how to copy mobi/ePub files from PC to iPad

I think i have to use Calibre to convert mobi files to ePub so iPad can read them but how do i copy the files across to iPad? Do i have to use iTunes or can i do it through Windows Explorer? When i plug iPad into a PC with a USB cable, it shows as a drive in Win Explorer but i can only see photos, no ebooks. The kindle has a folder called 'documents' that i can copy ebooks into but i can't see anything with iPad. Is it possible? Should i get a Samsung Galaxy tablet instead? Is Android easier than iOS for copying ebooks? Thanks.

Have a look at the free app Dropbox. I don't know about those file formats specifically, but I is very good at transferring files between PCs as well as to/from iPhone. The software needs to be downloaded onto each PC and login details provided, after that it's just a folder which can be viewed or updated across all devices.

Sometimes I email files but that's more fiddly.

Have a look at the free app Dropbox. I don't know about those file formats specifically, but I is very good at transferring files between PCs as well as to/from iPhone. The software needs to be downloaded onto each PC and login details provided, after that it's just a folder which can be viewed or updated across all devices.

Sometimes I email files but that's more fiddly.
Dropbox is amazing!

I only stumbled upon it recently and it makes life so much easier.

I can be working on the iPad - save the file, and it updates on all devices. Perfect for when I'm out on the road.

Cheers

Jamie

Apple sucks.

I have an iphone and was umming and arring over whether to get an ipad or a Samsum Galaxy Tab 10.1. I decided on the samsung even though it cost more and it is so much easier than the Apple iphone/ipad. You can see directories and can just copy files across. It can be connected to the laptop with a USB cable which charges it as well.

The only problem is that the 10.1 is banned in Australia. I looked at them in Japan, $1000 and ended up getting one in Thailand, Pattaya for about $500 3G with Wiifii. I am going to switch my phone over too. No restrictions on what files play either.

Thanks Geoff, i'll give Dropbox a try .. i want something that can read directorys which i'm having problems with iPhone and iPad but want to avoid jailbreaking the phone.

Thanks Terry, i read Apple and Samsung are still trying to bury each other in injunction hell .. i think they've lost in the Netherlands and Oz but had a win in the US. I think i'll convert to Samsung too .. i like the Samsung Galaxy S2 phone ($500) and the 10.1 sounds better than the iPad. Good to hear Pattaya are selling 10.1's for $500 (i'll be back next month) which are the same price here in HK. FYI, they sell 2nd hand 10.1's here for $360, 2nd hand iPhone 3's for $40 and 2nd hand iPhone 4's for $50. Phone and GPS jammers range from $25 to $400. I went to Shenzhen yesterday where they had copy iPads for $100!

Thanks for the info. Wouldn't mind getting some iphones for my young kids. I picked up some copy iphone 4s in BKK and they were wrapped in them for 2 days while they worked. 1700B each. BTW, they were even selling iphone 5s in bangkok a month ago.

Ha i didn't even know the iphone 5 was out, must be copys . Next time you're in the LOS, think about getting a return flight to HK from BKK for $200 (inc taxes) if you want to stock up on some tech gear. Flight takes 3.5hrs. Catch the MTR to Sham Shui Po and take exit C2 where you'll find all the shops and market stalls selling new and 2nd hand gear.

Ha i didn't even know the iphone 5 was out, must be copys . Next time you're in the LOS, think about getting a return flight to HK from BKK for $200 (inc taxes) if you want to stock up on some tech gear. Flight takes 3.5hrs. Catch the MTR to Sham Shui Po and take exit C2 where you'll find all the shops and market stalls selling new and 2nd hand gear.

Ok thanks. I actually did go to HK from Thailand a few months ago on my way to Japan but didn't know where to look (and what to look for).

Download Kindle for iPad.

Then just use iTunes to add the mobi files.

Click on your device, then select apps. Scroll down to file sharing and select Kindle then add the files.

Then hit sync.

Cheers Evan i'll give sharepod a go.
Simon i think your instructions assume i've already got the mobi files on the ipad.. or maybe it's about synching itunes on the PC with the ipad? I'll ty it later thanks.

As far as I can see Sharepod is used to transfer files from an iPod device to PC only- not in the other direction.

Cheers Evan i'll give sharepod a go.
Simon i think your instructions assume i've already got the mobi files on the ipad.. or maybe it's about synching itunes on the PC with the ipad? I'll ty it later thanks.

Nope - you plug the iPad into your PC then transfer them from the PC to the Ipad.

I read books on it all the time.

Back