How to diferentiate b/w normal wear and tear and damaged

Hi Somersofters,

My property got vacated last week. After tenanat left, I did inspection and found fllowing issues:

1) Stain on main bedroom wall

2) cabinet wood got damaged due to spill of some cleaning chemical
3) Tower hanger lose now. It rotates down with the application of small force.
4) Paint damaged on one of window's wall.

I have attached the pictures. I am not sure what damages will be covered under normal wear and tear and what can be deducted from the bond.

Also, if you can give me guesstimate for repair of each as per your experience, I will really appreciate this.

Thanks

Attachments

• Bedroom stain.JPG
    Bedroom stain.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Cupboard.JPG
    Cupboard.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Tower Hanger.JPG
    Tower Hanger.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Window Paint.JPG
    Window Paint.JPG
    896.3 KB · Views: 80
I would guess repairs would be a couple hundred dollars and can be done by a trades person.

the wall needs to be painted over the stained bit and colour matched not the entire wall.

I would put them all in as tenant damage, get a quote written up and proceed to deduct that from the bond.
most tenants will not argue.

If they do, a tribunal judge will decide - most likely they are damage. Not sure about the rail however.

You will need before photos in the initial condition report

How long have the tenants been there? If that's the worst that happened then I'd say you're laughing.

I had tenants in a brand new house for 6 months only ... had to replace nearly $8,000 worth of carpet when they left.

Tribunal judged it as wear and tear :(

Im with Lizzie, if thats the worst that happened you are doing okay. My PM just sends me a list like that and I fix whatever I can before the next tenant comes in myself. Otherwise get a general handyman through your PM.

I would put them all in as tenant damage, get a quote written up and proceed to deduct that from the bond. most tenants will not argue.
You should be my PM Xenia. This has never happened to me in the 9 years I've rented my IP. Ive never received extra money at the end of a tenancy from bond money being witheld.

Back