How to deal with strata mgmt

How do i deal with my strata management? Seems like they are taking me for a ride. Everytime I ask them to do something, they don't do it and make up all these excuses to say they are too busy.

My apartment is leaking and I need them to chase the builder for me but i'm not getting anywhere.

I've had the same issue. Got the other owners on board and now self manage the strata. Saves a bundle in strata management fees and the quotes for maintenance, gardening etc are now SO much cheaper now that they are quoting to owners who are price sensitive instead of a management company who really don't try to get the best deal for the owners at all.

Yep, I feel your frustration...

Firstly, put it in writing to the Strata Management company and your Council of Owners (owner reps) if you have one. And follow-up with a second letter within 2 weeks, and another one, and another one...

Secondly, find out if you can register your complaint direct with the Builders Dispute Tribunal in your state. If you can, do it as quickly as you can because the process can be quite lengthy - but at least you will get a result & builders generally don't like going through the Tribunal process.

I had a similar issue and in the end went it alone via the Builders Tribunal and got it resolved. The last AGM of Strata Mgt they were still talking about how they were going to get the issue resolved (after 2 years!!).

Good luck with it...

Haha... you should see the email trail between me & my strata manager for my PPOR.. complex has 48 t/houses.... minimal proactiveness (read none) from owners and a strata manager who does the minimum - collect fees, pay bills etc and just before the AGM comes up with a bunch of 1/2 thought out ideas to present so they aren't seen as doing nothing all year... Jsut found out our reserve fund balance and thought it was less than expected.. I emailed a reply "just wondering, I thought it would have been higher... probably nothing.. but if you have any details...." No response.. I ask if I can get some details on payments as I don't think we've spent anything since doing up the gardens to be done up (waste of $4.5k right there, but that's besides the pont).. No response, 2nd email I say that it makes me wonder now but again, probably nothing your reply will probably show that & put my mind at ease... No response. I ring the offie to speak to her, not there yeet, fair enough, I ask the lady on the ph what she believes is a reasonable timeframe to get such questions ansered by email, she mentions around 4 hours, I say so 3 days (not including the w/end just passed) is a long time then ? As it porbalby is nothing, it would be worth her getting back to me, otherwise, what else can I do but wonder, panic & start looking at I don't know, ringing REIWA for advice.. I get a call from the manager telling me she is extremely disspointed at the inference... er, excuse me... she sends me a transaction report till end of Feb 09, no balance, just transations... I notice a payment of $6400 for insurance, a transfer to the general ledger of $1000.. I ask for a starting & ending balance (didn't raise the issue of the expenses except when on that phone call when she said she had authorisation - from whom I thought ? Last year she kindly nominated all 48 owner onto the council of owners, the expenses were drawn in Oct 09, after the AGM, I dont remember being asked / told about it)...

Fun & games (actually not really)... Of course, we moved to this company cause the previous one was hopeless !

are you speaking to the body corporation manager?
if no joy speak to the principal of the body corp. even send emails if necessary.
is there a resident representative who acts as a go between with residents and the strata management/body corp.?
keep a record of any communications and outcomes.
how far way is the next meeting?
urgent matters must be attended promptly. leaking might be covered by insurance.
not in your state so unsure of your legal rights but feel sure there would be a state govt body overseeing the strata/body corp?
sounds very frustrating!
regards

My building has leaked before (potentially due to builder cutting corners) and they fixed it. Not long afterwards its leaking again. Water leaks are a big issue.....how can i get it fixed permenantly? Seems like builder is just trying to put a temp fix in but as I am not in the field, i don't know. My strata doesn't do crap, you kick once and they move a millimetre, you kick again and they move another millimeter. I'm sick of this.

My building has leaked before (potentially due to builder cutting corners) and they fixed it. Not long afterwards its leaking again. Water leaks are a big issue.....how can i get it fixed permenantly? Seems like builder is just trying to put a temp fix in but as I am not in the field, i don't know. My strata doesn't do crap, you kick once and they move a millimetre, you kick again and they move another millimeter. I'm sick of this.

Water leak in the ceiling? If so advise them that should the ceiling fall whilst you are present that you will sue the asses off them.

Nothing more to add ;)

Back