How to evict a tenant?

Dear All,

I really am hoping that you guys in this forum can help me with my issue. I have never thought I would get a bad tenant, until today. Here is the story:

I am the owner of an NRAS property in Annerley, QLD, and since September last year, a new tenant moved in. Everything went well, until last month he has showed difficulty in paying rent. Up to now, he has been six weeks in arrears.

My agent has issued him a notice to leave last week, and tomorrow is the last day he is supposed to leave. When my agent inspected the property today, they were disgusted at the state the property is in. Tenant?s daughter and another lady was home at the time of inspection (but they were not in the contract). The whole apartment was extremely dirty and messy. There was a jack russell in the apartment at the
time of the inspection, with dog food over the floor. The apartment smells of cigarettes. It was very hard to walk through the apartment due to the amount of clutter. Ceiling fan was extremely dusty; filthy toilet and basin, and heavily stained courtyard. The property smelt extremely badly of cigarette smoke, and there was also a full ash tray out on the couch as well. The carpets are heavily stained, as are some of the walls and also the back patio.

My question is, if you are familiar with law in Queensland, what is the best and quickest way to get this tenant evicted? Is there a possibility for me to recoup the money needed for the cleaning, and to restore the unit to its previous state?

Please help, and share if you have similar experience too. Thank you in advance for your reply and assistance.

Last edited:
I would continue with the rental arrears, which your PM has already issued.

I guess my question would be... why did your PM wait so long, if the tenant is already 6 weeks in arrears?

Obviously you've got a slack property manager. Get on their case quick smart! They should be following the tenancy laws to get your tenant evicted ASAP.

You need to be up on QLD tenancy rules so google and start reading, after some reading direct your PM to do their job properly.

Is 6 weeks arrears considered a long time for the PM not to follow up?

YES!

I don't have a lot of knowledge of the procedure in Qld, but I'm pretty sure it's similar to other States, and that they should be sending out notices as soon as it's 14 days in arrears.

Back