How to fix existing pavings?

I have a couple of issues with my existing pavings:

1. Some of the pavers start sinking, typically along the trench lines where there are pits.

attachment.php

If I lifted some of the pavers up, this is what I can see..

attachment.php

The paver guy actually lifted them all up before and checked the pipe, and confirmed there's no leaking pipe. So only way they could imagine is the pip overflow or the surface water pool, causing damp and washed off the pavers set and then slowly washed off the sand underneath... Could it be the case?

What is the solution here? I am thinking of lifting them up and then put quarry rubbles around the pipe, and then cover with bedding sand and put the pavers back with lots of paver sets in joins...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 355
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 336
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 77
remove , take some sand out if its thick in places , replace with crushed gravel
compact and water down well then a small screen of sand on top then relay pavers.

Thanks for replying. Do you know where I can get those gravel? Would Bunnings have them? Also, do you mean the pipe would be wrapped with those gravel? Would that cause pressure to the pipe and might break it?

What you mean by water down, the gravel?

Search for a local landscape supply or nursery and see if you can get
half a scoop delivered , anything at bunnings in bags will be expensive.
Either crushed gravel or road base.

Ok... so if I use gravel to cover up the pipe...would it cause pressure to the pipe and break it at some stage?? I assume gravel and pretty hard object and pipe can be vulnerable??

and would this work:

attachment.php

Attachments

• sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 269
Looks to me like it wasn't properly compacted which is a must for paving to stay flat.
If it wasn't compacted then it will settle and gaps like that will happen.
You can fix it by putting in gravel mix and sand like suggested. It needs to be a fine/dense material with little gaps so that it can be tight and compact. Watering it will help improve the density and compact it

Did a professional do the work for you? The job hasn't been done properly. Talk to a paving contractor who knows how to remedy the problem. Don't use road base to screed under the pavers. Compacted road base can be used as a sub grade but a finer material that can be screeded and compacted is better to lay your pavers on.

If you contracted someone to do this I would be asking them to fix it.

The fix will be revealed in the how to do it right in the first place.

Here is a very recent good thread about paving.
http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96512

I agree with Rockstar. You need to get the installer to fix it as it does look like a dodgy installation job from the photos.

Or, were the pipes bput in at a later date to the paving.
If so then the plumber needs to do some explaining perhaps.

This looks like a bigger settlement issue, just topping up the level may not solve the problem if there is something going on lower down or adjacent to the area.

What is causing the settlement close to your fence line, a slope, poor compacted material, water running in from somewhere?

Jim

Back