sqm all up (~80sqm footprint) - with every intention to rent out. This was about 2 years ago now. You can't begin to solve housing shortages without a bit of common sense

The occupancy by family only such a hard thing for councils enforce so they are finally taking a common sense approach and allowing it through LPPs.

ATM, family of who? the tenants in main dwelling or the owner of the property?

And how far or distant can you go with family??

When are they expected to pass the new R-codes as they seem to be taking there time?

cheers

ATM, family of who? the tenants in main dwelling or the owner of the property?

And how far or distant can you go with family??

When are they expected to pass the new R-codes as they seem to be taking there time?

cheers

the occupier of the dwelling.

immediate only.

next 6m or so - so probably 12m.

well good sir, i would be interested to know your name - we may have gone a-headbutting once upon a time ....:D

It should be on my profile is it not? Im sure we would have spoken on the phone but I don't think we butted heads, at least not directly :D I do remember seeing your name on a recent Vincent DAC meeting agenda (it only rang a bell from lurking in this forum) - I was presenting at the same one (what an absolute waste of time they are!). Glad I made the move to the private sector!

Let's keep this thread going! Thanks!

Have my eyes on a property, see how it goes. No big deal if I dont get it, plenty more on my radar.

It should be on my profile is it not? Im sure we would have spoken on the phone but I don't think we butted heads, at least not directly :D I do remember seeing your name on a recent Vincent DAC meeting agenda (it only rang a bell from lurking in this forum) - I was presenting at the same one (what an absolute waste of time they are!). Glad I made the move to the private sector!

yeah we are headed to council finally for the west pde development. its only been 9 months.....

the DAC added some good ideas for this particular development, i guess it helps if you're on the same page as them to start with. i know roughly what vincent are trying to achieve for their areas (obviously a little less than you!) so it always helps when you can jump into something off the front foot.

i was responsible for the Angove St uproar and the following front page "Vincent vision is dead" report.....never mind the fact it met the R Codes and RDEs to the letter, nil concessions requested anywhere.

Aaron, I understand what they're trying to achieve and think they are slowly coming up to speed with many other Councils that have been doing it for years. My issue is that they are telling people they can't lodge a DA until they've presented to the DAC and gotten feedback. The DAC meets once a month (although this is rumoured to change to twice a month), plus another 2 weeks for feedback so you have 6 weeks of delay/holding costs before you can even get a DA in the system! If it were an internal process that happened as part of their assessment then it would be more palatable. My case was Smith Street on behalf of DoH so the WAPC makes the decision, not Vincent, and so I think they went extra hard on us knowing they were not the determining authority to give their comment more weight once it reaches WAPC. It's a 4 storey development (already 2 storeys over height) and one of their comments was to increase the ceiling heights above the current 2.4m :confused:

This is where DAP's are useful as the Council is locked into an 80 day timeframe and cant budge without the consent of the applicant. All the best with West Pde.

http://www.stirlingcitycentre.com.au/our-plan/

Just a side issue, City of Stirling are a busy crew, some very interesting projects on the horizon.

Cheers, MTR

They have some ambitious plans at Stirling, which will be great if/when they get off the ground. They are significantly short on [human] resources though, with even simple DA's taking minimum 28 days to even be allocated to a planner :eek:

Speaking of plans such as this, albeit smaller scale, how much value do you think is in buying a house in an outer area (>50km from CBD) with no amenities (local shops, school, cafe etc), knowing that an entire town centre (shops, school, cafes etc) is planned and will be developed within a couple years. Is the actual development of the town centre likely to result in a spike in CG? Or because it's been planned for a while and is public knowledge, has that ship sailed?

Cheers

What do you guys think about Spearwood? It seems to have some fairly high R rated areas and the prices are fairly reasonable from the looks of it. Does anyone have any insights into the potential of the area and what to look out for?

They have some ambitious plans at Stirling, which will be great if/when they get off the ground. They are significantly short on [human] resources though, with even simple DA's taking minimum 28 days to even be allocated to a planner :eek:

Speaking of plans such as this, albeit smaller scale, how much value do you think is in buying a house in an outer area (>50km from CBD) with no amenities (local shops, school, cafe etc), knowing that an entire town centre (shops, school, cafes etc) is planned and will be developed within a couple years. Is the actual development of the town centre likely to result in a spike in CG? Or because it's been planned for a while and is public knowledge, has that ship sailed?

Cheers

You mean like Alkimos or Yanchep/Two Rocks?

If so, look back at Joondalup about 20 years ago and look there now.

Back